09-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
If cost is really an issue, screw M-DCT and give us the DCT from the 135. My transmission is perfectly fine, I don't need 7 settings because I'll only use 1.
Exactly. I would not have spent $3000 on a DCT for 135 or even an M1, I would have stuck with 6MT. Same goes for active M suspension, use the extra cash for superior coil overs.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #24
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No BMW atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
If cost is really an issue, screw M-DCT and give us the DCT from the 135. My transmission is perfectly fine, I don't need 7 settings because I'll only use 1.
+1. And there are by now a few 360hp tuned DCT-ed 135's running around on both sides of the pond. No mushroomclouds so far.....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #25
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I think that they are very comparable but you still cannot believe how a BMW M3 could outrun a Porsche and be better than a Porsche. A Porsche is an overpriced car with all the extra money paid for exclusivity and heritage and not performance. That's all. Get over it...
Get over what? I'm no Porsche apologist and I will definitely agree that the 911 is overpriced...but so is the M3. And my intention is not to rag on the M3 in the least.

But at the end of the day, the M3 is a highly tuned derivative of a family sedan, whereas the 911 is a sports car from the ground up. The M3 is much larger and much heavier, and clearly a different category of vehicle. And it costs loads less. I really don't understand why anyone would get defensive about this.

I think this idea that the M3 is a direct competitor to the 911 probably started with M3 owners flattering themselves...
      09-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #26
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi

The answer should be known soon enough. Hopefully the by end of the year if there is no no "hiccup".
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #27
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I think this idea that the M3 is a direct competitor to the 911 probably started with M3 owners flattering themselves...
It probably didn't help that BMW themselves cited the 911 as a competitor in its promotional literature.

I agree, the M3 is not as overtly sporty as the 911. To the average layman with $ who doesn't know the Nurburgring from a nipple ring, that's not going to matter so much. A 6-Series customer may also look at the 911. People willing to load up their M3's (and there are quite a few) may consider a stretch to a base 997. Financed over time, the price difference is not all that much.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #28
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Crowded? I'm trying figure out what would compete against a 1M? Mustang? That's been debated at nauseam. Boxster or Cayman? Still, 2 seaters at a higher price point. Call me a BMW fan boy, but the 1M is going to be hard to match if it delivers as promised.
I wasn't talking about competition, I am talking about price over lap.
BMW needs to keep the 1M price for enough from the M3.
      09-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #29
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

less torque..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Excuse me!!???? It works on an M3 last time I checked.

I call BS!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #30
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
less torque..
M3 has 400Nm......

And the DCT's used by BMW as far as I can tell are the Getrag 7DC1600 unit just with a different ///M programming for the M cars...... and according to the Getrag website this unit has a 600Nm torque capacity.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #31
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo//SD View Post
Maybe it's me, but that podcast is difficult to listen to.
1) The difference in audio between the two is drastic and jarring.
2) The other guy (not Gabe) always sounds sour/pissed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
I love the BimmerFile guys, personally. They're enthusiasts like most of us, so their audio may not always be perfect, and their opinions may seem counter-culture at times, but that's what I love about the blog. It's not like every other corporate-owned magazine or blog that feeds us the latest bullcrap fed down from their paid sponsors.

I believe that "hiccup" was that the 1///M bested the ///M3 around the ring when coupled to a DCT transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RäDIOCLäSH View Post
It is frequently difficult to listen to,but for me it's because of Gabe.
I think the other guy,as you say (Michael) is pissed off because he wants Gabe to annunciate his words(sleepy,mouthful of marbles) and stop completely talking over every point (IMO).
Quote:
I find the podcasts stupid anyway...they should just write they things they want to say...I only listen to a podcast when I really need to...the 1M news needed this effort from me
Thanks for listening! Podcasts are not for everyone but we are working on making them better through new equipment and editing software (the connection is a different story). I am not always sour FYI just been a long year for me and it makes for a better show if we have differing opinions If you ever listen to talk radio there are always two different personalities. Certain things we can not write about.

Just to show I can be less sour-

Last edited by mapezzul; 09-11-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Thanks for listening! Podcasts are not for everyone but we are working on making them better through new equipment and editing software
I am not sure if you really understand the podcast problem. The text articles are much more pleasant because a person can skip over the uninteresting parts and onto the desired topic in fractions of a second. On a podcast, we have to listen the whole thing to reach the topic we are interested in. When trying to skip from a media player, we only get frustration of not finding anything. The human being is much more trained to finding a desired topic in a text than in an audio file. Moreover, if using text instead of audio you have a much better chance of reaching new readers via Google or other search engines. An audio file buries essential information where very few are going to look.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #33
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
I am not sure if you really understand the podcast problem. The text articles are much more pleasant because a person can skip over the uninteresting parts and onto the desired topic in fractions of a second. On a podcast, we have to listen the whole thing to reach the topic we are interested in. When trying to skip from a media player, we only get frustration of not finding anything. The human being is much more trained to finding a desired topic in a text than in an audio file. Moreover, if using text instead of audio you have a much better chance of reaching new readers via Google or other search engines. An audio file buries essential information where very few are going to look.

No we totally get that but there are other times like killing time in a car during a commute where a podcast is a good alternative.

Like I said above there are some things we can't put in writing for reasons you may not understand and that is fine. Some of the info on the 1M we explained well before it hit print and that is not by chance. We do the casts for fun and for those that are avid listeners. People looking for a nugget is not our target audience. If we were charging for te podcast or to read te info you would have a point but that is not the case.

To each their own and we will keep things the way we must for our reasons. Thanks for the input though, it is always helpful.
      10-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #34
consemated
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic VTI Orial

My syncros are shredded I can barely get it into 1st, any suggestion on wheter to rebuild, buy reman, swap a used transmissions one, or sell the car?

Last edited by consemated; 11-18-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #35
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It is complete BS. Period!
Appreciate 0