BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #23
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I wonder if that kit at the front is the M or just the sport package....hmmm
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
As someone who is responsible for these media and web presentations , I find the concept of a photo shoot within a photo shoot as you say ? .......Lame.
I don't see how that concept will work and especially with the premium image of BMW.

Anyway is the discussion closed because I can tell "Chuckie" Or Herr "H" you said Hi.

In the meantime here is today's Candy! all wrapped up an in M-packet.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433
I don't think you're the only person who handles BMW PR. I don't think you're an insider.
I think you're just a messenger for your bosses who tell you what they want you to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

I doubt that I am wrong. It's simulacra. It's Deleuzian desire scenario. It's manipulation by some smart people.
And sorry I rambled here. Flame away.:biggrin:

Ok, I'll flame away. Just to be a Physicist, here's a quote from Dirac, perhaps the only contemporary of Einstein who rivaled him in pure brain power. It's about poetry, but I think it applies equally well to modern continental philosophy.

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite"

But then again, without the over-analysis of the human condition that results in 12 syllable word for "reading", a lot of smart people will lose tenured jobs! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #26
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I agree with Brookside. BMW is on the leading edge of gorilla marketing, and this photoshoot only further proves it. Heck, it is one of the reasons I want to work for them .
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #27
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
BMW is on the leading edge of gorilla marketing,

Oh man I'm getting all kinds of visuals!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #28
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

To be an exhibitionist and have everyone know it is, well, lame - Hollywood and strip clubs are a goldmine for those.

The true titilation of exhibitionism is to successfully leave one's audience with the impression one has been unintentionally exposed.
I think this mentality has been worked into what we have seen around the 1er. Sex with the curtains cracked open, so to speak.

They're setting the 1er up to be a classic before the first one is delivered. I expect they will be successful. Guerrilla marketing is alive and well...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #29
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post

Oh man I'm getting all kinds of visuals!
Oops, wrong word .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #30
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I think it is now time to bring about closure....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/sp...ies_coupe.html
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #31
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks Scott. Doesn't that article confirm what we already know (or have been led to believe)?

There is some mixed messaging about the engine range. The article says no 4-cylinder in NA. But you have recently said otherwise. My hope is that the entry level engine will be an i6 (128i or 130i).

What say you?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #32
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Sorry for the late reply but I was in Japan supervising the MINI Clubman shoot , a few days rest then I am off to the next MINI Clubman shoot in New York.

The only 4 cylinder powered 1er Coupe I am referring to is the European market .
I do not know if the BMW USA have asked for lower powered four-cylinder models.

But here is some more clues to how the Coupe will appear at the end of the month..:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #33
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Wow! I like it. This must be the 135i in some kind of M sport attire or the M1 itself. Hood bulge (Wolf won't be happy), 19" wheels and a pretty radical front bumper. Proportions suggest an updated E36 M3. I'm very impressed.

Thanks for the clarification on the engines.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #34
2008-130ci
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Since this is just another rendition... I don't belive there will be a buldge (sure hope not anyway)

I am looking forward to seeing the real thing this month!!

More:
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #35
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply but I was in Japan supervising the MINI Clubman shoot , a few days rest then I am off to the next MINI Clubman shoot in New York.

The only 4 cylinder powered 1er Coupe I am referring to is the European market .
I do not know if the BMW USA have asked for lower powered four-cylinder models.

But here is some more clues to how the Coupe will appear at the end of the month..:biggrin:

I LOOOOOOVE IT! BRING IT ON PLEASE. Perhaps Scott is hinting that the headlights might be slightly different. I dont know but i'm not getting my hopes up.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #36
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Just seen one of the media presentations for the Coupe - Blown away I was...

Some early morning sunrise of Sydney Harbour , The bridge,The opera House and the City itself , The 1er Coupe begins it's tease - when I say tease this is not the full reveal this is the build up hence "Emotional Response"

The car is in a high rise parking structure of course you can see the sunrise in the background as light reflects on the darkness of the Coupe - The light reflects and illuminates areas such as the distinctive rear and front headlights , the mirrors , the twin kidney grille, The BMW roundel , The areas of the design such as sills , shoulder line and rear profile.

As the light continues to brighten the drivers door opens and the camera swoops in on the door into the interior showing the interior swooping over the transmission stick. Before performing a turn at the steering wheel and a close up of the dials. Cut to a POV of a Sydney street , the Angel eyes illuminate edit to a skyscraper from a POV looking up. edit to a red light , edit to a finger pressing the start button - The red light goes green.

A driving POV as the coupe enters a tunnel - edit to more sweeping helicopter shots of Sydney - then to the bridge sweeping over until it zooms into something on the bridge - The full reveal of the 1er Coupe - This cuts to a close up of the car on the bridge itself from it's side profile , rear and front head on as it cruises across the harbour - A look out the passenger window shows the Opera House and surrounding harbour in the background as we cruise , The helicopter shot above shows the car from above then we cut to a coastal road and see the Coupe at it's most dynamic - negotiating the coastal roads with aplomb and agility. This is intercut with with Kite surfers on some awsome waves and some nice swooping helicopter shots. My favourite being the swoop over the ocean to a charging 1er Coupe along a coastal road , waves hitting rocks as the car charges ahead of the helicopter.

Finally some agility shots from the front and the rear and the wheels and POV of the car with spectacular views of the ocean and the road.

Cut to Sunrise the sun setting - The first lights are coming on , The Coupe's angel eyes illuminated as it crosses the bridge again at Sunset - everything illuminated in a hazy golden orange glow , then the car cruises the harbour stopping outside the Opera House - Fade out.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #37
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Personally, I prefer the renditions from AutoBild. They look cleaner, less boy racer
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #38
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just seen one of the media presentations for the Coupe - Blown away I was...

Some early morning sunrise of Sydney Harbour , The bridge,The opera House and the City itself , The 1er Coupe begins it's tease - when I say tease this is not the full reveal this is the build up hence "Emotional Response"

The car is in a high rise parking structure of course you can see the sunrise in the background as light reflects on the darkness of the Coupe - The light reflects and illuminates areas such as the distinctive rear and front headlights , the mirrors , the twin kidney grille, The BMW roundel , The areas of the design such as sills , shoulder line and rear profile.

As the light continues to brighten the drivers door opens and the camera swoops in on the door into the interior showing the interior swooping over the transmission stick. Before performing a turn at the steering wheel and a close up of the dials. Cut to a POV of a Sydney street , the Angel eyes illuminate edit to a skyscraper from a POV looking up. edit to a red light , edit to a finger pressing the start button - The red light goes green.

A driving POV as the coupe enters a tunnel - edit to more sweeping helicopter shots of Sydney - then to the bridge sweeping over until it zooms into something on the bridge - The full reveal of the 1er Coupe - This cuts to a close up of the car on the bridge itself from it's side profile , rear and front head on as it cruises across the harbour - A look out the passenger window shows the Opera House and surrounding harbour in the background as we cruise , The helicopter shot above shows the car from above then we cut to a coastal road and see the Coupe at it's most dynamic - negotiating the coastal roads with aplomb and agility. This is intercut with with Kite surfers on some awsome waves and some nice swooping helicopter shots. My favourite being the swoop over the ocean to a charging 1er Coupe along a coastal road , waves hitting rocks as the car charges ahead of the helicopter.

Finally some agility shots from the front and the rear and the wheels and POV of the car with spectacular views of the ocean and the road.

Cut to Sunrise the sun setting - The first lights are coming on , The Coupe's angel eyes illuminated as it crosses the bridge again at Sunset - everything illuminated in a hazy golden orange glow , then the car cruises the harbour stopping outside the Opera House - Fade out.
Umm.. I'm really not getting the visual image that you are trying to convey. Maybe you should just show us the vid. It will be a lot easier for all of us.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #39
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Umm.. I'm really not getting the visual image that you are trying to convey. Maybe you should just show us the vid. It will be a lot easier for all of us.
The visual image to convey the 1er Coupe is "Prinzip Freude" - Principles of driving - to show the Joy of driving through image of location as it's BMW there are plenty of POV shots of roads , gearboxes shifting , gas pedal being pressed down. acceleration etc , Just pure sheer driving pleasure in a fantastic location.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #40
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

We Care More About Shots in Marin County than Sydney

Quote:
POV shots ... in a fantastic location.
If these images were done in and near Sydney, then the steering wheel ought to be on the right hand side, and the driver would be shifting with the left hand. That might be fine for those people in the UK, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, and a few other places where people drive on the "wrong" side of the road, as it were, but people in the European and American markets can't really relate to that. (I, for one, have never shifted with my left hand.) And if the future BMW coupé featured in the Australian image shots is actually the German version, with its steering wheel on the left, then that anomaly would seem rather contrived to many discerning viewers.

What really counts in the world of car industry image campaigns are the shots taken in western Marin County, north of San Francisco. This location is world famous for its twisting roads and beautiful scenery. Furthermore, it happens to also be in one of BMW's most important North American markets. An excellent example of a car being shown off in this wonderful setting, with occasional summer fog, can be seen by clicking on the Broadband box next to the "Sport in Numbers" choice at the following link:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/bo...y/?gtabindex=6

Highlights of the world's sportiest roadster seen in this online video were filmed on the following roads in Marin County:

* Highway 1 (between Stinson Beach and Muir Beach)
* Ridgecrest Boulevard (high above the coast and overlooking Bolinas)
* Panoramic Drive (between Mill Valley and Stinson Beach)
* Fairfax - Bolinas Road (mainly through the redwood trees above Alpine Lake)

I am intimately familiar with all these roads. This place is at its most beautiful in March and April because the grass is still very green, and colorful wildflowers dot the hills. According to SCOTT27 (SCOTT26 in a different forum), BMW was to have done shooting in the San Francisco Bay Area about a month ago. The camera crew was particularly lucky in that the most scenic stretch of Highway 1 was actually closed to traffic during this time, due to landscaping and road repairs just south of Stinson Beach. So there were definitely great opportunities to get excellent photos and videos during this time. Those are the images Americans and Europeans can relate to and are waiting to see. We can eventually expect to see some of them in future sales brochures and TV commercials.

Moreover, as I mentioned previously, since the coupé is to bring back the characteristic sportiness, handling and agility now lost in the heavier and larger 3-series models, I believe there ought to also be video available on the BMW web site that shows coupé on regular street tires doing a full Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit run, with a view not only from a window-mounted camera (which would include the engine sounds), but also from a car following closely behind as well as from a helicopter above.

I'm curious what color the coupé featured in the Marin County shots will have. (Perhaps SCOTT26 is allowed to reveal this, before the shots are officially revealed?) While virtually all BMWs seem to come in either black, gray, or silver/titanium metallic, there has been a recent trend toward white, which is making somewhat of a comeback because it happens to be the safest (statistically least likely to be involved in an accident) and also looks great, even when the surface is a bit dusty. Indeed, BMW's first official M3 video features the car in white, and BMW might be seen as a trend-setter if at the Frankfurt Auto Show all the cars it exhibits are in white while the other German manufacturers continue to stick to the traditional silver.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #41
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

What's Up with that Tacky Antenna?

Quote:
But here is some more clues to how the Coupe will appear at the end of the month..
The first thing that I noticed was that radio antenna sticking out from the back of the roof. This is what's common nowadays with VW Golfs and MINIs, among many other cars. I've never seen a BMW with an ugly feature like that, which, in my view, sends out an immediate, subliminal cue: CHEAP!

There's really also no reason why even a cabrio should have a perpetually visible antenna since the SL Mercedes cars feature a retractable one. Of course one should have the option of leaving it up so that an outsider cannot deduce that a person happens to be listening to the radio when it's visible.

I hope the front air intake looks different in the final version from the one depicted. I prefer the smiling style, with foglights, rather than the "gaping fish with moustache" appearance. Of course BMW could also offer a choice, just like the new Mercedes C-Class sedans now come in a choice of two distinct front grilles. In my view the side panel features are still a bit too angular and sharp, and could be rounded off just slightly more. The angular look was popular years ago, before designers had the CATIA V5 software that BMW now uses to generate sophisticated, digital, curved shapes. (Even Munich's new BMW Welt building was designed by its Viennese architects using the same software.) I think the top edges of the side windows could between two to four centimeters closer to each other. This would look more sporty, shave some weight, and be slightly more aerodynamic. One of the reasons that Audi and Porsche cars have been selling so well recently is certainly also because their shapes are harmoniously rounded.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #42
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If these images were done in and near Sydney, then the steering wheel ought to be on the right hand side, and the driver would be shifting with the left hand. That might be fine for those people in the UK, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, and a few other places where people drive on the "wrong" side of the road, as it were, but people in the European and American markets can't really relate to that. (I, for one, have never shifted with my left hand.) And if the future BMW coupé featured in the Australian image shots is actually the German version, with its steering wheel on the left, then that anomaly would seem rather contrived to many discerning viewers.

Every car in every media presentation is LHD with the Munich plate - we put a disclaimer that model configuration and illustration appears is specific to the German market.

Quote:
What really counts in the world of car industry image campaigns are the shots taken in western Marin County, north of San Francisco. This location is world famous for its twisting roads and beautiful scenery. Furthermore, it happens to also be in one of BMW's most important North American markets. An excellent example of a car being shown off in this wonderful setting, with occasional summer fog, can be seen by clicking on the Broadband box next to the "Sport in Numbers" choice at the following link:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/bo...y/?gtabindex=6

Highlights of the world's sportiest roadster seen in this online video were filmed on the following roads in Marin County:

* Highway 1 (between Stinson Beach and Muir Beach)
* Ridgecrest Boulevard (high above the coast and overlooking Bolinas)
* Panoramic Drive (between Mill Valley and Stinson Beach)
* Fairfax - Bolinas Road (mainly through the redwood trees above Alpine Lake)
Yes we know about this road and that is why the M3 cabrio will be shot on Highway One later in the summer.

Quote:
I am intimately familiar with all these roads. This place is at its most beautiful in March and April because the grass is still very green, and colorful wildflowers dot the hills. According to SCOTT27 (SCOTT26 in a different forum), BMW was to have done shooting in the San Francisco Bay Area about a month ago. The camera crew was particularly lucky in that the most scenic stretch of Highway 1 was actually closed to traffic during this time, due to landscaping and road repairs just south of Stinson Beach. So there were definitely great opportunities to get excellent photos and videos during this time. Those are the images Americans and Europeans can relate to and are waiting to see. We can eventually expect to see some of them in future sales brochures and TV commercials.
The Coupe was shot in California in San Francisco and Los Angeles. and Sydney , Australia.
The Cabrio will be shot in (film) Terrigal, Australia , (still) Martha's Vineyard , (film) Miami ,Florida keysUSA and Ece Saray Marina in Turkey. (still)

Quote:
Moreover, as I mentioned previously, since the coupé is to bring back the characteristic sportiness, handling and agility now lost in the heavier and larger 3-series models, I believe there ought to also be video available on the BMW web site that shows coupé on regular street tires doing a full Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit run, with a view not only from a window-mounted camera (which would include the engine sounds), but also from a car following closely behind as well as from a helicopter above.
Every aspect of the car is featured in the campaign from agility to looks to point of views of the road - There will also be a mini-film now the norm of BMW media campaigns that will show the range of apptitude the Coupe will offer.

Quote:
I'm curious what color the coupé featured in the Marin County shots will have. (Perhaps SCOTT26 is allowed to reveal this, before the shots are officially revealed?) While virtually all BMWs seem to come in either black, gray, or silver/titanium metallic, there has been a recent trend toward white, which is making somewhat of a comeback because it happens to be the safest (statistically least likely to be involved in an accident) and also looks great, even when the surface is a bit dusty. Indeed, BMW's first official M3 video features the car in white, and BMW might be seen as a trend-setter if at the Frankfurt Auto Show all the cars it exhibits are in white while the other German manufacturers continue to stick to the traditional silver.
Very Bright colors to enhance the youthful appeal of the 1er Coupe .
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #43
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

New Model Introductions

Quote:
... the M3 cabrio will be shot on Highway One later in the summer.
Since the Frankfurt Auto Show (IAA) begins on September 13, roughly a week before the end of summer, this means that, in addition to the M3 coupé and new 1-series coupé, visitors will also get to see the M3 cabrio for the first time -- that's at least three new sporty two-door car introductions. Juxtaposing the small coupé (mass production from Leipzig) next to the powerful M3 models (limited production from Regensburg) at the IAA in that manner means that it will indeed have to possess some spectacular performance characteristics in order to live up to the comparison. This will definitely require the deployment of more lightweight materials than is now the case in the 3-door 1-series models, which already weigh a whopping 1450 kg. Buyers of the sports coupé versions without the heavy sunroof (or is it "moonroof") option ought to be rewarded by getting a lightweight roof, plus aluminum hood and trunk lid, along with some truly light and strong, newly designed 18-inch wheels, with relatively low moments of angular inertia. (However, all four wheels of the 1-series coupé should have the same size, which is not now the case with BMW's larger sports coupés.) Still, the weight saving program should not include plastic substitute parts where they are unwelcome or degrade functionality, as was the case in the E36, which featured plastic interior door handles and plastic cooling system impellers unable to handle higher RPM.

I'm guessing the Tokyo Motor Show, shortly thereafter in October, might then feature the MINI Clubman and 4-door M3 sedan, while the Detroit Auto Fair, in early January, would show off the 1-series cabrio and X1 SUV, possibly also a Z2 concept study. The Geneva Auto Fair in March could then feature the new Z4 and either the new 7-series or CS coupé, to compete with the Porsche Panamera, plus the M1 coupé, assuming its new engine will be ready by then. If not, perhaps the M1 and Z2 will be introduced together a bit later.

Something new ought to also be shown off in the summer, during the opening of Munich's BMW Welt, so I'm wondering if that will simply be some new or improved engines, or possibly also the M3 coupé.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #44
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Since the Frankfurt Auto Show (IAA) begins on September 13, roughly a week before the end of summer, this means that, in addition to the M3 coupé and new 1-series coupé, visitors will also get to see the M3 cabrio for the first time -- that's at least three new sporty two-door car introductions. Juxtaposing the small coupé (mass production from Leipzig) next to the powerful M3 models (limited production from Regensburg) at the IAA in that manner means that it will indeed have to possess some spectacular performance characteristics in order to live up to the comparison. This will definitely require the deployment of more lightweight materials than is now the case in the 3-door 1-series models, which already weigh a whopping 1450 kg. Buyers of the sports coupé versions without the heavy sunroof (or is it "moonroof") option ought to be rewarded by getting a lightweight roof, plus aluminum hood and trunk lid, along with some truly light and strong, newly designed 18-inch wheels, with relatively low moments of angular inertia. (However, all four wheels of the 1-series coupé should have the same size, which is not now the case with BMW's larger sports coupés.) Still, the weight saving program should not include plastic substitute parts where they are unwelcome or degrade functionality, as was the case in the E36, which featured plastic interior door handles and plastic cooling system impellers unable to handle higher RPM.

The M3 cabrio is expected to debut in December at Los Angeles. The 1er Cabrio will have it's debut alongside the US debut of the 1er Coupe at Detroit 2008.

A new Concept Car will be shown @ Tokyo.

The BMW 1er Coupe and BMW M3 Coupe will make it's International debut @ Frankfurt alongside 3 more World premieres. BMW will also show the CS Concept for European Audiences. Other IAA products from the BMW Group brands include the MINI Clubman will make it's World debut in Frankfurt because I have been in Japan with it and will be in New York next week for it's second shoot.
Alongside will be an "Efficient Dynamics" type concept for MINI .

Rolls-Royce are said to be showing something but I do not know what is coming I have heard rumours but nothing confirmed.

The M1 will be previewed in 2008.
Appreciate 0