BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
soohoolm
Rep
Drives: 128i

I have a question about the alarm system. We are still in the purchasing stage of our 128i Convertible quest. The dealer told me that an alarm isn't necessary on a BMW! I of course didn't believe him,I mean what do you guys reckon ? Is it overkill ? I personally feel better WITH an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It isn't neccesary, but it is nice to have. A lot of things on the 1 series aren't necessary. The Alarm offers among other things, the flashing light alert, it offers convenient operatio of opening the windows and the convert top with the remote (without requirirng convenient access). Not to mention the motion sensor and door/trunk alarms. It also offers you the door chirp when locking.

Your dealer means that a 1 series without an alarm can't be hot wired and stolen, the computer maintains that function.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #25
soohoolm
Rep
Drives: 128i

Alarm

Thanks Lester,

Yes that's what he means can't be hot wired. The AW Convertible 135i we are looking at is pre wired for alarm so we will be getting the alarm at some point. We live in a relatively quiet town lots of students but not lots of auto thefts. Most of those were ,leaving the car unlocked and running while in the house. We both know a determined thief will try to steal anything and I'm sure our insurance company will appreciate it also! , Cheers!
Appreciate 0