BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

Trading In the 'is!

So, in order to be a good son, I've decided to buy my mom a nicely equipped X1.

Now, I have an issue that I won't be able to uninstall my MusicarNW level 3 + TSW kit before the evaluation.

I plan on taking the car in as it is, and just bring the stock equipment in as well. My reasoning is that, since the entire system is a vast improvement over the stock system, and looks OEM, they shouldn't have an issue with knocking off points. But, if they do, the stock stuff can be had.

Am I in fantasy land here? Is there any information or advice anyone can give me on how to handle this?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Not all that familiar with Musicar but isn't the whole appeal that the system integrates with OEM seamlessly? So would anyone even notice that an aftermarket audio system has been installed?

TSW kit - is that TSW wheels? If you tell them you have oe wheels then they shouldn't penalize you on trade-in.

Can I call first dibs on Musicar?
      08-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Would you consider selling your Musicar system? How much would you ask for it?

Awww.... screw it. I'm calling Musicar myself. I've had it with my piece of crap HK upgrade.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

Honestly, dude? The highest music car system is still just "good" for the price of "great."

I had a pretty uninspiring time with the installation process after I made a week's vacation out of taking it up there to have "the guy's" themselves install it.

Don't get me wrong - nice guys all around, and their fabricator is awesome and well worth it. But the main manager, as he seems to be, has the knowledge of setting up systems, and is the driving force behind the "knowledge" of the system set ups. He knows his stuff, but it isn't above and beyond what any enthusiast of audio knows.

The components they use are pretty much higher end models of what OEM manufs use, and aren't incredibly special.

In my opinion, if you're going to go the route of stealth audio upgrades, and you live near a metro, you could probably stretch the thousands of dollars that a MCNW system costs into a better deal.

My install job was a rush in a day, and they fit my "tuning" time into right before the shop closed. I had no say in it, and was pretty unimpressed with the way it had been set up. I wound up needing to adjust a tweeter that had no been correctly positioned in the driver side tweeter pod.

It sounds great, is very neutral when you run a flat EQ, and I have no regrets with having installed since my HiFi system was junk. The guys there are incredibly nice, and I wish them all the best.

But, as a consumer, and as a typical internet audio snob, I would give you my honest opinion that you could do more with the cash, more than likely, from any non-ghetto audio shop.

The idea of OEM+ is not exclusively the rights of the guys up there, and so, as long as you don't just rip off their component list completely, there is no reason you couldn't use it more as inspiration and a guideline for how you'd like another set of guys to handle the job.

No complaints against any of the guys there. Love the fabricator - guy is really good and has a lot of passion that I found refreshing - but they can be a pain in the ass to deal with due to the constraints of them being a small shop. Trying to get ahold of them can be a headache.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii
Not all that familiar with Musicar but isn't the whole appeal that the system integrates with OEM seamlessly? So would anyone even notice that an aftermarket audio system has been installed?

TSW kit - is that TSW wheels? If you tell them you have oe wheels then they shouldn't penalize you on trade-in.

Can I call first dibs on Musicar?
Ha, I wish. TSW= trunk subwoofer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport
Would you consider selling your Musicar system? How much would you ask for it?

Awww.... screw it. I'm calling Musicar myself. I've had it with my piece of crap HK upgrade.
Oh, and if your HK system is anything like the one in my 1M, you WILL not be blown away by the upgrade considering the price of entry.

The HK system in my car is a bass emphasized set up. Which is awesome for EDM but lackluster for 75% of commonly heard music genres. Also, since it's heavily bass centric, and has no dedicated subwoofer, all of the lowend being directed to the woofers installed really demonstrates what shortcomings they possess.

They're fine, but they're better for mid bass, and that's the only job they should have to deal with.

The tweeters aren't the most stellar either. They're the only real speakers I'd say are worth upgrading alone.

So, in my opinion, which, as far as you're concerned is coming from a possible BSer via the intrawebz0rz, would be to start with adding a subwoofer with a dedicated amp, and adjusting EQ from there.

The next step, if you wanted to go farther, would be to get a new pair of door tweeters that fit OEM dimensions - not hard at all. The only cautionary note here being that, if the next step isn't followed, to ensure they are not especially "sparkling" on the highest range, because they'll pop out too much. Disregard this if you proceed onto...

The deeper route. Upgrade the under seat woofers. You can get very nice sets that match OEM dimensions, and, since your set is HK, shouldn't require any fabrication of the mounts at all.

Lastly, the door woofers. Maybe these should come before the seat set, but whatever. If you're this far in, get all four done.

Whatever route you take, the OEM HK amp is fine. Buuuut, if you're getting better speakers, upgrade this mofo - STAT. Might as well have the correct power output for your new aural companions, right?

If you're not an autistic nerd in love with delving into specific hobbies like a mad man, this may seem daunting. It isn't at all and could be done via enthusiasm... And probably some Redbull ( or crack. ) and any decent shop will be able to handle this no problem.

Just make sure they understand that Dynamat is not a fix for poor speaker mounting technique, have some fabricating experience beyond mounting 26" woofers in Vdubz, and are not dismissive of your input.

PM for some stuff I'd rather not post on an open forum - please don't feel too much dread from that possibly ominous sounding suggestion. This ain't Craigslist.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
Oh, and if your HK system is anything like the one in my 1M, you WILL not be blown away by the upgrade considering the price of entry.

The HK system in my car is a bass emphasized set up. Which is awesome for EDM but lackluster for 75% of commonly heard music genres. Also, since it's heavily bass centric, and has no dedicated subwoofer, all of the lowend being directed to the woofers installed really demonstrates what shortcomings they possess.

They're fine, but they're better for mid bass, and that's the only job they should have to deal with.

The tweeters aren't the most stellar either. They're the only real speakers I'd say are worth upgrading alone.

So, in my opinion, which, as far as you're concerned is coming from a possible BSer via the intrawebz0rz, would be to start with adding a subwoofer with a dedicated amp, and adjusting EQ from there.

The next step, if you wanted to go farther, would be to get a new pair of door tweeters that fit OEM dimensions - not hard at all. The only cautionary note here being that, if the next step isn't followed, to ensure they are not especially "sparkling" on the highest range, because they'll pop out too much. Disregard this if you proceed onto...

The deeper route. Upgrade the under seat woofers. You can get very nice sets that match OEM dimensions, and, since your set is HK, shouldn't require any fabrication of the mounts at all.

Lastly, the door woofers. Maybe these should come before the seat set, but whatever. If you're this far in, get all four done.

Whatever route you take, the OEM HK amp is fine. Buuuut, if you're getting better speakers, upgrade this mofo - STAT. Might as well have the correct power output for your new aural companions, right?

If you're not an autistic nerd in love with delving into specific hobbies like a mad man, this may seem daunting. It isn't at all and could be done via enthusiasm... And probably some Redbull ( or crack. ) and any decent shop will be able to handle this no problem.

Just make sure they understand that Dynamat is not a fix for poor speaker mounting technique, have some fabricating experience beyond mounting 26" woofers in Vdubz, and are not dismissive of your input.

PM for some stuff I'd rather not post on an open forum - please don't feel too much dread from that possibly ominous sounding suggestion. This ain't Craigslist.
Lots of great info here. I'm actually satisfied with the HK system. I just wanted to add a stealth sub + dedicated amp for a clean oem install/look, something like this.
      08-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

That's the route I personally am taking. So good call. Or were both very wrong, haha.

On another note, is it awful that I'm driving the 'is with zero effz given this morning, and I'm refalling in love with it? There's a 1M in the garage, and I'm still thinking "why am I getting rid of this lil stinker ?!"

I have a problem. For realz.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
RW Carbon
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 & G87 M2

I've actually heard really great things about the X1, everyone says the streering is superb. I would definitely be in the market for one if I was to dump my 1er..But I love the 1 too much!

Carbon fiber for the everyday driver: rwcarbon.com
3941 E La Palma Ave Anaheim CA, 92870
info@rwcarbon.com / (714) 328-4406
Instagram/Tiktok/Facebook: @rwcarbon
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

I did it, and my mom seems super thrilled. The dealership experience was pulling teeth, but it's done.

I'm extremely surprised by the way it does it's thing. I dunno. Just so long as she is happy, I'll deal with the beating I took making the thing happen.

Fully loaded X1 except for the HK system upgrade. Reversing into spots is the easiest thing in the world. Not much beyond that to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Lots of great info here. I'm actually satisfied with the HK system. I just wanted to add a stealth sub + dedicated amp for a clean oem install/look, something like this.
I agree, lots of good info. in that post. I also am considering the same course of action as you two...just a sub upgrade on it's own amp. It's a "way down the line" thing, too, because, like you, I just don't hate the HK enough to really do it.
Appreciate 0