BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #45
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post
hmmm what happens to car warranty when an independent mechanic installs suspension?
As far as my dealership is concerned, I asked them what would happen (concerning warranty) if I installed parts myself. They told me if parts break, they replace parts and I do all the labor. But if they installed it, labor and parts would be covered under warranty.

This sounded fair in idea, but then when push came to shove I could see them blaming the install for the parts breaking if I put everything on myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #46
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
As far as my dealership is concerned, I asked them what would happen (concerning warranty) if I installed parts myself. They told me if parts break, they replace parts and I do all the labor. But if they installed it, labor and parts would be covered under warranty.

This sounded fair in idea, but then when push came to shove I could see them blaming the install for the parts breaking if I put everything on myself.
You know I never thought about it but does the factory warranty even cover worn shocks/struts? That's the only performance suspension component that might "break."
      11-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #47
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
You know I never thought about it but does the factory warranty even cover worn shocks/struts? That's the only performance suspension component that might "break."
Nope. Thats a "wear and tear" item.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #48
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaccaro View Post
break pads are "wear and tear" and are covered anyway :s
So are windshield wiper blades, which are covered as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #49
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

My CA told me it is everything but tires.

In fact, there was some discussion on one of the other forums here on 1addicts that if you replace a stock part with a BMW Performance part (think rotors or suspension) that they are covered for the full new-car warranty period. That does not pertain to add-ons like a strut brace added after delivery (they get 2 years), just the parts as equipped. But if the strut brace is installed pre-delivery it is covered for the full new-car warranty.

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #50
cnd1er
Rep
Drives: 135

Wow! Great thread. I am impressed by everyone's enthusiasm and creativity ... too bad BMW does not offer performance options the way they do paint colours and interior options.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #51
kazak
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Some initial impressions for all, regarding the BMW Performance Suspension and Dinan Stage 2 mods.

One of these days, I'll get my signature updated with my vehicle information, but for the moment: 135i, Monaco Blue, Sport Package, Auto (YES, AUTO - read my earlier entry!), stock wheels.

I'll start out by saying that I don't believe the BMW P/S is worth it for serious track-bound drivers. I think you are better off installing a suspension you can adjust for on/off track, which suits your liking and driving skills. However, I will say, being someone who will maybe track the car twice a year, just for weekend entertainment - the BMW P/S is a perfect compromise of handling improvement and driving comfort.

There is no doubt about my being a 'spirited' driver, and where I can (without putting others in danger), I do tend to push the limits - fast long highway ramps, etc. The turn-in's are more crisp, lane changes are quick, and body roll has been markedly reduced, all with only some loss of comfort and quiet on smooth blacktop roads. I haven't bottomed out (yet) after 500 miles of breaking the new suspension in, which is a good sign, given some of the less-than-stellar highways around the Chicago area.

Three reasons I would recommend the BMW P/S package: (1) I feel a greater sense of assurance that my off-track skills (or lack thereof) will not get me into a situation I cannot get out of - the package is very predictable in both its turn-ins at slow speed and understeer at high speed, (2) ride quality has not suffered significantly - and I suspect it will be much better when I can get rid of these damned RFT's, and (3) I don't have to screw around with any adjustments.

With the Dinan 2 and the BMW P/S, this is the most fun one can have for less than $50k! Maybe, I'll get around to doing the intake, but for the time being, that's about all the mod's I need. I stayed away from the wheel upgrades and other 'visible' mods because frankly, the way I drive, I don't need to attract the attention! And besides, what a blast I recently had pulling up to a Carerra 4S on the highway, and pulling away!

I'll get some pictures together of the car as it is now and get them posted in the next couple of days. I agree overall, it seems to have lowered the body about 0.75" - just about right for me. I'll be putting on Dunlop snows with Borbet wheels in the next couple of weeks, and take some additional pictures with the snows on. FOR ALL OF YOU CONSIDERING DRIVING THROUGH THE SNOW ON THE SUMMER RFT'S -- DON'T! You will break away, and it may cost you far more than what you might have otherwise spent swapping wheels. Those RFTs are hard as rocks when the temps drop below 40 degrees.

More suspension thoughts to come later.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #52
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

nice write up! :smile:
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #53
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Another driver's initial impressions of BMW performance suspension. I just got mine today and agree with kazak.

It's probably not for serious track-oriented drivers, but wow. For me, I just feel that this is the way the 135 should have come in the first place, at least if you ordered the sport suspension. It feels perfect. Perfect. Balanced. Tight. Composed. It feels like it's the suspension the car was made for. I say this after being pretty happy with the car, except for how undamped it felt going over undulations, for 15,000 km.

With the winter runflats on, I really feel the texture of the road as the surface changes. The car is better damped when I go over dips, though still maybe not as much as I'd like (someone pointed out that having non-runflats takes away a lot of the bounce, so I'll see about in the spring).

But the best and weirdest thing is the way the car tracks around curves and roundabouts. It's really, really flat. Flat in a way that I've never experienced before (I'm no expert). Like a video game or something. Attached to the ground the way roller coaster wheels are attached to their rails. Not quite real.

So for me, it's perfect. I like to corner quickly but safely and definitely not race on public roads. "Spirited driving," I guess. The car now delivers that experience perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #54
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

Got the Performance Suspension too now.

Just awesome. Perfect for lonely roads :biggrin:

If you look for a suspension wich is a no brainer, get this!
      11-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #55
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'm still split between this and the KW V1 coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #56
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Wouldn't the KWs be sportier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I'm still split between this and the KW V1 coilovers.
The BMW performance suspension doesn't make the car more racy. It makes it more supple, more "just so." More the way you would want a perfect road car to be. The way it should have been from the start.

I wouldn't even notice the drop unless I saw one with performance suspension next to one without. So if you want the car to be more trackable, performance suspension would probably be not the most cost-effective thing you could do.

That said, I'm running on 17-inch winter wheels and tires right now. The performance difference might be much more substantial with the 18-inch staggered summer set. So what do I know?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #57
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
That said, I'm running on 17-inch winter wheels and tires right now. The performance difference might be much more substantial with the 18-inch staggered summer set. So what do I know?
I don't know, I kind of liked your report. :smile:

Would you be so kind as to post another impression after you switch to the summer setup, please?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #58
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Sure, but that's six months away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I don't know, I kind of liked your report. :smile:

Would you be so kind as to post another impression after you switch to the summer setup, please?
The only drawback about living in Sweden. I can't put the summer set on again until March or April. But I'll definitely post an update.

Thanks for the kind words.:smile:
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #59
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
The only drawback about living in Sweden. I can't put the summer set on again until March or April. But I'll definitely post an update.

Thanks for the kind words.:smile:
That's the same time I put my on summer shoes here in Virginia, and we're much lower down on the latitudes than you. The Gulf Stream is so nice to Europe! For God sakes, Rome has palm trees yet is the exact same latitude as frigid-snowy Boston.

BTW, that was a very nice write-up. You've sold me on the BMW P.S. It will be my next mod after I finish my exhaust set-up. I will track my car at most 6 times per year but I don't want to lose its everyday drivability. The BMW P.S. sounds perfect for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #60
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
The BMW performance suspension doesn't make the car more racy. It makes it more supple, more "just so." More the way you would want a perfect road car to be. The way it should have been from the start.
I plan to take off the stock RFT's and use non-RFTs eventually, so I'm concerned if the performance suspension is optimized for the run-flats. I actually prefer the "set it & forget it" principle behind this suspension package, but the KW's have my attention because it appears optimized for use with non-RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #61
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Another hesitation for me: The KW's are cheaper to install (less labor), but the BMW performance suspension is a more complete package with upgraded struts and front sway bar, and I prefer to keep everything "BMW".

Decisions... :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #62
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

I don't think anything is optimized for RFTs.

Quote:
I plan to take off the stock RFT's and use non-RFTs eventually, so I'm concerned if the performance suspension is optimized for the run-flats. I actually prefer the "set it & forget it" principle behind this suspension package, but the KW's have my attention because it appears optimized for use with non-RFTs.
In my conversations with the guy at the service desk, who is a real aficionado and tracks one of his cars, he seems to feel that the performance suspension will be even better with non-RFTs. And I should say that no one at the dealer tried to sell me on this package.

Now, I wonder what a carbon fiber strut brace would do...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #63
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Maybe wait until you switch tires?

Quote:
It's possible that when you switch tires you'll be happy with the suspension the way it is.

Also, the stock suspension is just as "optimized" for runflats as the performance suspension. Therefore, if your stock suspension improves with the change of tires, you can probably be sure that the performance suspension would be better with non-runflat tires, too, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #64
gmag21
Private First Class
Rep

I just want a suspension that is well enough to get the job done on the streets. Im not a super-track person, yet I see myself at some point taking it to track in the future for fun. I like to drive aggressive on the streets (especially around sharp corners). You guys think I should invest in the BMW Performance Suspension? I like the feedback. I just want to make sure it can handle my driving style. Not super competitive, yet I like the idea that I can take turns hard with confidence (not like turning at 100 mph or anything insane, but much faster than normal). I really want the performining suspension because one time I had this crazy guy chasing me, and he was following me.. I had an adrenaline rush, and i basically went all out taking turns in my honda at like 45mph without slowing. I want that assurance that if I get in that situation again, that I have capabilities to whip around corners like its nothing. I do like the idea of keeping my car "BMW" as well.

Should I go with the bmw performance suspension? (hopefully enough to fufill my needs)

Or go with like a KW2 suspension (all the way)

Idk idk.. decisions, decisions..

:eyebulge:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #65
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag21 View Post
I just want a suspension that is well enough to get the job done on the streets. Im not a super-track person, yet I see myself at some point taking it to track in the future for fun. I like to drive aggressive on the streets (especially around sharp corners). You guys think I should invest in the BMW Performance Suspension? I like the feedback. I just want to make sure it can handle my driving style. Not super competitive, yet I like the idea that I can take turns hard with confidence (not like turning at 100 mph or anything insane, but much faster than normal). I really want the performining suspension because one time I had this crazy guy chasing me, and he was following me.. I had an adrenaline rush, and i basically went all out taking turns in my honda at like 45mph without slowing. I want that assurance that if I get in that situation again, that I have capabilities to whip around corners like its nothing. I do like the idea of keeping my car "BMW" as well.

Should I go with the bmw performance suspension? (hopefully enough to fufill my needs)

+1. I share the same needs precisely. Even the taking turns at 45mph without slowing part.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #66
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag21 View Post

Hard to say. From what you're telling me it sounds like you haven't had any or much track / competition (local autocrossing perhaps?) experience. That being said the car in its stock form can easily "take curves at 100 mph." Hell, I can take some curves in my sister's FJ at 70 mph.

I would suggest to go autocross or track the car. Then ask yourself what you really find disappointing about stock suspension, and what areas does it lack in reference to you.

Who knows, the stock suspension might be your ticket (saving you $$$).
Appreciate 0