BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
mergen
Upstart
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Info from dealer on available colors

My dealer confirmed today that I could come in and place my 135i order as of yesterday. I told him that there was some uncertainty as to color options shown on the bmwusa.com configurator. I emailed and asked him to look at his "official" order kit and let me know which colors would be available. He replied with this:

Here are the colors we can choose from:

A22 Sparkling Graphite
A35 Monaco Blue
A51 Montego Blue
A61 Crimson Red
A72 Cashmere Silver
A79 Sedona Red
300 Alpine White
354 Titanium silver
475 Black Sapphire
668 Jet Black

Leather:

Taupe
Gray
Lemon look great with Black Car
Terracotta
Coral Red
Black

I had given up on the Terracotta and grown fond of the Taupe. Now I have some more thinking to do, if this is accurate. I suspect it is. It came from his dealer online order thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Well, he/she is wrong on the terracotta. It's a misprint on the old 1er coupe catalog. It's supposed to read Terra, which is a totally different color leather.

This is the catalog that he/she was likely looking at.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
mergen
Upstart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Well, he/she is wrong on the terracotta. It's a misprint on the old 1er coupe catalog. It's supposed to read Terra, which is a totally different color leather.

This is the catalog that he/she was likely looking at.
I just called him and asked if he got this info from a catalogue or where, and he said he got it from the online form that he fills out when you come in and order a car, not from a catalogue. He did confirm that the lemon was indeed one of the options, but he said he wanted to do some research on the Terra/Terracotta issue. He said he would email his findings when he had some. Hmmm. . .
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Lemon and Terracotta are confirmed as a priority one and not terra according to my dealer. I guess we will just need to wait and see.
      12-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

If Terracotta really is a P1 option, I might almost have to save the extra $1450 and ditch the black'ette. If it's Terra then I guess my car will be a little cheaper...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I don't believe that Terracotta will be available. The leather code on the earlier document that mentioned Terracotta was the code for Terra (LWB8), and it was an obvious picture of Terra, which I have in my current e90.

They don't make Terracotta leather for any other market in the world for the 1er, but they do make Terra. I believe these dealers are referring to that old document, or yet another document that we've not yet seen also mistakenly identifies Terra as Terracotta.

Ask for the order code from your dealer. I bet it will be LWB8, which signifies Terra.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
They don't make Terracotta leather for any other market in the world for the 1er, but they do make Terra.
That's a point I hadn't even considered. Probably is terra then.:smile:
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
mergen
Upstart
Rep

Quote:

Ask for the order code from your dealer. I bet it will be LWB8, which signifies Terra.
Well, I asked, and he said that the code is LWB8, just like you said. I think I'll have to stop thinking about it and just "wait and see" as suggested by Wolfpack, since I'm not familiar enough with any of these colors to decide without seeing them.
Here's part of what he sent to me:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen View Post
Well, I asked, and he said that the code is LWB8, just like you said. I think I'll have to stop thinking about it and just "wait and see" as suggested by Wolfpack, since I'm not familiar enough with any of these colors to decide without seeing them.
Terra and Terracotta are 2 different colors. Terracotta was available only the X3 in 04-06 I believe. It is more of an orange vs terra which is more of a brown. I prefer the Saddle available on the coupe which seems to fall in between. See Pix. Top is Terracotta and bottom is Terra.
Attached Images

12-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen View Post
LWB8 is the code for Terra leather. The text on their system is incorrect, as I expected. Not unexpected, seeing the QC they've put on the rest of their documents to date.

Matter of fact, go to the UK configurator, and you'll see LWB8 = Terra leather for the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
mergen
Upstart
Rep

Quote:
LWB8 is the code for Terra leather. The text on their system is incorrect, as I expected. Not unexpected, seeing the QC they've put on the rest of their documents to date.
Yeah, that's pretty much what the dealer said. After I pointed out to him what you had said, he replied, "Someone probably got carried away and typed terracotta in the description field instead of terra."

That's good news for me. I much prefer the Terra over Terracotta.

Thanks for the comparative pics, Rossii.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Hold on guys. I am a little behind. The colors mentioned aren't available from the online configurator. Are we sure lemon, terra and terracotta are available? What is priority one.

N/M - I did a search and found the answer.
      12-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

I wonder if the ! next to Coral says something like "May delay, or on backorder"? It is the only color with it from mergen's post.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
I wonder if the ! next to Coral says something like "May delay, or on backorder"? It is the only color with it from mergen's post.
or requires premium package
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

It may be! If BMW sees Coral as the hottest leather color choice they may require Premium to get and make more money, but the config does not require it at least. I see a lot of upset people if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It may be! If BMW sees Coral as the hottest leather color choice they may require Premium to get and make more money, but the config does not require it at least. I see a lot of upset people if that is the case.
In the beginning of all this chaos, it was rumored that in order to have coral, premium must be added......lets keep our fingers crossed this is not the case
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 01:06 AM   #17
mergen
Upstart
Rep

Quote:
Good question. I've asked and when I find out, I'll post the answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
In the beginning of all this chaos, it was rumored that in order to have coral, premium must be added......lets keep our fingers crossed this is not the case
Good point, but Terra was also on the list of rumored to require the Premium Package as well, and it doesn't have the exclamation (but it isn't the selected color either).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #19
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I don't believe that Terracotta will be available. The leather code on the earlier document that mentioned Terracotta was the code for Terra (LWB8), and it was an obvious picture of Terra, which I have in my current e90.

They don't make Terracotta leather for any other market in the world for the 1er, but they do make Terra. I believe these dealers are referring to that old document, or yet another document that we've not yet seen also mistakenly identifies Terra as Terracotta.

How has the Terra held up in your current car? There has been some discussion about the lighter color leathers staining/showing wear very quickly. What do you think? Some pics would be great!:wink:

I really have sort of convinced myself that the black leatherette is going to be the most practical choice, but I really love the look of the Terra/Black trim combo.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #20
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
How has the Terra held up in your current car? There has been some discussion about the lighter color leathers staining/showing wear very quickly. What do you think? Some pics would be great!:wink:
It's been snowy and miserable out (snowing now), and the best I could do is a pic from my garage under high output fluorescents. So, pardon the grime, and here it is. There is a slight bit of wear on the bolster, but remember that I have never treated the leather, and it's almost 3 years old (2 yrs 8 months).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #21
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Terra leather looks great, alright. But I know from experience in E36 M3s with Vader sport seats that the side bolster is subject to extreme wear, with many 6 year old cars having loss of color and/or small tears/holes in that location. The result of endless entry 'rubbage'. Those planning long term ownership need to be aware of BMW's sports leather wear patterns.
      12-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #22
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It's been snowy and miserable out (snowing now), and the best I could do is a pic from my garage under high output fluorescents. So, pardon the grime, and here it is. There is a slight bit of wear on the bolster, but remember that I have never treated the leather, and it's almost 3 years old (2 yrs 8 months).
Thanks Larry, the seats look great even without a lot of treatment!:w00t:

Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to pry my wallet open a little wider!
Appreciate 0