BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
controlz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible

135i 18" Rear Tyre Replacement

Hey, hoping you guys can help. Had a search for my question specifically but couldn't find anything. Forgive me if I've missed it!

The rear tyres on my 135i need replacing. The car has Bridgestone Potenza REO50A all round, 245/35/18 88y on the rear.

I was hoping you could recommend a good value/ good performance tyre to replace the rears. My last car I replaced the runflats for Toyo T1-R's which made a HUGE difference to the ride and the handling (and were half the price).

What are your thoughts on me putting non run-flats on the rear but keeping the front tyres stock (as still have decent tread). It will also be a significant cost saving as RFT's don't come cheap!!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

I'll probably go with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, when I replace my runflats.
      08-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Short answer, replace all four with non-RFT's.

Full answer, It's strongly recommended to not run mixed RFT and non RFT's because the sidewalls are so different that handling can be quite unpleasant. It's also generally cheaper to get all four non-runflats than just replacing the rears with RFT's.

There are all kinds of good non RFT tires out there, but oddly, the one tire I've had that I absolutely hated is the one the OP mentioned, the Toyo T1-R's were downright awful on my M Coupe and I would strongly recommend searching for a different tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
controlz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Short answer, replace all four with non-RFT's.

Full answer, It's strongly recommended to not run mixed RFT and non RFT's because the sidewalls are so different that handling can be quite unpleasant. It's also generally cheaper to get all four non-runflats than just replacing the rears with RFT's.

There are all kinds of good non RFT tires out there, but oddly, the one tire I've had that I absolutely hated is the one the OP mentioned, the Toyo T1-R's were downright awful on my M Coupe and I would strongly recommend searching for a different tire.
Thanks for the reply. My front tyres have a good 6-months worth of tread on them so it seems a waste to ditch them and won't be cheap for 4 new corners! Think it may be worth just replacing the rears for RFTS then.. Bridgestone the way to go?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlz View Post
Thanks for the reply. My front tyres have a good 6-months worth of tread on them so it seems a waste to ditch them and won't be cheap for 4 new corners! Think it may be worth just replacing the rears for RFTS then.. Bridgestone the way to go?
Matched tires are always going to be better than non-matched. If you can't bring yourself to toss the front RFT's, or simply don't hate them as much as I did, then yeah, stick with the same tire you have on front. General rule of thumb on torquey rwd cars is that you can replace two sets of rears for every front set, so by the time you run the new rears down, your fronts should be shot too. Then you can decide if you want to get good tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Whatever you do, make sure you have a plan if you have a blow-out. I switched out to a set of non-run flat performance tires at about 17,000 miles. Thought it was a good idea until.....
My nightmare -- blow out (flat) 2 hours from my home on New Years Eve (Dec 31). Was instantly on the rim and could not drive even 10 feet. A "kit" is not going to help you if you have a major failure. Was a nightmare. BMW Assist was great, but all they can do is tow you to a dealer. That's it.

If this is your "second car" or a "weekend toy", it's a great idea to switch out to a less expensive and better performing non-RF. But....if this is your daily driver, you might want to re-think it.
Appreciate 0