BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Settings for Aftermarket Subwoofer and Amp

Installed a JL Audio 10w6v2 Subwoofer and Kenwood eXcelon XR600-1 Monoblock Amp in my car a few days ago and have been fiddling with the tuning on and off ever since...

I have HK Audio so I have Bass/Treble Control as well as an Equaliser on the HU. Amp is connected using a Technic wiring harness...

Does anyone have any recommendations for the following?
  • Bass on the HU
  • Equaliser Settings
  • Input Sensitivity on the Amp
  • Crossover Frequency on the Amp
  • Bass Boost on the Amp

Currently I have the Bass on the HU set to Neutral, the 100Hz set to 4 below max, the 200Hz set to 1 below max, the input sensitivity set to 1/10, the Bass Boost set to 1/10 and the X-over set to 100Hz...

Pretty sure I can bring that crossover point down lower and turn the HU bass up a bit to get more mid/low fill out of the underseat woofers but would very much like some feedback/thoughts...

Thanks.
      08-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Guess I'm on my own... Pitty... I know there are people here that have done similar things...
      09-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
dubluv17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

If I were you, I would disconnect the sub to tune the door speakers. Pick a handful of songs that you know push the speakers' low ends. Then start with the lowest setting of bass and crank up the volume to where you think it is the loudest that you'll ever play. Slowly increase the bass until you hear distortion, and then back off a little bit. Now turn the sub back on and try to match the levels so that it's not overpowering. I'd probably start with the LPF crossover on your sub amp at 80Hz.

Overall, I think your door speakers will be able to handle down to 80Hz OK, but you just wanna make sure that when you push them that there is no distortion. Since you have a 10" sub, you might even set your LPF crossover to 100Hz. Try to really tackle the mids and highs with your door speakers. I'm no pro, but that would be my route. See what your ears like.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks mate. Yeah.. Ended up doing pretty much that. Found an Alpine Calibration CD from a few years back that I forgot I had....

100Hz LPF works well for the Sub... I reckon I can drop it to 80Hz if I replace the underseat woofers with something a bit gruntier...