BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
animah
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

1M VO delivered - return of experiences

Hi all, it's been a few days now that I live with my VO 1M. And now with more than 500km I can start to share with you my experience with my little monster.

I was trying to build some writeup but thinking about my baby make me want to go do a ride in the night

So at first I thought, I might ask you what you are looking at?!?
We already have many pics (I've prepared a fews) we already have some professional magazine review and some videos.

So at this stage what are you looking forward to?

Review, experiences, stories, anecdotes?

Pictures (general, parts, underneath), video (of ?)?

Impression relative to the Valencia Orange color?

0-60 & quarter-mile times, Nurburgring lap record? (hold on I'm still doing the break-in and I'm far of a professorial driver)

Or you don't care and so I go with anything I come with...

Let me know I'll try to do the best I can but things will maybe come-up sporadically.

Okay now I'll gently wakeup the beast see you soon...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
animah
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

reserved

A first serie of photos, check my album for more... : http://www.1addicts.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4456

Last edited by animah; 05-01-2011 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
animah
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

English is not my mother-tongue so in advance scuse me for my English.

So far I’ve just reach the 600 km, trying to religiously make a proper break-in, doing gradual and progressive climb in the higher rpm range, and peacefully avoiding full-throttle.
But that’s bullshit! It isn’t by far anything close to a peaceful experience it’s a little mean demoniac machine and avoiding going up to the 3k-4k rpm range when the whole engine and car is screaming at you and asking you more “I’///M ALIVE give it to me you little moppet” it’s a fully enjoyable torture!! Like trying to stop or be stopped when you are close to come…

Everything in this car give a special feeling, the sound of the twins-turbo going in charge and the roaring noise of the exhaust is a true aural pleasure! The steering is precise and firm and for my 2cents comparison it feel less heavy than a Z4M. The chassis is the real big-deal… LSD is mad efficient and suspension are very healthy. And I start to feel how and when the car will tell me the limits and so far it seems very sane!. (but I’ve been in Geneva and nearby in France the road where awful and I admit I wouldn’t do those roads every days, very-very bad moment for the arsch Prüfstand and the car!!)

Anecdote : third day when I’ve been enjoying being lost on some unknown roads a biker stopped at the road-side 300m in front of me, let me pass forward and then followed me up-hill on a nice unknown sneaky forest road. I don’t know if he saw me/heard me coming and did that on purpose but we decided to spend some miles together. Poor corners entries, first time on the road, timid heal-toe and the break-in… else if, he could have a really much harder time following me. Anyway that was the first time I got a polite “bye” salute from a biker. That’s priceless! I don’t need a bike license anymore…

About the color, Valencia Orange is astonishing! I’m really happy with my choice. It’s a living color showing different aspect depending on the light condition. Under the sun it will shine making the car exuberant. Under the city lights it’s more composed showing beautiful reflects. But under a bad average light (cloudy weather) I admit it feel a bit off.
Aside when it’s “off” it is an eye-catcher-break-a-neck! And I was surprised of the attention it attracts in the night! If you look for discretion avoid VO! Don’t forget that if you start to be sting by a fleet moment of shyness you will not be able to run out of sights discreetly. The rough noise of the exhaust will attract the rest of the attention remaining.

Youngster stopping their BMW in the middle of the road to look on the 1M parked, crazy hand waving out of the window on freeway or people waiting you to come back to hear the car starting is the kind of events you must expect…

Last edited by animah; 05-05-2011 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
animah
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

reserved

???? just in case
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

1.) How many heads do you turn?

2.) Have you driven to a public place to gauge the people's response? Like a mall or anywhere with a cross walk.
-You always see the people on the crosswalk stop and stare at nice BMW and MB's, not to mention the Italian cars. Good way to let other vain people like me know if this is the car we want to be seen in haha.

3.) How were the first 500km? I can tell you I'd need new runflats by 5k km if I just picked up a 1M, so I hope you enjoy it!

4.) Did you post this as a tease, with the promise of pictures? Because if you did, I cannot blame you! haha
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I want to see a mega drift on video which is controlled by the throttle.

Filmed from inside and outside.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

PS: can you compare it to any previously owned BMWs? Even if the other bimmers weren't M models, the comparison is always nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I want to see a mega drift on video which is controlled by the throttle.

Filmed from inside and outside.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

I'm sure many people are interested to see a power and torque curve, as measured on rolling road.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I wanna know what your Butt dyno(poopi sensor/arsch Prüfstand) thinks of the car's power (and throttle response) and the pucker factor when driving the car close to its limits.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
animah
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

HAHA I like the way you guys come at me! keep going! But please stay gentle with me! I promise this is not a vain teasing I have uploaded a photo in my profile and I have started to write a few lines but I thought I need more experience before posting anything

And in the last couple of months I learn a lot about teasing, thanks to SCOTT26 and Dr Segler so I just follow my peers

Seriously your request will guide me or confort me in how I should deliver some materials or writeup, so let me know...

Now I leaving...

Last edited by animah; 04-30-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Video of a WOT takeoff, observed from the rear.

In-car video, with sound of engine through various upshifts and downshifts.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Congrats on finally driving your car, I hope you enjoy every kilometer very much!!
Drive-by sounds with higher speed would be nice in my eyes.

What about a little tour through Black Forest when I have my R? Production is currently planned to be finished on 29th of June, so it will take another 2 months. Or we could get some people together and do a little trip?
I'm sure there are other people around that would enjoy a trip through some twisty Black Forest roads.

On my first weekend with my GTI, I drove about 1'200 km. So my plan is to finish break-in with the Cayman within 3 to 4 days. After that: pedal to the metal

Drive safely!
      04-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post

What about a little tour through Black Forest when I have my R? Production is currently planned to be finished on 29th of June, so it will take another 2 months. Or we could get some people together and do a little trip?
I'm sure there are other people around that would enjoy a trip through some twisty Black Forest roads.

Count me in! I have always wanted to drive the Alpine Hoch Strasse running thru the Black Forest area.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

More real life customer pics of VO please. Think MNavigator is AWOL.

Although it's too late for me o change my mind now.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I want to know how the car drive on the track and at the limit. I want to see read about how the car compares to other cars you know well. That would give us a reference point.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Great thread - thanks in advance Animah.

P.s. - try not to tease us too bad!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Pictures and video NAO!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

What's the top speed that can be achieved in reverse?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
animah
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

The awakening of the beast

This is a quick video of a cold start, unfortunately the mic on my mobile phone sucks! So you will have to over-imagine a little bit.

Does it sounds like an ///M car? Hell yeah! And a cold start sounds very good too the first time I've been very surprised

Looking at the rev counter going up and down always makes me smirk and the noise of a cold start in a garage gives an another very good reason to have a garage! And a very good way to start a trip in a 1M....

Below a photo of the exhaust line. There were some people who were wondering if on the production cars the muffler would have the same look than on the pre-production cars. And yes it has. But I quite like how it looks, it give an handmade dedicated solid look! And maybe I'm wrong but I think all oem ///M exhaust always had a similar raw appearance. What do you think?

Last edited by animah; 04-30-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #20
animah
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
Probably not better than a Toyota Corralla : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taimu...layer_embedded
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
The speedometer that measures negative mph is an option not fitted to this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by animah View Post
This is a quick video of a cold start,
You are right about the mike - it sounds like a single engine Cessna.
Appreciate 0