BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Harris ponders the 'one car to rule them all' purchase and returns to his original co

Over on pistonheads site (and a mention of us regular 1M SS attendees)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...%20BMW%201%20M

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 10-08-2012 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Nice article! Glad we got a mention too
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

AND he chose the best colour too!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

My BMW dealer mentioned to me he just can't get hold of enough second hand stock for the number of enquires he gets. Forecasts residuals will be rock solid for low mileage cars.

Puts a smile on my face everyday I drive it. Best car I have owned and that includes M3, M6 and various Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Nice article! Glad we got a mention too
And we will all be back again later in the month

Popular thread on PH....

But I do love all the experts that come out of the closet, "I have not ever driven one, actually never seen one on the road but it doesn't deliver" and all that bull we love about PH

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 10-08-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

It is interesting reading all of the PH members comments.

It's easy to be biased as I own a 1M, but I'm pretty certain that future residuals will remain strong for quite some time.

The main reasons are that there is no comparative car that has the same breadth of abilities, it is reasonably affordable to run and is a limited production run model which has appealed to so many car journalists the world over.

Time will only tell, but for me I'm not too worried about residuals. As far as I'm concerned the 1M is a true drivers car for the modern world and I count myself very fortunate to own one!
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves

Last edited by h-manuk; 10-08-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Very true mate, residuals is not something I even consider when buying the car I wont, I buy for here and now, not what I may make when it comes time to sell, what fun would be in that, planning your next purchase for someone else lol

But the comments by some are well expected, many have never seen and those who have are usually ours all parked up together once a month and generate a number of interested onlookers, but to say we only purchased the 1M is because we could not afford the M3 is a classic, the same person to say that previous owns a boxter, so it had to be asked, could he not afford a cayman
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
Interesting reading all of the PH members comments.
It's easy to be biased as I own a 1M, but I'm pretty certain that future residuals will remain strong for quite some time.
The main reasons are that there is no comparative car that has the same breadth of abilities, is reasonably affordable to run, is a limited production run and one that has appealed to so many car journalists the world over.
Time will only tell, but for me I'm not too worried about residuals as far as I'm concerned the 1M is a true drivers car for the modern world and count myself fortunate to own one!
The 1M will be remembered as a streetcar named "Desire" ...before the era kicked in where everything went hybrid.
      10-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The 1M will be remembered as a streetcar named "Desire" ...before the era kicked in where everything went hybrid.
"A streetcar named desire", that's a good one Artemis, thank you T. Williams too
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Nice review (we should include it in the compilations thread), and as can be expected an ensuing discussion filled with polarity
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladeywadey View Post
I have to say I was surprised by how well the 1M is holding up residual-wise and articles such as that will no doubt help.

My previous M car was a CSL and I lost Ŗ1k over the year/13k miles I had it for and that was damn good value as far as I'm concerned.

Is there a meeting point for the PH SS or are we all jsut turning up?
Think there'll probably be a meeting point somewhere along the A3. 1M sorted? Ready for that night drive ?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m v/a

You just have to laugh reading the comments on ph! Haters come out with such utter crap the 1m is crap apparently! Oh and a massive compromise! They would rather have a ratty old m3cs! Not even a csl! But a cs or a lotus evora! Seriously reading those comments makes me believe that euthanasia should be introduced for the good of mankind!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
that's PH i'm afraid - who cares anyway. they probably drive safe, haldex ridden audi's.
I had a haldex driven VAG car
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've had 3! I'm a slow learner clearly..
Lol!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quite puzzling that some at PH keep arguing that the 1M is the poor man's M3:
"To be honest, to me it doesn't matter how fast it is, how much power it has, it's still a 1 series. It just screams ĢI wish I had an M3 but cannot afford oneģ.
All these powerful German cars have the same boring styling too, huge wheel arches, massive wheels, lots of vents and holes. If these cars were people, they would be bodybuilders. Idiots. Vest wearing meat heads. Not sexy.
Not for me I'm afraid, I'd much rather buy Italian or British than German unless it's a Mercedes SL possibly. For that money I'd buy a second hand Maserati. This to me seems to be a modern-day German Nissan Pulsar! Not cool. Unless your weekends involve hanging around in Tesco's carpark."
To me, the E9X M3 and/or finance was no part of the equation for getting the 1M. If BMW had not released the 1M, I would have still been driving my E46 M3 SMGII as we speak. The E9X M3 never appealed to me, despite all of its qualities; but to be fair, that's merely a subjective thing: some things you like, some things you don't. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

However, when BMW let the 1M cat outta the bag, I was immediately sold on the concept and package. It was the next big thing around the corner I had hoped for. A rush of blood through the ///M Division veins. For me, it was no process of gradually starting to like the 1M (the process of an idea growing on you) - no, it was an instant connection (something I never experienced with the E9X M3 concept): "1M ? Wann'em !". No regrets.
      10-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Nothing like a set of training wheels to get you started

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Let those posters on PH be. Can't please everyone. Most have not owned or driven either anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Nothing like a set of training wheels to get you started

Lol . Sladey and I had a right riot with my baby bicycle and his CSL around West Sussex at 1am, waking everyone up!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quite puzzling that some at PH keep arguing that the 1M is the poor man's M3:
"To be honest, to me it doesn't matter how fast it is, how much power it has, it's still a 1 series. It just screams ĢI wish I had an M3 but cannot afford oneģ.
All these powerful German cars have the same boring styling too, huge wheel arches, massive wheels, lots of vents and holes. If these cars were people, they would be bodybuilders. Idiots. Vest wearing meat heads. Not sexy.
Not for me I'm afraid, I'd much rather buy Italian or British than German unless it's a Mercedes SL possibly. For that money I'd buy a second hand Maserati. This to me seems to be a modern-day German Nissan Pulsar! Not cool. Unless your weekends involve hanging around in Tesco's carpark."
To me, the E9X M3 and/or finance was no part of the equation for getting the 1M. If BMW had not released the 1M, I would have still been driving my E46 M3 SMGII as we speak. The E9X M3 never appealed to me, despite all of its qualities; but to be fair, that's merely a subjective thing: some things you like, some things you don't. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

However, when BMW let the 1M cat outta the bag, I was immediately sold on the concept and package. It was the next big thing around the corner I had hoped for. A rush of blood through the ///M Division veins. For me, it was no process of gradually starting to like the 1M (the process of an idea growing on you) - no, it was an instant connection (something I never experienced with the E9X M3 concept): "1M ? Wann'em !". No regrets.

There is a number of PH members who haven't a clue and just go with the norm, be one of the guys, and have no actual opinion of their own, more a collective.

Many have an opinion on car's they have never seen nor driven based on what other PH members opinions.......It is just PH for you
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Lol petworth from memory! You can go in front next time

Name:  IMG_2550.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  165.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Tamara
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Lol petworth from memory! You can go in front next time
Best thing to do with Petworth IMO needs waking up! But then there's some great roads - A285 for one.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Best thing to do with Petworth IMO needs waking up! But then there's some great roads - A285 for one.
My favourite road in that region is the A272 eastbound from Petersfield all the way to Billingshurst. A good few corkscrew bends that can generate some real Gs .
Appreciate 0