BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
grish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Thumbs down Is it just me or the usual BMW service level?

I place an order for the 128 convertible a month and a half ago and it's at the prep center now.

Ever since day one I felt like the dealer was doing me a favor by taking my order and answering my questions.

Even before placing the order with my dealer, while shopping around and talking to other dealerships it felt like noone cared if I actually bought my car through them or at all for that matter.

This is my first "upscale" car purchase, prior to that I dealt with Acura, Toyota, Mazda, Honda and Mitsubishi and the dealerships were much more eager to get my business and overall much more responsive.

I am just wondering if this is normal..

Last edited by grish; 05-21-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Jimmydean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe, bare bones

Depends. How old are you? and how do you carry yourself?

That is, if you are at least 40 and stroll in looking like daddy warbucks, you might have gotten a better response.

If you are under 30 and don't look like you have that much money - or you look like you are 'dope' (you know what I mean), they aren't going to cater to you.

Think about it, you're at BMW, but you are buying arguably the cheapest car they offer. At honda, mazda, etc. you were an average if not upscale customer compared to most of their clients. You were their target!

And if you live around NYC, they probably have alot of people with alot of money in the area that they would like to spend time on besides you.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
grish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydean View Post
Depends. How old are you? and how do you carry yourself?...
I look mid to late 30's and present myself well, came to talk to them right after work in business casual.

But even emails and phone response is the same. Shopping around I would not get emails answered for two or three days, across dealeships.

Another point, when I actually came to sign the deal the day after I negotiated the price, and brought my wife to see the car the feeling of them doing me a favor was even more amazing.
I called prior to make sure the guy will be there and the one I spoke with wasn't available, so they said another one will talk to me. So we walk into the dealership, around 6pm, and we see couple of sales people standing around, no customers but not a single one of them seems to notice us and they are maybe 10 feet away.
We stand and look around for a couple of minutes and finally the receptionist asks if we need any help. I tell her that I have an appointment and this guy is supposed to talk to me, sure enough it was the guy standing closest to us, but not until the receptionist called him did he even look at us.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Future 135i Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 135i

Not normal at all.

If you are under 30 like Jimmydean said and they're treating you differently because of your age, I would find a new dealer. Age/looks is no reason for them to treat you like that.

I'm 24, the dealer I ordered my car from didn't make me feel like I was just some kid pestering him. He answered all my questions and got me all the info I asked for, for about an hour without even asking to check my credit.

Just my take on it. I'd find a dealer that respects you, or at least does a decent job of pretending they do.
      05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
grish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10000111 View Post
...I'd find a dealer that respects you, or at least does a decent job of pretending they do.
It's not really a matter of respect, they do fine in that regard once they notice you.

They just don't seem all that caring about selling you a car, across multiple BMW dealers.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
BKScripto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Sedona/Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grish View Post
I place an order for the 128 convertible a month and a half ago and it's at the prep center now.

Ever since day one I felt like the dealer was doing me a favor by taking my order and answering my questions.

Even before placing the order with my dealer, while shopping around and talking to other dealerships it felt like noone cared if I actually bought my car through them or at all for that matter.

This is my first "upscale" car purchase, prior to that I dealt with Acura, Toyota, Mazda, Honda and Mitsubishi and the dealerships were much more eager to get my business and overall much more responsive.

I am just wondering if this is normal...
Yeah, I had sort of the same problem. I had a local dealer give me a decent price but I went elsewhere because I thought the sales guy was slow and lazy. He didn't let me push the 135i much on the test drive, either.
He had the "I don't care if you order or not" kind of attitude.

Of course, I'm only 22 and he probably thought I couldn't buy anyway. But that attitude lost him a sale. I went with another dealer because I liked the sales guy better. I'll have to drive a little further at pick up time, but I don't mind, it'll just give me a longer drive home
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I didnt get that kind of response from my dealership...and I was 17 when I was ordering.

There is no reason for that. If you are serious about buying the car then they should be at least willing to look at you. Take you money elsewhere if you can, guys like that don't deserve your commision.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10000111 View Post
Not normal at all.

If you are under 30 like Jimmydean said and they're treating you differently because of your age, I would find a new dealer. Age/looks is no reason for them to treat you like that.

I'm 24, the dealer I ordered my car from didn't make me feel like I was just some kid pestering him. He answered all my questions and got me all the info I asked for, for about an hour without even asking to check my credit.

Just my take on it. I'd find a dealer that respects you, or at least does a decent job of pretending they do.
+1

I refuse to give my money to douchebags...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
+1
I refuse to give my money to douchebags...
+1 as well

I didn't buy a Lexus for this very reason. While in the market for a new car, I was looking at the new IS. Entire show room was empty, not a single customer, 3 salesmen around a brochure rack. Didn't pay any attention to me at all. I finally asked for some help, and they asked if I could come back later because they were busy.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

Im thinking its one of those upscale dealership things, ive found it at Lexus, and Acura dealers, as well as Benz, and BMW. The salesmen at those places seem to have a superiority complex. At a time when car sales are floundering, youd think theyd be more than happy to attend to a customer, but not the case (mind you im sure they also have plenty of brokeass lookie-lous that dont buy). I found that the way to turn it arround is to treat them as just another car salesmen, and if one doesnt help, then go and talk about the car with one of his coleagues( worked for me, and my salesman ended up being very helpful) Remember that they may have an ego, but they are just car salesmen, and they get bounced from dealer to dealer depending on their sales, and most will only get to drive the high end vehicles they sell by driving the demo vehicle that most of them have to pay to have.
Basically if you dont like one guy, then find another...someone will be glad to help ya out...money in their pocket is money in their pocket.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Jimmydean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe, bare bones

Quote:
But even emails and phone response is the same. Shopping around I would not get emails answered for two or three days, across dealeships.
What I did was go online and build a car and do that thing where you're supposed to get a quote from all the dealerships in the area.
After a week I had contacts I had gone back and forth with over 1 or 2 emails at every dealership. Basically just a point of contact. This was a month before I ordered, told them I'd contact them in 4 weeks.

When I was ready to order I sent the emails out to all 8 people. Because they had prior correspondence with me, they knew I was serious and 7 sent me offers within 24 hours. (1 guy didn't bother, even after I called him. oh well, too bad for him).

This might be a good strategy for getting return emails when you are finally ready to order.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKScripto View Post
Yeah, I had sort of the same problem. I had a local dealer give me a decent price but I went elsewhere because I thought the sales guy was slow and lazy. He didn't let me push the 135i much on the test drive, either.
He had the "I don't care if you order or not" kind of attitude.

Of course, I'm only 22 and he probably thought I couldn't buy anyway. But that attitude lost him a sale. I went with another dealer because I liked the sales guy better. I'll have to drive a little further at pick up time, but I don't mind, it'll just give me a longer drive home
Yep, I'm roughly the same age as you and I stood around waiting for 15 mins in the showroom before someone said something. 4 CAs sitting around chatting with each other, i'm the only one in there. My car was in for maintenance and it was a good opportunity to look at a new car since my lease will be up in the near future.

Finally one of the senior CAs walks in and asks if I had been helped. I came to realize that he was one of the good CAs that exist. On my test drive with the 135i he basically told me "Go ahead and floor it around this curve, i'm simply not responsible for any tickets". Pretty much let me drive this thing the way it should be driven. Very easy going. Was extremely helpful running through some of the other incentives existing currently. Did not treat me like I wasn't serious. I explained right off the bat that I'm coming off a lease soon and would like to get into another new car.

Unfortunately the pull-ahead programs end June 1st and i'm looking for a August delivery (not sure when the next one is offered), but I told him to let me know when he comes across an incentive that will suit me best. It was nice to work with someone who knows how to treat customers well. He even asked me how long I was standing around. He knew that was the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I've been to three BMW dealerships and have talked numbers by email with two more. The first place I drove a 128i convertible was not in my state, it was close to where my daughter lives. The sales manager and the sales person were very nice. I told them I was in the market but would probably not buy for a month or more. Their attitude was "no problem". I was concerned about headroom. The CA moved the seat down so I could try it out and I fit easily (unlike in a Lexus 250IS where the CA did not help and I did not fit). Then she offered a test drive - even though she knew I did not live close by (but I do visit my daughter so it was not out of the question for me to buy there and I told her that). She encouraged me to push it and I did, a little. She moved the passenger front seat well forward so my daughter had plenty of room in the back.

The next dealership I looked at on-line and I went there because they had a manual. I thought I saw a 1 but all they found was a 3 but it still told me what I need to know. My son and I looked at their cars on the lot for maybe 5 minutes and then a CA walked up and asked if we were being helped. A short chat later he was getting a 3 and pulling it around for a test drive. Nice guy, pleasant experience, just like the first.

The third experience was similar to the second. We stood around for maybe 5 minutes and then were approached. It was my son, who is 26, and me. We dressed decently, it was Saturday, but not fancy, jean shorts and a polo shirt. The salesmen helped us try out the fit for my son (I had not thought to do that) and we found out that even though he is 6' 4", he can move the seat up on the passengers side front far enough he could then sit in the back. Barely but he can fit. I will buy a 128i instead of a two seater so I can take both my kids in it for a short trip. And again we were offered a test drive without really asking.

I would say the 3 dealerships were all better than the others I've dealt with. I've been involved with the purchase of 7 other new cars. 6 I bought and 1 my late wife bought. Some where much worse, some were similar but none were better.

I sent an email asking for prices to the first three Sunday night. I had prices from 2 by noon the next day. The other guy was out sick and replied Tuesday. I thought they were a little high so I invited two more for prices and they were both lower. One of them I actually stopped at briefly but they had nearly nothing on the lot and nothing I wanted to drive. They didn't wait on me but I didn't stick around long and they seemed to be busy. But in response to an internet request for price (I left them a note at their website), they rapidly gave me a very good price.

I can't really complain about any of them but it will be Friday before I can get there to make sure they don't change the deal. If they don't, I will enter an order, and start the long wait. If they mess around, I will go to the next place which is only a couple hundred dollars higher.

None of these dealers is pushy and all were good experiences, at least so far. I prefer a little more laid back approach to what I've experienced on less expensive vehicles.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Every dealer is different. Some dealers are excellent, others I avoid like the plague. It's an unfortunate fact with BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
grish
Private First Class
Rep

Well, thank you gentleman for all the responses.

I guess it's my luck in addition to the area, where instead of every other car being japanese it's german. (Whenever I turn around there is a 3-series)

Right now I am hoping that the car won't cause me too much trouble and I won't have to spend much time dealing with the BMW service people, except for the included maintenance.

P.S. I asked my sales guy how much would they charge to put the mud flaps on the car.... he quoted me $400.

P.P.S. I am dealing with Life Quality BMW in Brooklyn.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Your poor service may be due to the particular salesman that you talked to.

We got the cold shoulder from a salesman in our local dealer so we went to one in the next state. We went back to the local dealer for a price comparison and talked to a young and very enthusiastic salesman. He couldn't have been nicer or more cooperative.
      05-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Right now I am hoping that the car won't cause me too much trouble and I won't have to spend much time dealing with the BMW service people, except for the included maintenance.
For what it's worth, with the very few trips i've had to the dealership for repairs/maintenance, it's always been a good experience. They typically treat you well (will vary depending on the dealership).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
grish
Private First Class
Rep

I found this interesting information:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333043
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271575

It looks like there are kickbacks to the sales people and the dealership based on the customer survey.

I will be definitely filling this one out to the fullest.

Last edited by grish; 05-21-2009 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #19
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Not normal...

I actually had a terrible experience at the Mazda dealer. Kelly BMW was top-notch all the way, and I believe I just showed up with a scraggly unshaven face whilst wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
      05-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #20
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
There are a great many such stories circling around and I have experienced it myself and I'm closer to 50 and have had it happen while I was dressed for serious business (at work). While it's probably fair to say it can happen at many dealerships, my consistent experience has been that it is worst at BMW. There are always a few good salespeople, but BMW allows a great many of their CAs to act like arrogant jack-asses. They are able to get away with it because - as we all know - the cars are built and engineered well enough to sell themselves. It's great that the cars are that good, but it's a shame that BMW repeatedly earns such a reputation about their dealers.
      05-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

I gotta say I agree...this whole process has sucked...BMW does not make the experience enjoyfull. It should be its fun buying a new car, they make it too much a business!

I find Audi much better for this, most of their staff race cars on the weekend or are just as excited about the cars as you.

BMW really does suck at this, they seem to "try" but don't go the extra mile...BMW NA is going to get letter from me after I take delivery...things won't change until you complain!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #22
MarylanDChris
Rep
Drives: 135i

I totally agree with the OP of this thread, and I find this trend at BMW dealerships fascinating and a bit off. I had the exact same experience throughout 4 to 5 different places, and I am a well-dressed, fairly put together twenty-something pretty clearly “of means.” Perhaps a bit more sales training wouldn’t kill some of these guys (and gals). We’re in a recession (in the States), after all.
Appreciate 0