BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Balancing Weights

I have notice about a week ago some balancing weights on the garage floor and didn't think much of it. Today, I was checking my wife's wheels and noticed them everywhere?

I than checked mine again, and notice there are a lot less on the 135i wheels, but the one that I found was definitely from the 135i as the two types they used were different.

How bad would it affect the car? Should I worry about it? Is it something the dealer should fix?

Also, they put a lot more weight on the 125i - looks like they actually pick the better quality wheels for the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Wheel balancing you mean?

If it is not balanced... you will feel it shaking at the steering wheel. Get the dealer to fix it.
      08-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Have you ever noticed a car driving along with one wheel continuously bouncing up and down? That's what happens with a badly unbalanced wheel. You should get your wheels rebalanced ASAP.
      08-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

No, the sticky balance weights on the wheels. Just dawned on me what happened anyway, as I had new tires, they would have done the wheel balancing, and ie new weights - hence the difference between the 125 and 135.

All good, it's in the capable hands of Dave and Andrew, so it will all be fixed in no time. I thought there were more vibration, but I thought it was in my imagination.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

It's all fixed.. and I am quite embarrass to say I didn't pick up the vibration... well.. I did, but try to convince myself it was in my mind as I couldn't see any weight tape on the wheel at that point in time. What a difference it made! I can tell you how nice those non-RFTs are at the moment .
Appreciate 0