BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcllc View Post
Okay...I'm going to try and answer all of your questions and if I missed one..sorry...

Well as you may already know...the main additions to the Stage II are:

1. The ability to dial in the desired turbo boost...now they didn't raise the amount of additional boost from the Stage I, just the ability to dial in your own...
  1. The longer cord...I shouldn't have to really explain this one...it should be obvious to you what this is for...but I will...to give you easy access to dial in the boost...but as others have mentioned...some may dial it in and never touch it again, where others will want to play with it...so it's a catch 22...if Split Second didn't put the longer cord...they would hear the griping from people as to why they didn't put it on...and then again they put it on and they are still going to hear the gripping...
Now...I know alot of you simply look at the bottom dollar...as you should but you should also look at what you get for it...AND THOSE THAT ACTUAL READ WHAT RETAILERS PUT ON THEIR WEBSITE i THANK YOU... i COULDN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIME WE GET ASKED IF THERE IS A DISCOUNT OFF THE FIXED RETAIL PRICE OF $599....AND WE SHAKE OUR HEADS WHEN WE HAVE TO ASK IF THEY READ IN THE BOLD RED TEXT THE DISCOUNT WE CLEARLY STATE.... SO THANK YOU...YOU MADE MY DAY...HAHA

But anyway back to the point...first off...just to explain I'm not going to comment on a product I don't sell...what I will do is point out why the Split Second Turbo Tuner is definitely worth every bit it is priced at...even without our instant rebate...

1. The Turbo Tuner ever since it's release oh...2 or so years ago...has not gone through a single revision change...it's the same unit that was released then as it is now...even when BMW made the software change to detect units such as these...they were the only one who didn't need to change there unit to still be undetectable...why....because they did their job right the first time....which should say allot about what went into this unit...and the countless hour of R&D to ensure perfect harmony with the BMW ECU....
  2. Also the Turbo Tuner...was the first to be completely PnP using OEM connectors....they set the standard...no fumbling with pins or anything...simply plug it in and un-plug it when needed...making it a great resell able product when or if you ever sell your car...
  3. Also the logic that controls your turbos is very sophisticated...their control logic employs a damping ratio which controls the turbos from ever spiking boost...what this means is that you will never have a condition such that the turbos ever exceeding their preset limit by over boosting...the boost is applied smoothly which protects your engine and your turbo...ensuring that the life of these components are never compromised...
  4. Also something that you may not know...is that the Turbo tuner also monitors the underhood temperature of your car..and no I'm not talking about the TP sensor in the intake tract...but a separate thermocouple embedded in the Turbo Tuner unit itself, which again monitors the temperature surrounding the engine....what it does is when the temperature exceeds a predetermined underhood temperature it backs off the boost, don't' ask me what this temp is as I don't even know this...I assume you know why...and not have to go into the thermodynamics on what happens on higher compression ratio and higher initial temps of a controlled system...
i just want to make sure that you have all the fact straight before you pass judgment on something just based on price.... Split Second is a well respected company that takes pride in their product and will stand behind you if there is ever and issue...and for all the time we have been carrying their Turbo tuners....we have never had one single customer complain about it....

Now as Price seems to be such a brick wall with this unit..I wish I could honestly give you a better price....and we do give our best price up front...that is why we offer an instant rebate.... But you must realize....Split Second isn't just setting the retail at $599 because they want to...they like all manufacturer asses and capture all the cost that goes into making these...If I could lower it anymore I would in a heartbeat... Take for example our BMW Wheel Spacers, we just lowered our prices on these because we are manufacturing these in higher volumes which lowers our cost, so we pass these savings on to you guys... So again if I could I would...trust me...
So what is the boost range for the SSTT2? -- 0-3.5 PSI?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #24
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

The original SSTT is a fine product, that is for sure. It is interesting to read that the SSTT has its own temperature sensor that automatically adjusts boost in accordance to under-hood temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #25
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

[*]The Turbo Tuner ever since it's release oh...2 or so years ago...has not gone through a single revision change...it's the same unit that was released then as it is now...even when BMW made the software change to detect units such as these...they were the only one who didn't need to change there unit to still be undetectable...why....because they did their job right the first time....which should say allot about what went into this unit...and the countless hour of R&D to ensure perfect harmony with the BMW ECU....

I thought there were several minor revisions at least acccording to Jeff at Eurobahn. I have a SSTT that I purchased about 18 months ago for my 2007 335i. Can I use it on my new 2009 335i coupe? How does the newest version differ from mine?

08-23-2008, 08:30 AM #137
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: European

The SSTT while doing the same thing it always had has gone through minor revisions as successive generations. Power levels are the same safe and reliable as always. Give the car a few days to adapt and power delivery will be nearly the same as the stock torque curve

As far as stage 2 goes there have been some set backs in order keep it as stealthy as the original. But development continues!

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #26
NetVader
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

I started an interesting discussion on e90post Link ==> http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258677

It has photos of each circuit board and discussing the differences. A friend looked at the Turbo Tuner and said it DID NOT have a temperature sensor. Can anyone here with engineering background confirm??
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
vmcllc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Faster Than The Speed Limit

Okay...first off...about the revision changes to the Stage I.... they have not made any revision changes since they first released it...and I double checked it with the manufacture of the Turbo Tuner to confirm this....

Now I saw the post over on the e90 board... all I have to say is C'MON.... as far as the means by which they measure the underhood temp....they have three different way to do that...either an RTD, thermocouple, or as one gentlemen said, using it's own circuitry, i.e. a resistor, to measure the ambient air, which is essential using it as an RTD..... Just so you know...you were not going to find a mercury bulb thermometer in there if that is what you were looking for....

Also...the question as to why they would care what the underhood temperature is...Well lets think about this...I can think of about 17 engine operating parameters that will directly influence detonation, this doesn't even include design parameters....but we all know one of them...which is the IAT...and I'm sure if thought real hard you can figure a few more.....but did you also know that included in there is going to be engine temperature!! The engine stores a bunch of heat...and when that nice cool air rushes in...that heat want to jump ship and take a ride on cool train... which now heats up the air after the IAS measured it.... So this external sensor is interpolating what the engine temperature could potentially be with out too much trouble....that all. Now...I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR ON THIS...THEY ARE IN NO WAY USING THIS TEMPERATURE READING TO TUNE YOUR CAR....ALL IT IS DOING IS PROVIDING A SECONDARY SAFETY FEATURE THAT BACKS OFF BOOST TO PREVENT THE TEMPERATURE FROM RISING TOO MUCH CAUSING A SITUATION OF THE ENGINE OVERHEATING....

Lets see...what else...Oh...I do need to make a correction...I did out of error state that the Stage II TT is maxed out at 3.5psi of additional boost...and that is wrong...it's actually 4.0psi, 0.5psi higher that the Stage I...

Also I mentioned that to date there have been no failures or anything...well I guess I told a bit of a white lie... After speaking with Split Second...he did mention that in all the years they have been selling the Original Stage I turbo tuner...the only returns they have ever received was wires pulled from the connectors...now I do want you to be clear on this...this is not in any was a design flaw, but user error...you should know that you never pull a connector or plug from the wires, but from the connector themselves...remember back when your dad would tell you, "Son you should never pull that cord out of the wall outlet by the cord itself, but from the plug..." Do you remember that...well that is the same for this, just like all the other electrical connectors on you car...

Last edited by vmcllc; 05-07-2009 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
vmcllc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Faster Than The Speed Limit

Oh one more thing.... I still need to update the prices...on my website...

The Stage II retails for $599 - but we are offering an instant rebate as you already know...this won't change...but the Stage I retails for $499 now and the rebate that is currently set up will not be applicable for the Stage I...as I'm not interested in paying you to buy a Turbo Tuner...So don't be sneaky and buy a Stage I and use the discount now...thinking you will get one helluva deal....time are tough...but damn not that tough..
Appreciate 0