BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Slight sidebar---what's the approximate cost to swap in the M3 control arms? is this a DIY project, or do you need to take it to a dealer/suspension shop?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

It's def a dyi project. Took me longer to get the car up in the air and get the platic covering off than swapping the arms in. You'll need an alignment afterwards though.
      02-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How much are parts? And do you replace both upper and lower control arms?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
How much are parts? And do you replace both upper and lower control arms?
Both arms are "lower". The Wishbones will give you the extra camber. HPA has them for around $314 the pair: http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-M3-Front-...r-wishbone.htm

But you can do the wishbones and the tension rods which have stiffer bushings, and give better steering response. The entire kit from HPA is $597: http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-E82-90-92...ms-e82-e9x.htm

I have them both, and I'd recommend doing them both at the same time.
      02-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
Both arms are "lower". The Wishbones will give you the extra camber. HPA has them for around $314 the pair: http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-M3-Front-...r-wishbone.htm

But you can do the wishbones and the tension rods which have stiffer bushings, and give better steering response. The entire kit from HPA is $597: http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-E82-90-92...ms-e82-e9x.htm

I have them both, and I'd recommend doing them both at the same time.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Curious to know which plates you are referring to? Careful to make blanket statements. There can be a big difference in the design from one company to another.
It's inherent to the design of a race camber plate, it's just going to transfer more noise into the cabin regardless of brand. The oem top hats insulate the car quite a bit. This coming from my first hand experience.

little web searching:

"Caster/Camber plates themselves do not cause any noise. However, they can transmit other suspension noises more easily than the rubber factory strut mount. There may be a slight increase in road noise from the tires, and slightly increased noise from the brakes. A slight increase in harshness when encountering abrupt bumps may be noted"
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

When installing the M3 control arms, can existing bolts be re-used safely?
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #30
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
When installing the M3 control arms, can existing bolts be re-used safely?
Yes.
      09-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #31
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes.
Thanks.

To reduce understeer I exibit at the track, I was thinking about fixed camber plates + M3 control arms on my 2011 135i with stock M-sport suspension. I used this car year round. It is a dual purpose car used on the street (mostly) and the track (~five 20-minute sessions/month). I have a dedicated set of 205/50R17 street alloys and winter tires that will go on the car in late November until end of March.

Debating on whether I should get fixed (Dinan or other) or adjustable camber plates, because I need to hold up to our winters in Quebec, Canada. Corrosion and noise is a concern I have because of crushed stone, gravel, salt, snow, ice, and potholes that we encounter on our roads over here during winter time. Obviously, the 135i will sees light winter useage, as it is not my primary winter car.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #32
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

I went with M3 lower arms, and fixed Dinan plates for a while, but I still didn't have enough camber. I sold the Dinan plates and went with Ground Control Street camber plates. These do not have the metal bearing at the top, just a urethane bushing, so it's much better than stock, but no metal to metal contact like the race plates. It's only camber adjustable. Most race plates are camber/caster adjustable. It's a great option for a dual purpose car.
      09-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I went with M3 lower arms, and fixed Dinan plates for a while, but I still didn't have enough camber. I sold the Dinan plates and went with Ground Control Street camber plates. These do not have the metal bearing at the top, just a urethane bushing, so it's much better than stock, but no metal to metal contact like the race plates. It's only camber adjustable. Most race plates are camber/caster adjustable. It's a great option for a dual purpose car.
Thanks for the tips. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Dinan's. GC Street's seem like a good compromise and low noise option. Where did you get yours from? Are these the ones? http://store.vacmotorsports.com/grou...tes-p2547.aspx

Last edited by dcaron9999; 09-08-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #34
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Those are the ones. I got mine at Bimmerworld, but VAC should be a good place also. Just specify the type of springs you have, and that should be a great option.
      09-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #35
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I have the exact same setup as of last month (Ground Control Camber Plates, M3 Front Control Arms, Stock M-Sport Suspension):

I purchased directly from Ground Control for $349.00 (specs below)
Camber Plate-STREET BMW E90 (2006-Up 3 Series),
E82/E88 (2008-Up 1 Series) (Pair)
2009 135I M sport, M3 Control Arms
Stock Shocks & Springs
1 349.00 349.00
USPS USPS Freight with US Postal service
Amount shown is an estimate, actual charge

I purchased the M3 Front Control Arms from Turner MotorSports. BUY THE TRW FRONT CONTROL ARMS and save $216 OVER BMW M3 Control Arms. The only difference is TRW is forced to SHAVE the M3 markings off the arms. They literally take existing front control arms and shave off the M3 emblem

DCarron9999, if you are purchasing the control arms before October, PM me, I might be able to help you.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

BTW, As of last month Vorschlag Camber Plates were on a 30 day back order for the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

ok guys most companys use k-mac products and rename them. just look them up on the net there in AU but the parts are the best for the money. the owner in kevin. i have ther camber plates and rear toe and camber bolts. i called tuner motor sports and they verified they use and sell k-mac.
      01-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #38
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Anyone else making a fixed plate besides Dinan?

Seems like someone could sell a $%#@ ton of them to 135/335 owners if they'd bring out a set for $100/150 a pop...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #39
Ski Killset
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts
There is no warranty issue if you install GC or vorshlag plates. A law/bill was passed last year that prevents dealers for denying warranty claims because of aftermarket parts. The only thing they don't have to warranty is the upper mount that is replaced by the Camber plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixdriver View Post
Have a stock 128i 6mt sport pkg. stock wheels and rflts. Have done 2des and really got lots of outer edge wear on the fronts. Backs look ok.

Our track is really fast with several high speed sweepers. I dont plan to autox.

Im Driving the car pretty hard and having fun with ok lap times so I'm ok with performance as is, but I'm killing the fronts.

Heard pulling the pins only gives .5 neg, so I'm thinking about plates. Car still in warrantee, so I was thinking about dinan even though it only adds .7 deg fixed? Is this enough with pulling pins?

Is there a warrantee issue if you install for Vorshlag or ground control?

Which is better between ground control and Vorshlag?

This is my daily driver, so I don't want noise issues.. I like the car on the street juste the way it is, just looking to save some rubber for 8 to12 de 's I will do.
Magnusen Moss warranty act was put into law in 1976. Dealer has to prove that aftermarket parts caused the failure in order to deny warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #40
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Logics View Post
The Dinan camber plates and M3 front suspension components compliment each other nicely. Seems like the perfect setup for someone who wants to set 'em and forget 'em.

-Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
I've used the Dinan Plates, Vorschlag plates, and M3 control arms in different stages of my build.

If you want solid, go with Dinan Plates. You get -1.5 camber off of them and it's really just a metal plate to move the mounting points. If you are still wearing down the outer edges, get M3 control arms as well which give you better steering feel as an additional benefit. This will get you around -2.3 deg, which is pretty ample for track.

I did go more extreme though with Vorshlag's and M3 arms, which give -3.7 deg camber, which I've found fantastic for track. There was a little squeaking the first 500 miles with the Vorshlag's in my case. Now there is zero noise and I don't notice any extra sound after 10 month, 7 autox's, and 3 track days.

+1, I'm running Dinan + M3 arms + strut pins removed and I could've gone up to -2.2* but ultimately settled for -2.0 since the car is my daily but huge improvement on turn in, no NVH and car appears totally stock.
      08-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Killset View Post
Magnusen Moss warranty act was put into law in 1976. Dealer has to prove that aftermarket parts caused the failure in order to deny warranty claims.
Legally that's true, but they can deny the claim and tell you to pound sand, leaving you to retain a lawyer to sue them over it, which is unlikely to be worth it. Even if you win, and they have to pay your fees, you've wasted a lot of your own time.

Also, if you have an issue that's closely related, like a ball joint fails on one of the control arms they could say it was plausibly the camber plate's changes that caused more stress on the part. Spending thousands on a lawyer and dozens of hours of your time isn't worth the risk such a suit would go in your favor.

It's very unlikely the dealership will deny a claim on your air conditioning breaking due to camber plates, or similar. A much more likely scenario of something being denied would be parts or systems that are closely related. Things like intakes, exhausts, or tunes then you lose a rod bearing or ringland. In those circumstances I think you are SOL. Especially with a tune that fudges drastically with engine load, that's a lot of extra stress on the engine.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is really about protecting consumers with regards to replacement parts, not performance parts. I.e. so you can get an aftermarket oil filter, air filter, bushing, alternator, etc. rather than get gouged by replacement parts by the manufacturer. If the part in question is changing the suspension configuration or doing something like drastically changing engine load (again, like tunes), there is a very high plausibility of that being seen as causing issues.

Last edited by Freon; 08-26-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #42
Ski Killset
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Killset View Post
Legally that's true, but they can deny the claim and tell you to pound sand, leaving you to retain a lawyer to sue them over it, which is unlikely to be worth it. Even if you win, and they have to pay your fees, you've wasted a lot of your own time.

Also, if you have an issue that's closely related, like a ball joint fails on one of the control arms they could say it was plausibly the camber plate's changes that caused more stress on the part. Spending thousands on a lawyer and dozens of hours of your time isn't worth the risk such a suit would go in your favor.

It's very unlikely the dealership will deny a claim on your air conditioning breaking due to camber plates, or similar. A much more likely scenario of something being denied would be parts or systems that are closely related. Things like intakes, exhausts, or tunes then you lose a rod bearing or ringland. In those circumstances I think you are SOL. Especially with a tune that fudges drastically with engine load, that's a lot of extra stress on the engine.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is really about protecting consumers with regards to replacement parts, not performance parts. I.e. so you can get an aftermarket oil filter, air filter, bushing, alternator, etc. rather than get gouged by replacement parts by the manufacturer. If the part in question is changing the suspension configuration or doing something like drastically changing engine load (again, like tunes), there is a very high plausibility of that being seen as causing issues.
True. I just found it easier to marry an attorney. Actually, come to think about it, that wasn't easier...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #43
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Just installed Dinan camber plates and M3 arms. Got -1.9 on both fronts, and is quieter than stock!!
Appreciate 0