BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
gangrun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

WTB: manual 128i

Hi, guys! Figured I'd give this a shot. Looking for a manual 128i. The only package I truly need is the sport package. I'm a broke college student and soon to be even poorer med student, so I have to stick around $12-13,000. I have a few months to find the perfect car before med school starts, so let me know if you're thinking about selling in the next few months.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

If you're a broke college student, just buy a used Civic until you graduate. Been there, done that
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
gangrun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidge View Post
If you're a broke college student, just buy a used Civic until you graduate. Been there, done that
Relatively broke I think I've set myself up relatively nicely to see myself through school, but I'm still trying to be conservative with what I spend. I couldn't bring myself to buy a civic after living with my gti for 12 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

I hear you. Maintenance on an older, more complex car is always going to be a financial liability. That said, if you've got the car itch, it's hard not to drive something fun. I settled on a manual first-gen TSX while I went back to school a few years ago and it treated me really well. Your time can be more expensive than the actual repair bills when you're busy with school, too, so keep that in mind.

Just saw your advice thread, so sorry about the threadjack -- good luck with the hunt!
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
gangrun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidge View Post
I hear you. Maintenance on an older, more complex car is always going to be a financial liability. That said, if you've got the car itch, it's hard not to drive something fun. I settled on a manual first-gen TSX while I went back to school a few years ago and it treated me really well. Your time can be more expensive than the actual repair bills when you're busy with school, too, so keep that in mind.

Just saw your advice thread, so sorry about the threadjack -- good luck with the hunt!
That's definitely something to keep in mind, concerning the time expense. I love wrenching on cars and prefer to do preventative maintenance, so I'm hopeful that I won't run into too many random breakdowns. I love to unwind after a stressful day by going for a drive out on the backroads, so it has to be something fun that I enjoy driving. The GTI's done that for me for a while, especially once I combined an aftermarket exhaust with that vr6 engine, but she's just getting too old to be a reliable daily for the next 8 years.
Appreciate 0