BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Cleaned Glass But Still Not Super Clean!

I clean my windshield (exterior and interior) with a thief microfibre glass towel and Stoners Invisible Glass.

I feel like I can never get my glass to be perfectly clean. On sunny days, my vision is terrible cause it looks like there are linty things all over my glass. At night, it's fine.

What am I doing wrong and how can I clean my glass better!? Does anyone experience the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 05:48 AM   #2
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Basically it's road rash on your windshield. I have it too. You can try polishing the windshield.

Another theory is that harsh water can cause the spots. You could try this stuff out. http://www.a-maz.com/waterstainremover.php
      04-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF its on the outside of the windshield try using a clay bar(with lots of lube) to get rid of all the dead insects/bug guts. IF it is micro stone impacts... only a new windshield will do. The good news is most insurance companies will replace your windshield for free under a (zero deductible)comp claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hmmm, it could very well be road rash but that would be very disappointing since my car has such little miles.

My other guess could be that I did a poor job cleaning the interior side of the windshield. It's always so hard cleaning the interior. I feel like I need to break all the joints in my body to reach certain areas and to get a good wipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Hmmm, it could very well be road rash but that would be very disappointing since my car has such little miles.

My other guess could be that I did a poor job cleaning the interior side of the windshield. It's always so hard cleaning the interior. I feel like I need to break all the joints in my body to reach certain areas and to get a good wipe.
I never use microfiber to clean windows as I find they tend to leave a lot of lint and/or leave streaks. I always use two clean cotton towels: one to apply glass cleaner (I prefer Invisible Glass too) and one to polish the glass after using the cleaner. This technique reduces streaks and leaves virtually no lint.
      04-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

What you're describing is a result of how you clean.

To clean windows, use pure alcohol + water and you can try a final wipe with paper (yes) to make sure there is no lint left behind. Fancy products always leave a stupid film and those towels are the worst with lint.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
I never use microfiber to clean windows as I find they tend to leave a lot of lint and/or leave streaks. I always use two clean cotton towels: one to apply glass cleaner (I prefer Invisible Glass too) and one to polish the glass after using the cleaner. This technique reduces streaks and leaves virtually no lint.
+1. That's exactly what I do.
      04-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hmm, I'll try to clean my glass using a terry towel next time and see if the results are better!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Clean the glass, the use a meguires clar bar kit on the windshield, and then clean the glass again. That's the best way to really clean the glass.
      04-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #10
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I use these products and get some good results.

Griots glass clay
http://amzn.to/1MS3vEy

Groits glass polish
http://amzn.to/1Wlazv9

Griots glass polish pad
http://amzn.to/1SYRmtG

Glass microfiber cloth
http://bit.ly/1rtEIgH
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #11
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

Not all Microfiber towels are created equal. I bought some cheap ones that leave lint or left over material, and i have some that are great. I also use Invisible Glass and a razor blade to take off stubborn bugs and other contaminants then clay it as well. Here is a video i used:

BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Larry at AMMONYC is a detailing God.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #13
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ok. I've tried so many techniques including the ones mentioned above and I STILL don't have super clean glass. When the sun is strong and shines directly onto my windshield, I see TONS of little specks of stuff on my windshield and it is driving me completely NUTS!

I don't know if I'm doing a terrible job cleaning the windshield on the exterior or interior... but man this is getting super annoying.

When you say pure alcohol, is that the same thing as rubbing alcohol?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

I believe your best bet for a super clean w/screen is to:
* remove windscreen
* install force field

Though I believe the coding is a doddle, the warp core (which you will need) is a bit of a squeeze, seen a few done, driving around the Utopia Planitia shipyards, usually they boost a warp core from a banged up shuttle or something,

let us know how it goes any how !
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #15
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bonami.html

"There have been many questions about BMW windshields, why they get pitted, and why they are difficult to clean. BMW issued a service bulletin about the wipers and what can be done to clean the windshield and make the wipers work more effectively. I have added some thoughts on what I believe can alleviate the problem, and I've also included the service bulletin.

BMW windshields are made from soft safety glass. Due to the nature of the coating on the outside of the windshield, they are prone to "sandblasting". Sandblasting is caused by the debris that is kicked up into the windshield from cars at highway speeds. Eventually, the windshield becomes pitted and is more difficult to see through, particularly on very sunny days. As well, another problem is that on rainy days, the windshield wipers can fail to work properly due to the dirt deposits that can develop.

There is nothing that can be done about the sandblasting problem except to replace the windshield (and stop tailgating big trucks!) I have always used Sekurit and Sigla glass straight from the manufacturer, although BMW has used an American made HBI glass. All of these windshields suffer from the same problem, so this isn't based on the country of manufacture. Eventually, in all cases, the windshield needs to be replaced.

However, to solve the accumulation of dirt on the windshield, BMW recommends the use of Bon Ami to properly clean the windshield. I would also recommend replacing the original blades with Bosch Microedge blades, which I believe leave less residue on the windshield. They are a proven product, are significantly easier to replace since they come with the entire metal arm, and are less expensive to replace than the original blades. Due to the poor quality of windshield fluid available in the USA, I strongly recommend the use of P21S Windshield Boost (or Wurth's if you can find it) where you add a small amount to the existing fluid reservoir. I have found this to be instrumental in helping to keep the windshield clean, even more than Bon Ami, since you use it when you need it - when you're driving down the road.

I strongly discourage anyone from using Rain-X as a substitute for using windshield wipers. My experiences with this product teach me that it works beautifully for a short period of time, but when the Rain-X wears off (within a couple weeks), the windshield becomes downright dangerous. I don't care to spend every week re-Rain-X-ing my cars' windshields. If you have the time to do this, get a life.

Please also note that in 5-series BMWs from 1989 and 3-series BMWs from 1991/2, the windshield is an integral component in the car's body shell. Proper installation is an important safety issue, since the windshield is designed to affect the car's rigidity. The older E28 and E30 BMW windshields are significantly less expensive. Please use a reputable shop and factory glass when replacing a BMW windshield.

BMW Service Bulletin

Bulletin Number: 61 02 94 (3990)
Noisy Wipers, Poor Cleaning: Group 61 Electrical

Woodcliff Lake, NJ
May 1994
Product Engineering

SUBJECT:
Windshield Wipers Are Noisy Or Do Not Clean Properly

MODELS:
All

Situation:
Windshield wiper blades may start to make noise, or fail to clean the windshield properly, even though the blades are not worn and are properly adjusted.

This can be caused by contaminants on the glass, such as oily road deposits or wax residues from car washes. These contaminants can cause the blades to chatter across the glass or fail to wipe cleanly.

Correction:
Common contaminants that are not removed by conventional glass cleaner can be cleaned with Bon Ami(R), a household cleaning product.

The cleaner should be applied on a wet cloth or sponge and the windshield must be thoroughly and evenly scrubbed. Wipe off residue with a clean,dry cloth before the product dries on the glass.

Warranty Status:
Information only.
Additional notes

There appear to be some imitation products, or lesser versions of Bon Ami. Make sure you are buying the real product. Faultless Starch Company has the rights to sell it in the USA. Up in Canada, it's sold by the S.C. Johnson Company. If you have other questions for them, call them directly at:

Faultless Starch/Bon Ami Company
Kansas City, MO 64101-1200"

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #16
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hmmm time to check out this Bon Ami stuff. Thanks for the post! At this point, gonna try whatever I can and last resort is to replace the windshield. I've spent too much time being frustrated at how my windshield ain't perfect. Maybe it's just cause it is sandblasted!
Appreciate 0