BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Most Popular Tune

Has anyone seen any comparison data of the various tunes out there.

Power gains, price, detectability, availability, etc? If their isnt I would like to start a bit of a database.

First off what tuners should we be concerned with?
-JB
-Vishnu
-SSTT
-Dinan

What parameters should we capture?
- Price
- HP/TQ

Do you think this sort of data would be useful?

I know for myself I am in the market for a tune but cant decide on the right one.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think from reading past posts, you could say the JB seems to be the most popular overall. Dinan would be the choice for people who want warranty coverage.
Problem is for the price of the Dinan you can do a lot of additional mods, and from what I gather, if you dont beat your car to death, the tunes from all seem to be fairly safe.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I agree that JB seems to be the most popular on this forum at least. I just wonder whay that is? What makes JB the top choice? Price? performance? or simply more advertising?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

From what I can tell, the people from Burger Tuning seem to be very active and responsive here on the forums. They answer questions, jump in on debates, etc. That goes a LONG way on a forum like this. There also seems to be a genuine concern about triggering ECU codes and they are very vocal about that- hell, they even sell a chip burner for flashing your JB is any important new software comes out.

So, to me, that's all good stuff. The other important thing, for myself, is what we're NOT reading on these forums. What we're not reading is post after post of people that really messed up their engines and/or have been denied warranty-covered repairs. I have been watching the forums for this, and overall, I just don't see people reporting such issues and telling horror stories. And believe me, people would definitely be speaking up if they had such stories.

(And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I ordered my 135i a couple weeks ago and I've just been trying to keep up with this stuff. I plan on perhaps doing a JB3 at about 8k miles or so after the engine has settled in.)
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

Most popular Tune?

Well, there are so many. One of my favourites comes from 'Mahlers Ruckerlieder': the song 'Ich der welt abhanden gekommen'. Just sit back and listen.

http://www.imeem.com/eastman68/music...handen-gekomm/
This is the version for coir. The original one is for orchestra, soprano and alt-oboe. example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXBAllqCpJ8I have played last this piece on the alto-oboe on a concert, with orchestra and soprane. Wonderful experience.

enjoy..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs1.35i View Post
Most popular Tune?

Well, there are so many. One of my favourites comes from 'Mahlers Ruckerlieder': the song 'Ich der welt abhanden gekommen'. Just sit back and listen.

http://www.imeem.com/eastman68/music...handen-gekomm/
This is the version for coir. The original one is for orchestra, soprano and alt-oboe. example:
I have played last this piece on the alto-oboe on a concert, with orchestra and soprane. Wonderful experience.

enjoy..
I thought the topic was obvious being under the 'engine mods section.'
I guess some need a little extra guidance.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
1lvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i JB+

Great Idea. I ended up going with the JB+ because it fit my needs and it was cheap..
      04-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
From what I can tell, the people from Burger Tuning seem to be very active and responsive here on the forums. They answer questions, jump in on debates, etc. That goes a LONG way on a forum like this. There also seems to be a genuine concern about triggering ECU codes and they are very vocal about that- hell, they even sell a chip burner for flashing your JB is any important new software comes out.

So, to me, that's all good stuff. The other important thing, for myself, is what we're NOT reading on these forums. What we're not reading is post after post of people that really messed up their engines and/or have been denied warranty-covered repairs. I have been watching the forums for this, and overall, I just don't see people reporting such issues and telling horror stories. And believe me, people would definitely be speaking up if they had such stories.

(And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I ordered my 135i a couple weeks ago and I've just been trying to keep up with this stuff. I plan on perhaps doing a JB3 at about 8k miles or so after the engine has settled in.)
One thing that has got me a little concerned these days is their seems to be a recommendation to have a BT scanner at hand for CELs.

Do you have a 'top3' tunes you would consider? I was all set to order JB+ but I read somewhere that it isn't as 'smooth' as the SSTT. I think I am best off with the JB3 so I can have a little more flexibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
One thing that has got me a little concerned these days is their seems to be a recommendation to have a BT scanner at hand for CELs.

Do you have a 'top3' tunes you would consider? I was all set to order JB+ but I read somewhere that it isn't as 'smooth' as the SSTT. I think I am best off with the JB3 so I can have a little more flexibility.
That's because people are testing out 1.3 beta maps with their chip burners. 1.22 is still the official release I believe for those who do not want to participate in testing terry's new tuning...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

Quote:

I read this same info on a comparison between the JB3 and SST. SST is at the top of my list but I really dont have any basis other than that one review.

What about piggybacks vs. ECU flash?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I think the first thing that needs to be done is to seperate the JB+ and SSTT out. They're not really tunes. They're just tricking the car into making more boost. There's nothing wrong with that (I ran an SSTT for a while) but there's a pretty large gap between those and the kind of power you make with a full tune.

Once that's out of the way, you can start narrowing it down based on the price/performance ratio, and what your priorities are (warranty, user adjustability, ect).

The JB3 represents good value, and I've had very good experience with their customer service (Terry answered an email on Christmas Eve). I don't have any experience with the other options.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

OOOOOOOOOO, is it about power-tune..........?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
That's because everyone is pushing their cars on maps they shouldn't be (ie. lower gas grade or less supporting mods). I haven't triggered any codes and I've checked my car numerous times when I had the 1st version of the JB3.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

I ran JB3 1.23 on map 6 which i'm told I should not have done with Intake/JB3/93 octane alone and I never threw any codes (verified with BT tool)

I own JB3 and love it. Friend of mine is looking at the Proceed for his 335 and tells me nothing but good things about it. From what he says it's more expensive than the JB3 but also scans/checks/clears codes for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Another one of the reasons flash-tunes like Dinan and LET aren't active on 1Addicts.com is that maybe the market is too small to justify their presence. And I've never seen Shiv@Vishnu on the forum other than to get defensive about his products. He doesn't seem to care enough about the 1er community to become an active, contributing partner/vendor.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I think the first thing that needs to be done is to seperate the JB+ and SSTT out. They're not really tunes. They're just tricking the car into making more boost. There's nothing wrong with that (I ran an SSTT for a while) but there's a pretty large gap between those and the kind of power you make with a full tune.

Once that's out of the way, you can start narrowing it down based on the price/performance ratio, and what your priorities are (warranty, user adjustability, ect).

The JB3 represents good value, and I've had very good experience with their customer service (Terry answered an email on Christmas Eve). I don't have any experience with the other options.
This is a good point. I am interested to learn more about your experience going from SSTT and JB3.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is a good point. I am interested to learn more about your experience going from SSTT and JB3.

The JB3 is MUCH faster. I've got a 1/4 mile marked out where I grew up that I've alway used to test my cars on. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close. Stock the car would trap about 106MPH (GPS reading) with the SSTT and catless pipes it was more like 110-112 MPH. With the JB3 (always on 93octane) it's reading pretty damn close to 120MPH.

The power comes on smoother with the JB3 as well. The SSTT is a good mod for the money and easy installation and removal, but it's not in the same league as the JB3. I'd assume the same would go for the other piggybacks and full tunes, with the exception of the Dinan, which isn't making quiet as much power from what I've seen.

IMO anyone planning on installing any tune should also budget for the BT Scanner if warranty work is a concern. The potential to set tampering codes exists for all of them from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

Also let me add with the recent problems i've been having with my car (turns out it may not be related to ANYTHING aftermarket) Terry (JB3) has been in close contact with me via email trying to help.

By close contact I mean an email within ten minutes of sending one.

I wish all customer service these days were as good as BMS/Terry.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The JB3 is MUCH faster. I've got a 1/4 mile marked out where I grew up that I've alway used to test my cars on. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close. Stock the car would trap about 106MPH (GPS reading) with the SSTT and catless pipes it was more like 110-112 MPH. With the JB3 (always on 93octane) it's reading pretty damn close to 120MPH.

The power comes on smoother with the JB3 as well. The SSTT is a good mod for the money and easy installation and removal, but it's not in the same league as the JB3. I'd assume the same would go for the other piggybacks and full tunes, with the exception of the Dinan, which isn't making quiet as much power from what I've seen.

IMO anyone planning on installing any tune should also budget for the BT Scanner if warranty work is a concern. The potential to set tampering codes exists for all of them from what I've seen.
What about on 91 octane. 93 is not available in my neck of the woods.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about on 91 octane. 93 is not available in my neck of the woods.

I've only ran it on 91 a couple of time, but the difference isn't really noticeable, at least not on the butt seat dyno. I wouldn't run any of the aggressive maps on 91 though. (I normally don't anyway).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #21
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
no one has the AA tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

We're now running the JB3 on our shop 135i and 335i. The 135i is mostly tracked, the 335i is 100% street driven.

I can say that in both situations (street & race) we have been hiccup free for almost a year now.

The only CEL we've ever triggered was due to a wire that had come loose on the 135i which was my fault for not securing it properly.

With all of the tunes you have listed, the Dinan is the only one that give you "factory" BMW coverage. But you pay a hefty $1500 premium for the 1/1000 chance that you will need to invoke Dinan privilege.
Appreciate 0