BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Mod friendly dealership

The only two options I know of in NW Washington are BMW of Seattle and Bellevue. Which of these, if any, is known to be "mod-friendly"? I've got some pretty extensive work that can't just be taken off every time I need to go in for service.
      08-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

realistically, how much warranty do you have left? It may be less of a hassle to find an independent BMW/Euro car repair shop and work through them for maintenance and repairs.
      08-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Not exactly sure. About 15,000 miles and probably close to 1.5 years. Definitely more than a year's worth.

Indy shops don't forward BMWNA the bill for warranty/scheduled service work, right? Did I miss that somewhere? Do they make exceptions for people that live far away? I live almost two hours from the nearest dealership and it's definitely a hassle to take my car in. Even more so if it needs to stay for more than a few hours.
      08-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I feel you pain on the location... waiting around sucks! IMHO, I would pay out of pocket for oil changes and general maintenance to avoid the time commitment to the dealer, and plan for a remove and replace party for any serious "warranty" work.
      08-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Sounds like my kind of party! I guess it's true you have to pay to play.
      08-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I usually goto Kuni (I know way to far for you) BMW for my Z4M and they have taken care of me with everything I need so far with my car literally dragging on the ground now. I may be going in this Friday or Saturday for a valve adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

There are no BMW dealers that are fine with mods...They may say they are , but ask them to put that in writing. It's complete BS to think if a dealer say's they are mod friendly they really are...Just walk in there with a blown turbo and the JB4 on there.....BMW is notorious to decline any warranty work till ALL the aftermarket mods are off the car that might have a bearing on a issue..especially engine mods....Show me ONE BMW dealer in the USA that will put a mod friendly signature in writing on your question....There is no mod friendly dealer. I found out the hard way...And in reality i do not blame BMW for not covering a car with mods that might of caused an issue...I wish it wasn't so but......
      08-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
There are no BMW dealers that are fine with mods...They may say they are , but ask them to put that in writing. It's complete BS to think if a dealer say's they are mod friendly they really are...Just walk in there with a blown turbo and the JB4 on there.....BMW is notorious to decline any warranty work till ALL the aftermarket mods are off the car that might have a bearing on a issue..especially engine mods....Show me ONE BMW dealer in the USA that will put a mod friendly signature in writing on your question....There is no mod friendly dealer. I found out the hard way...And in reality i do not blame BMW for not covering a car with mods that might of caused an issue...I wish it wasn't so but......

Very true. It's definitely the one big advantage of the BMW Performance catalog.

The only aftermarket part on my car is the P3 Vent Boost Gauge and I make sure to disable the display each time I bring my car into the dealer. If I had an electrical issue I would probably pull the gauge to avoid any chance for dispute.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
This is known for all dealers for the past 30+ years but some of us have actually gone in and they have worked on built motors or suspension with the parts or stock. I have done this with my old $100k+ modded NSX at the dealer. They had no issue with working on it.

Sorry you have had bad luck but it is not the case at every dealer. Thats a fact. I am not going to argue what I know or have experienced..

If they tell you that they wont work on it then put it back to stock and take to another dealer. Done and done. Again, did this route in California years ago for a $5000 warranty item.

Last edited by Endless619; 08-10-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0