BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Clutch slip or something more pernicious?

800km into the run-in period and something is very wrong. I noticed it a few days ago first: depress the throttle, revs change (though not corresponding to the amound pressed) with no power to the wheels.

Now the car is completely undriveable. The question is, is this a simple clutch slipping (related question: how can this be happening on a babied 800km car?!?) or is it something worse? Vehicle diagnostics say the car is ok...

Here's a video of what happens (or doesn't) - opinions please. Thanks...

(Can't post it now - but will try later).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If the clutch were slipping, I would think it would still transfer some power through the transmission and then to the wheels. You should certainly smell a slipping/burning clutch as well. The odd thing you mention is how the revs don't seem to match the amount of throttle you apply. With the transmission in neutral, how does the engine respond when blipping the throttle with no load on it? If the clutch were toast and not transferring any power, I would think the engine should still rev normally.
      09-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

A clutch could be toast at 800 if it was badly contaminated somehow, but unless you abused it theres no way under normal wear.

Just take it to the dealer, its brand new.
      09-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Its possible to glaze over the clutch disk surface, especially during break-in. If your clutch pedal still has full pressure but it's still slipping, especially slipping bad enough not to transfer power in your lower gears, your clutch disk and possibly flywheel surface is toasted.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Its possible to glaze over the clutch disk surface, especially during break-in. If your clutch pedal still has full pressure but it's still slipping, especially slipping bad enough not to transfer power in your lower gears, your clutch disk and possibly flywheel surface is toasted.
This is a good way to describe it. The pedal FEELS normal, but power isn't being transferred.

I have no idea how this happened (any light shone appreciated) - I've had two manual M cars before as well as a 993 Turbo S. Combined mileage of over 100,000 miles and no need for a single new clutch...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_alchemist View Post
This is a good way to describe it. The pedal FEELS normal, but power isn't being transferred.

I have no idea how this happened (any light shone appreciated) - I've had two manual M cars before as well as a 993 Turbo S. Combined mileage of over 100,000 miles and no need for a single new clutch...
Could be as simple as some oil that got on the clutch or flywheel surface or a manufacture defect. When they take it apart under warranty the cause will be known.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

My entire trans was changed at 1700km because of a faulty seal.....took two weeks from begining of problem to when i had the keys back. You can search if you like.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBIMMER View Post
My entire trans was changed at 1700km because of a faulty seal.....took two weeks from begining of problem to when i had the keys back. You can search if you like.
The seal caused oil to seep onto the clutch and contaminate it..... I think it was leaking oil from the start ( long and hard to explain) so it took all of 1700 km for it to start actually slipping..... But when i brought it in and tjey test drove it , it could barely drag itself into the garage area at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sounds likely. Rear main seals or notorious for leaking even if looking undamaged. I've had plenty of experience with my Z unfortunately...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

So: the car's been towed to the BMW depot. Nobody there till Sunday, but I'll let you know as soon as the prognosis is back.

It could hardly even drag itself onto the truck...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Definitely sounds like Subimmer's problem, either a leaking rear main seal or a leaking transmission input shaft contaminated your clutch disk with oil. Once it gets saturated in oil there is no going back, it will slip until it is replaced.

Keep us updated on what you find.
      09-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Definitely sounds like Subimmer's problem, either a leaking rear main seal or a leaking transmission input shaft contaminated your clutch disk with oil. Once it gets saturated in oil there is no going back, it will slip until it is replaced.

Keep us updated on what you find.
One thing i dont remember is why the whole tranny needed to be changed ...... Something about the seal cant be replaced or whatnot..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I am now approaching 10000 km and no problems to transmit. Been flashed with ESS stage 1 for the last 1500-1700 kms or so and the thing pulls cleanly and hard everytime.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBIMMER View Post
One thing i dont remember is why the whole tranny needed to be changed ...... Something about the seal cant be replaced or whatnot..
I am not finding the input shaft seal as a stand-alone part on realoem. I really hope you don't have to buy a whole new tranny just because of 1 bad seal.
      09-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #16
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?
It certainly would be. But if BMW isn't offering individual transmission components now, it is unlikely they will in the future once our warranties are up.
      09-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
800km into the run-in period and something is very wrong. I noticed it a few days ago first: depress the throttle, revs change (though not corresponding to the amound pressed) with no power to the wheels.

Now the car is completely undriveable. The question is, is this a simple clutch slipping (related question: how can this be happening on a babied 800km car?!?) or is it something worse? Vehicle diagnostics say the car is ok...

Here's a video of what happens (or doesn't) - opinions please. Thanks...

(Can't post it now - but will try later).

Sounds like your clutch is toast. Probably due to a bad oil seal. Could be from the trans or even the rear main(crankshaft) seal. Just have your car towed to your dealer and have them look at it.

Good Luck - we all feel for you. And PLEASE let us know what the cause was.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #18
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Clutch is toast: apparently no sign of oil...

They're confused as well.

Ordering a new clutch and flywheel from Munich - I'll keep you posted...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Clutch is toast: apparently no sign of oil...

They're confused as well.

Ordering a new clutch and flywheel from Munich - I'll keep you posted...
My buddy just took in his 2011 6MT 335i ///M Package with 3K miles. Clutch started shuddering. I KNOW this car was babied 1,000,000 percent. Now they tore it down and said there is bluing on fingers and saying he toasted clutch. Funny thing is, the shudder wasn't that bad, he brought it for exhaust rattle and the tech didn't find rattle but told him the clutch was bad. We are also puzzled because the only other people to drive his car were the PDI guy before delivery 3K miles ago (clutch felt fine then) and the tech that couldn't hear exhaust rattle then called and told him clutch bad.

It's crazy. His car was not abused whatsoever! Of course if something went wrong with self adjusting mechanism that might cause it to slip, that would also cause overheating but they don't address that. I think the part number is different between the 1M and 335i. From what I read, it's the clutch from the Z4 S-drive35IS
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Another funny thing is that when i got my car back after they changed the tranny, they told me to go easy on the clutch for 800-1000 kms or so. At that time i was still pissed at having lost my car for two weeks at the very start of our relationship . So i absolutly DID NOT go easy on the new tranny and all went well from then on.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #21
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

A request has been put into Munich to have the clutch replaced either under warranty (it's not strictly-speaking covered) or as 'good-will'. The request was put in yesterday; no answer as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #22
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Quote:
A request has been put into Munich to have the clutch replaced either under warranty (it's not strictly-speaking covered) or as 'good-will'. The request was put in yesterday; no answer as of yet.
i know it is old post. what was their answer? im having the same problem and dealer can't gurentee that they will replace it under warrenty. I have to pay the dealer around $1000 up front to check the clutch and they might come back to me to change the clutch from my pocket.

so i am thinking to upgrade my clutch to either master clutch or SPCE to avoid it happens again. i only drove my 1m 18,000km. dealer gave me an estimate of OEM clutch with flywheel and labor $3,500!!
Appreciate 0