BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Replacing Grilles?

I picked up a couple of black grilles from the stealer. How do you get the old ones out? Do you just undo the 4 big plastic screws for the bar that goes over the top and then pop the clips out all round and lift them out?

I did try to search but didn't find any tips. Maybe I'll take some pics tomorrow when I do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
There are definitely DIY's on this site.

Yep, you have to slip off the rubber molding and remove the big screw that hold the front section of the car on. Then you slip the front panel forward so you can reach the tabs holding the grills. It's tricky to get the tabs loose until you figure out which way to pull/push, then it's easy. I use a 90degree pick to get to the tabs. I've changed grills a few times trying to figure out what I like best.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Frustration
enter macho title here...
Rep
Drives: X3 / 335cp / 135 vert-135vert2

Wow.

With the Z4 you pull up and forward...

Then just push the replacements in.

You really have to remove hardware with these??

I guess going carbon that's a good thing to avoid theft, but damn...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
There are definitely DIY's on this site.

Yep, you have to slip off the rubber molding and remove the big screw that hold the front section of the car on. Then you slip the front panel forward so you can reach the tabs holding the grills. It's tricky to get the tabs loose until you figure out which way to pull/push, then it's easy. I use a 90degree pick to get to the tabs. I've changed grills a few times trying to figure out what I like best.
Sweet, thanks. I will be sure to post before and after pics tomorrow :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You don't need to take apart the car. you CAN... but you def do not need too. It took me like ten minutes the first time I replaced the grill. AND that was mainly bc teh whole front bumpber flexes forward as you tug on the old grills to get them to come out.

Just get yourself some PICK TOOLS. One like this.

Normally they sell them in a four pack pick tool set. Try Harbor Frieght or Sears or Advanced Parts, PepBoys, ect, ect. Ten bucks for these tools and you are all set!

Use the 90' pick to undue the lower clips... then tult the bottom of teh grill outwards... then work on the top clips and side clips. I just pulled the crap out of my ones. Don't worry the bumber will not break. Worse case is you might break one of teh clips on the old grill. I did not though!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

The tools help and a flashlight. Not hard once you have done the first one.
Appreciate 0