BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
caljoe89
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible M sport

Crankshaft sensor code after doing spark plugs?

I got the DIY bug and changed my spark plugs recently. I got the PROCEDE installed, new FMIC and the meth injection kit. Since I was getting misfires after the mods (~47K miles), decided to change the spark plugs. I had a really tough time removing the rear engine cover because I could not remove the passenger side strut brace, so I left it in. However, I had to really wiggle the cover around to get it off, and there were all kinds of wires (including the PROCEDE ones just installed) that I may have yanked.

So after changing the plugs and putting everything back on, I started it up and now the engine idles roughly and will even die at times when idling. High revs and WOT (did this only a few times) were fine. However, after a couple of times I would sometime get the engine malfunction indicator, and I always got a check engine light after doing the plugs. I did an oil change but didn't drive it afterwards.

I took it in to my local indy shop and he read the codes. I expected a misfire code pointing to bad plugs or coils, but didn't get those. I did get a code for the airflow intake sensor (which I forgot to plug back in ) and a code for the crankshaft sensor. I wish I had written it down but he was busy and had another customer waiting and was reading my codes just to help me out.

So after all this, my question is, could I have inadvertently pulled out the crankshaft sensor (not even sure what this is, but is the the same as the crankshaft position sensor?) while yanking on my engine cover? If so, is there an easy way to check if it's plugged in or if a wire is damaged? The shop told me that the sensor is positioned at the back/under-side of the engine and hard to get to, probably not something I can easily check with my set up (jack stands, no lift).

I'm going to bring it in to get it fixed (and I have a massive coolant tank leak which I'll see if I can tackle myself too before bringing it in), but if there's something I can do myself I'd like to try. FWIW, I'm a newbie at this and have done very little work so I wouldn't feel comfortable taking apart too many things that could cause some real damage if I mess up.

Thanks for reading the novel!
Appreciate 0