BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Ultra High Performance All Season

I will need new tires reasonably soon for my 128i convertible with sport package. I am thinking of getting a Ultra High Performance All Season instead of a Maximum Performance Summer tire. Something like a Continental Extreme Contact DWS instead of a Hankook Ventus V12 - for instance. The cost is a little higher for the Continental but the wear rating is 540 versus 280 for the Hankook. Specifics are different for other tires of both types but the same trend exists, ultra performance all season have higher wear ratings.

Now my question. How much cornering will I be giving up? I only do an occasional autocross and it is for fun, I have no danger of winning. But I would not like it if my cornering performance was noticably worse. I don't really drive the bimmer in bad weather but I see it as a slight advantage to have it capable just in case my SUV was out of service or something.

Comments?

Jim
      08-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Great all around tire but I wouldn't recommend driving above 7/10 on these tires. Side wall is a bit soft although I heard the newer versions have stiffer walls. I have an extra set of wheels for tracking and the DWS for every day all season street use
      08-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I've put about 11,000 miles on the DWS tires on my ZSP '08 128i. Although I don't believe cornering traction is any less than the OEM Goodyear NCT5 (a summer touring, not performance tire), the initial turn in feel is a bit mushier. So although I don't autocross, I do tend to bump the pressures up about 3 psi when heading for the mountains. This helps considerably.

Other than that, the tires are great and the price was exceptional - I managed to get 4 tires installed & balanced for $600 out the door (with a BMWCCA discount) from a local tire shop. My original choice, replacing only the two worn rear Goodyears, would have been $700 at the time.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

try kumho asx. ive even had them on the track and autocross and was pretty impressed. not the best in snow, but still manageable in moderate amounts of snow.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
How often to you drive the car in bad weather conditions? If so, how bad? The Hankook V12's actually do very well in wet traction and I have not had any problems hydroplaning.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      08-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
How often to you drive the car in bad weather conditions? If so, how bad? The Hankook V12's actually do very well in wet traction and I have not had any problems hydroplaning.

-Charles@VMRWheels
i agree... V12s are awesome in the puddling wet! it sounds like the OP is looking for some snow functionality though?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It snows where I live about once every 5 years. I'd like to be able to drive in it if I needed to but I have another vehicle better suited to snow (a 2WD SUV with all seasons). I thought about taking the bimmer out last time it snowed but got scared of the possibilit of somebody else sliding into me.

My main reason for the all seasons is the tread wear rating, not the all weather performance. I haven't tried it but my theory is that a driver familiar with snow (this is the first place I've lived that doesn't get major storms).

Jim
      08-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It snows where I live about once every 5 years. I'd like to be able to drive in it if I needed to but I have another vehicle better suited to snow (a 2WD SUV with all seasons). I thought about taking the bimmer out last time it snowed but got scared of the possibilit of somebody else sliding into me.

My main reason for the all seasons is the tread wear rating, not the all weather performance. I haven't tried it but my theory is that a driver familiar with snow (this is the first place I've lived that doesn't get major storms).

Jim
Remember that UTQG ratings are manufacturer dependent, so you can't compare across brands at all, and even within brands, they're really not a standard of anything meaningful, just a vague guideline. If you want good wear, consider the Michelin PSS, which has a 30k mile warranty for the front, and either the same for the rear if you don't have staggered wheels and can rotate, or 15k if you do have staggered wheels.

I run the older PS2 tires and have consistently gotten 25k out of the rears on my tracked and hard driven M Coupe and the PSS is supposed to have at least 10% better wear. The 135i has Michelin Sport A/S Plus on it, and they have a 45k/22.5k warranty but no where any where near PSS or PS2 levels of grip. They're only on the car because I need something to drive in the snow and with no limited slip, the 135i is a dog at the track anyway.

Since you have a foul weather car, I'd strongly recommend getting summer only tires for your fun car.
Appreciate 0