BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Performance Friction Pads - 135i

Well, I just ordered a set of these

They're supposed to fit, but rattle a bit since they're not an OEM fitment. Basically made as you can tell for the 335. Person I spoke to said they've run them before and work great. Should be testing them out soon and will report back. Just wish Performance Friction will build OEM fitment pads for our calipers, but if these work then I'm stoked.

I was using Hawks DTC-70 fronts and 60 rears, they were great for the first couple of track days, but after that, they just don't perform the same. Seems to be a common thing, I've read even a design feature, but for the price they should work all the way down as far as possible. I still had almost 50% pad left, but stopping power, modulation was way down.

I've heard great things from PFC, specially from BMW race teams down here, so hopefully it's all true.

edit: "this probably should've gone in the Brake section, but since it's track related.. bah I don't know.. mods can move it if needed."

Last edited by yandy; 04-02-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

DAMN! Performance Friction makes the best brakes around! Yes please report back, I'd like to know how they fit. I saw a thread around here where they were fitting E46 M3 brakes to 135s with an adapter. I was thinking of maybe buying the Performance Friction set up for the E46 and using the adapters. ? Maybe?
      04-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

hm... i didn't realize 335 pads were even remotely similar to 135 pads. i'm a huge fan of the pfc 01 compound, but i'm a little curious about the fit. i think there was some suspicion that many of the early piston failures were caused by ill-fitting pads. please keep us updated on how this works out!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Hmm, PFC makes pads to fit my Stoptech front, but not the stock 135i rear. I'd like to run PFC06 all round if I could. Let us know how it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Yandy, the 3 series brake pads are completely different and won't even remotely fit our calipers...
      04-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I thought you could get pfc01 for our calipers but no pads for back
      04-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
I thought you could get pfc01 for our calipers but no pads for back
yandyr said raceshoppers.com had them for 135i front brakes, but the PFC site doesn't list them, and I've never seen them anywhere, including raceshoppers.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Yandy, the 3 series brake pads are completely different and won't even remotely fit our calipers...
I talked to the guys at bimmerworld, and they have used them with success. Now, whether this is true or not, we'll see. Worst case, I send them back and get something else, but figured a little experimental try on my own was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
yandyr said raceshoppers.com had them for 135i front brakes, but the PFC site doesn't list them, and I've never seen them anywhere, including raceshoppers.com.
Well, raceshopper lets your request a quote, which was the weird thing. But no they don't exist for our calipers, that was my own fault I guess. After further research, finally gave in that there are no standard fitments for our cars "which sucks".. but hopefully these work out.

I will keep you all posted on what I find.
      04-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

Hi: I had a set on my older e30, and the metal and friction material completely separated on two pads.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I have to disagree with OP about DTC70 pads. They work great for me. Stopping power is insane untill they are down to backing plates. Even on the street when they are cold, work almost as well as stock pads but are noisy.
I had PFC-01s on my previous track car e46m3, and they were great, but i cant say PFC-01 is better than DTC70 at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I have to disagree with OP about DTC70 pads. They work great for me. Stopping power is insane untill they are down to backing plates. Even on the street when they are cold, work almost as well as stock pads but are noisy.
I had PFC-01s on my previous track car e46m3, and they were great, but i cant say PFC-01 is better than DTC70 at all.
It's awesome that they worked for you the whole way; different styles I guess. I'm just going out of personal experience, could be my set, maybe not. But all I've talked to track side say the same thing, when really pushed, you get about two weekends out of them. So it doesn't hurt (I hope not) to try something else, and all the racers swear by PFC compounds.
      04-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well, just called bimmerworld again, and they confirmed that there was a mistake in identity. These are M3 pads that happen to work on the 335i, it was a bit fishy from the beginning but they're getting it worked out.

They're even getting Performance Friction involved to see if they have a fitment for our cars with a different part number / meant for something else but would work. A bit disappointed, but glad it was brought out before I killed my self .

They've been really helpful, and hopefully PFC comes back with something positive. I really want to try some PFC pads on this car. Otherwise it'll be back to Hawks or Carbotechs which also don't last very long, but are allot more friendly on rotors.
      04-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
It's awesome that they worked for you the whole way; different styles I guess. I'm just going out of personal experience, could be my set, maybe not. But all I've talked to track side say the same thing, when really pushed, you get about two weekends out of them. So it doesn't hurt (I hope not) to try something else, and all the racers swear by PFC compounds.
I've heard that PFC06 lasts much longer than PFC01 and that DTC60 front and rear likewise lasts much longer than DTC70/DTC60.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
you can get pagid rs29. they only come for fronts. guess you could run dtc 60 in the back. they are pricey around $400 but some consider them the best
      08-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

What is there available for our rear pads? Im looking to put PFC 06 or 08 up front with my Stoptech ST60s, but want PFC 01s for the rear. Sounds like PFC doesnt make any for the 135i rear brakes?

If they don't, is there something comparable to the PFC 01s? Im currently running Carbotech XP12, but need something that lasts a bit longer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Well, just called bimmerworld again, and they confirmed that there was a mistake in identity. These are M3 pads that happen to work on the 335i
Run away from anyone that makes such statements. Front M3 and 335 pad size is identical and PFC order codes are the same for both. Neither fits your 135.

I agree with GroundPilot, the DTC70s are a great all around track pad. Great stopping power, warm and cold, and you can run them close to the backing plates before replacing. PFC01s are very different, they won't bite when cold and their floating design ensures you'll have rattling across the board. I don't care about the rattling itself, I care about missing important audio feedback that the rattling may be masking at the track.
When warm, both DTC70s and PFC01s have great stopping power. Both will eat your rotors. If you want most of the stopping power with greater longevity, DTC60s and PFC08s fit the bill.

Last year I ran both PFC01s and DTC70s, dropped the PFC01s this year in favor of the DTC70s and haven't looked back. I'd say I do 4 x 2-day events on one set of DTC70s.

Good luck with the test, always good to have choices.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Run away from anyone that makes such statements. Front M3 and 335 pad size is identical and PFC order codes are the same for both. Neither fits your 135.

I agree with GroundPilot, the DTC70s are a great all around track pad. Great stopping power, warm and cold, and you can run them close to the backing plates before replacing. PFC01s are very different, they won't bite when cold and their floating design ensures you'll have rattling across the board. I don't care about the rattling itself, I care about missing important audio feedback that the rattling may be masking at the track.
When warm, both DTC70s and PFC01s have great stopping power. Both will eat your rotors. If you want most of the stopping power with greater longevity, DTC60s and PFC08s fit the bill.

Last year I ran both PFC01s and DTC70s, dropped the PFC01s this year in favor of the DTC70s and haven't looked back. I'd say I do 4 x 2-day events on one set of DTC70s.

Good luck with the test, always good to have choices.
Thanks for posting. I'm completely happy with DTC70/60 I've been using in my car, but I wished I could try PFC01/06/08 because they get by far the best reviews on the track forums I read. However, I've almost never seen PFC pads compared directly to Hawk DTC series. So it's nice to hear that you prefer them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Thanks for posting. I'm completely happy with DTC70/60 I've been using in my car, but I wished I could try PFC01/06/08 because they get by far the best reviews on the track forums I read. However, I've almost never seen PFC pads compared directly to Hawk DTC series. So it's nice to hear that you prefer them.
They do get great reviews. I forgot to mention that PFC offers front/back '01 fitment for a balanced setup. No such option on the DTC side, best you can do is DTC70/DTC60 as you mentioned. Anything below HP+ in the rear and the brake bias is so uneven that the rears will lock up. This is at least on the e92 platform.

On the flip side, my streets are also Hawk (HPS) and the pad material seems compatible with the DTC line, no pad deposits or bedding issues on the same rotors.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun View Post
They do get great reviews. I forgot to mention that PFC offers front/back '01 fitment for a balanced setup. No such option on the DTC side, best you can do is DTC70/DTC60 as you mentioned. Anything below HP+ in the rear and the brake bias is so uneven that the rears will lock up. This is at least on the e92 platform.

On the flip side, my streets are also Hawk (HPS) and the pad material seems compatible with the DTC line, no pad deposits or bedding issues on the same rotors.
Great advice here! I track my car weekly, and hate my Cool Carbon pads - they do not tolerate abuse and heat from the track very well. They are just OK on the street, with less bite than stock pads.

Love the fact that you can avoid re-bedding by staying within same brand of pads. Im considering DTC-60 pads on stock, Zimmerman, or Centric blank rotors. Perhaps HPS or HP+ for the street, if the DTC-60 are too noisy. I heard that the noise may not be that bad with racing pads such as the Hawk DTC's, if you dont wear off the pad deposit from the track, if your car sees little street use.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0