BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Mishikwest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i

Fog light replacement

I did a reasonable forum search and couldn't locate how to change the fog light bulbs on an e82. The little hatch in the wheel well doesn't really get access to the back of the fog lamp.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 05:03 AM   #2
Cording
Rep
Drives: BMW 123D

You can do it via the gap in the wheel well, you will have to remove the bottom 3 clips of the arch liner, turn the wheel so you have room and try and force it out of the way to slide your hand it, but it is pretty tricky and you will scrap your arm.

Alternatively, the easiest way is to just take off the front bumper. It's far easier than it sounds. To do that:

Remove the 3 screws from the arch liner on both sides of the car. There is one in the bottom, the middle and near the top. When I did it I just took out any screws that looked like they might hold it on, ended up taking out 5 but it wasn't necessary.

Remove all of the screw/bolts from the bottom of the bumper. If I remember correctly they're either 6mm or 8mm for a socket to remove them, around 10 - 12? You really can't mess that part up.

Once you've remove all of those, remove the weather strip and screws covering the bumper in the engine bay.

When that is done all you have to do is pry the corners of the bumper from the side wing. It feels like it will snap and it isn't a pleasant experience but it is pretty easy.

I wrapped a flathead in a cloth and slid it in the gap and just pried it free gently.

Bumper then just pulls clean off, reverse to refit.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

^solid information