BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Ferdi14
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Exclamation Car shaking side to side upon start up (AGAIN)

Hello all, I have posted threads a while back for this same issue.

The issue is intermittent shaking from side to side upon start up, it doesn't happen everytime but every once in a while. A few days ago it started up and the RPM's moved up and down in between one little line. (sorry, don't know the name for the little lines on the rpm guage). For about 3 or 4 seconds. The car only does this when it's warmed up. It has 38,000 miles and was bought new. I noticed the intermittent shaking in August of 2012 right before it's first oil change. I have told the mechanics at the dealership about it but it happens so seldom that they can make it happen. Now, the shaking is very subtle lasting for about 3 to 4 seconds. No warning lights or anything. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow so they can check it out.

This is odd because I cannot find anything on the internet regarding this problem, and it hasn't triggered any light on the dash so I imagine that they won't find a solution but has anyone in this forum had this problem ?

What could be the issue ?

Don't know if this matters but I got a letter in the mail regarding a recall of VANOS mechanisms in the engines of these cars.

Would that have anything to do with it ?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Rough idle sounds like possible DCT issue....?

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
///Maria
Banned
Rep
Drives: 235i, M3, 328i, A4, Ferrari360

could be 10 million reasons. Anything from fuel related to spark to vacuum and so on and so on and so on... Have them pull codes. There must be some stored on the back end.. If not, my first thing would be a smoke test, check for vacuum leaks and move on from there. They can also run "Smooth Running Values" and pin point any ignition problems. These cars are so advanced, its not hard to find, If you know what you are looking for... Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Anygirl
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i

This was happening in my 2008 128i on and off... At first it was just rough idle every once in a while when it was cold out, then it gradually over a year or so got worse until I saw a change in rpms at idle. Eventually, after much internet searching and trial and error, I replaced the spark plugs (they were old) and an ignition coil. Did the trick. There's a bunch of info about this is a semi-common problem to the 1. I'll see if I can find the threads I was reading at the time....
Hope that helps? Good luck.
Appreciate 0