BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

Test drove 135i today

East Bay BMW (Pleasanton, California) just got their 1ers in today off the trucks. I took out a cashmere silver 135.

Visually
First off, no photos - the ones on this site are better than I could take anyway. The color is really nice. Less brown than I expected. I do think that aftermarket wheels that are darker may go better with this color. I didn't get enough contrast between the 135 silver 18's and the car color. The car shape itself is a beauty. It really gives the impression of strength - like a cat getting ready to pounce. It can't be mistaken for "entry" ricers. I was not disappointed with the design.

Interior
Snug, but ample room for the front seaters. I also sat in the back seat after the front seat was positioned for me. I'm 5-10, 170 and could handle it for trips across town. My knees were not jammed, and my head was not touching, but the feeling was close. An open sunroof would help rear seaters who are claustrophobic. There is a well-positioned dead pedal for the driver, and my legs did not feel restricted. My SA was in the passenger seat and we did not feel crowded side-to-side. All controls were right where they should be. A very comfortable interior.

Driving impressions
Throttle tip-in is pretty aggressive, so it wants to jump right out there. It only takes a few minutes to get used to it though. Steering is heavy at first impression, but feels right after a few miles. Acceleration is retina-detaching fast. If you are coming out of a sweeper and getting into it you can feel the traction control cutting in. This happened to me a lot. (Don't buy a dealer demo: break-in schmake-in - these cars get hammered right off the truck!) Brakes are amazing - pull you down extremely fast and straight. You will never rear end anyone, but you will get rear ended. I didn't get a chance to drive through many twisties, but the transient response of the car seemed excellent, was extremely confidence inspiring. The steptronic was better than I expected. Although not the same as a manual, the timing and snappiness of the shifts was engaging and gave good control for an auto. At about 72 mph the RPM was about 2100-2200, so the engine is not revving intrusively for highway cruising. In the drive mode it is obvious that BMW is trying to get good mileage because it really short shifted. This is easily changed by bumping to the other modes. The road noise was more than I expected, possibly because of the 18" rims and runflats. I also felt more road surface than I expected, but big bumps were absorbed very well.

Overall
If you are a car guy, this car will bring a smile to your face! It is sporty and elegant at the same time. You feel and hear the road, so it doesn't let you forget that you are in a performance vehicle. The performance envelope is very large. During my daily commute and even on weekend joy rides, I would not expect to tap its full potential very much. Those who are trackers clearly will. I am eager to drive the 128 and see if it has enough juice to be fun and if the 17" sport package wheels will be slightly more forgiving. Either way, I think anybody who gets a 1 of any flavor is in for a satisfying experience.

My SA was Jake, who has been keeping on top of the arrival dates for me. I think he is the ED expert, and was very well-informed on the car and very helpful. Tell him 1addicts sent you!

:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Perfect128 - nice writeup, thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Once again I think the car is a bargain. Another test drive proving the car is awesome. I can't wait. Plenty of room for a single person who has passengers now and then. Nowadays most people I know want to drive themselves, so they can go home when they want.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Perfect write and read, Perfect.:biggrin: Really. Effective descriptions for even a lay, delinquent, car guy(me). Thanks for the read.

Anyone else going bugfug reading these first-day reviews and impressions. Fortunately there is an F1 race this evening which should take my mind off the 135. For a few hours...

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
1nd1ana
Rep
Drives:

I want to drive this freakin' car!!!
AGH!!!!
      03-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surname View Post
Fortunately there is an F1 race this evening which should take my mind off the 135. For a few hours...
BMW Sauber is on the front row... Go, Kubica! Go! Year of the 1, indeed. Year of the F1? That's for another thread...
      03-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
Troyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Nice write up - thanks! :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC