BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
SGM <3
Internet Famous
Rep
Drives: '09 SGM 135i

DSC, Traction Control, and ABS all stopped working.

Just got new coilovers installed, and after adjusting them to a height I was happy with I got in and started the car up. Upon turning on all three of the lights mentioned above came on in amber, and stay lit for the whole duration of the car running. (I will take a picture later).

Went to O'Reilly today to check if any codes and been thrown, and to my surprise none had been thrown. I then proceeded to check all my fuses, and again to my confusion all the ones related to DSC and ABS were in perfect condition.

From what I've read online it's probably one of the sensors in the wheel well (Wheel rotation one? or the DSC one), but wouldn't that throw a code right away?

Thanks in advance, I'll get pictures posted later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Did you by chance accidentally break or forget to reattach one of the sensors that report pitch of the car? There's one up front and one in back. If the front one is in the front left corner, the rear one will be on the right hand side. They're very easy to miss when taking things apart or reassembling.
      07-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
SGM <3
Internet Famous
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Did you by chance accidentally break or forget to reattach one of the sensors that report pitch of the car? There's one up front and one in back. If the front one is in the front left corner, the rear one will be on the right hand side. They're very easy to miss when taking things apart or reassembling.
Do you have any idea where they are located in the wheel well? There is a chance I may have forgotten to reconnect them. Hopefully that is the case, it appears buying new sensors is a little costly.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
giOsaurus rEx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP

Sounds to me like you need to take it to the dealership and get the Wheel Speed Sensor recalibrated.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM <3 View Post
Do you have any idea where they are located in the wheel well? There is a chance I may have forgotten to reconnect them. Hopefully that is the case, it appears buying new sensors is a little costly.
They attach to the control arms, about in the middle of them. I forget if it's front left or right though. I want to say front left though...
      08-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

by any chance, did you get a 4 wheel alignment done after installing the coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
SGM <3
Internet Famous
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
by any chance, did you get a 4 wheel alignment done after installing the coilovers?
I did not, I wanted to get my coilovers down to where I wanted them before getting an alignment. My alignment was off before I had the new coilovers installed, seeming as I had ST coilovers beforehand. So I can't see it being that, but I will get it done.

EDIT
; I forgot to add this earlier, but whenever I brake while cornering my brakes will make a funny clamping noise, and then push back against my foot about half an inch. Absolutely no clue as to what could be causing this. Maybe I do need an alignment and this is all due to new camber?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM <3 View Post
I did not, I wanted to get my coilovers down to where I wanted them before getting an alignment. My alignment was off before I had the new coilovers installed, seeming as I had ST coilovers beforehand. So I can't see it being that, but I will get it done.

EDIT
; I forgot to add this earlier, but whenever I brake while cornering my brakes will make a funny clamping noise, and then push back against my foot about half an inch. Absolutely no clue as to what could be causing this. Maybe I do need an alignment and this is all due to new camber?
You need to get an alignment done. The steering angle sensor is thrown off by the install. All the nannies are off and the car will drive funny. Get the alignment, drive about 2 miles and everything will function fine. Happened to me when I first installed my coil overs.
Appreciate 0