BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Food for thought: 135i Coupe (N54, dual clutch) conversion to 1 M Coupe

Hello guys
I do not exactly own a 1 series YET, but my company car is. I saw the new 1 M Coupe and honestly saying that I am in love with it would be a mild understatement of my feelings. I cannot believe that they've made the car as beautiful and amazing as it is.

To get to the point. My only disappointment comes from the fact that the car will only come in manual gearbox. Although for most people it might not be an issue, I do love BMW's 7 speed dual clutch gearbox on the 135i and the 335i. It is flawless (my personal opinion). SO, ever since I saw the 1 M Coupe I have been considering, at some distant point in the future (no time for it now), getting a second hand 135i with the N54 engine and dual clutch (I am not sure but I reckon the new ones feature the N55, and if currently not, the new generation will for sure) and converting it, in and out, to the 1 M Coupe looks.

Just thinking about it I get extatic. :happy anim:

All things considered (hopefully all things) it should go something like this: (although some of the modifications should be in other categories)

1. Front and rear bumpers and fenders - In this case... just front and rear bumper will not do the trick since the fenders are made wider so all of this must come be done at the same time, and this also includes the side skirts

2. Suspension - I am guessing the suspension would be very different on the 1 M Coupe so this will have to be changed as well. Given that the chassis is the same as the 135i Coupe it should not be an issue unless the new suspension requires some electronics if its adaptive which will require some thought but I do believe it is doable.

3. Seats - I am not sure what would be difference between the 1 M Coupe seats and the M Sports Package seats, BUT if there is a difference, these will have to be replaced as well, if only to get the M logo on them.

4. Engine - As this would be the same engine as on the 335i, and there are a number of companies offering and ECU flash (leaning towards the ESS flash stage 1 or stage 2), getting it over 400bhp will not be an issue at all. It will be a question of deciding whether you want to push it to the limit or leave some breathing space. I understand the car will not have the MDM mode, but I guess it is just and upgraded version of the DTC that every new BMW has, I will have to live with it. Also the 1 M Coupe steering wheel will not be an option since it features some buttons that probably require the M electronics and programming and will not be operational and also does not feature the shifter paddles which are a very important part of the dual clutch experience.

5. Exhaust - If I am to get it looking like the 1 M Coupe a dual exhaust conversion will be necessary. Even if only a cosmetic one, meaning the second muffler will be splitting from the first one, it will have to be done. I will have to look into the possibility of doing a proper X-pipe split for a dual exhaust, but all in good time.

6. Wheels - Given that the car will have the 1 M Coupe fenders, opting for the 19 inch M wheels will not be an issue. I reckon they will be a perfect fit.

I guess some people will say that this conversion would be insane and costly if done purely for the purpose of having a 1 M Coupe with a dual clutch, BUT it would be worth it to me.

I would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Last edited by Arxangel; 01-31-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Going to need the driveshaft and rear diff (LSD) as well, not sure if the axels are the same either. Probably be cheaper to buy an M3 with the DCT when all is said and done.

Not sure where you're buying a 135i with an N54 and a DCT either, the DCT wasn't offered until it switched to the N55. As far as I know, the only vehicles available with the N54 and a DCT are the Z4is and the 335is, but there may be others.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Going to need the driveshaft and rear diff (LSD) as well, not sure if the axels are the same either. Probably be cheaper to buy an M3 with the DCT when all is said and done.

Not sure where you're buying a 135i with an N54 and a DCT either, the DCT wasn't offered until it switched to the N55. As far as I know, the only vehicles available with the N54 and a DCT are the Z4is and the 335is, but there may be others.
Interesting, well at least here in Europe all of the BMWs that I have driven, and that would be pretty much every model and every engine since at least 2005 have the DTC button. Hold it down for 1 sec to turn DTC on, hold it down for 3 secs to turn DSC completely off.

Yeah, I forgot the M differential, that would be a nice addition to the 135i, but I will have to check with the dealership on compatibility.

At the end of the day, I would gladly throw away a perfectly good M3 for the 1 M Coupe. Cost is not an issue, and I have set my mind on that particular project. Just bare with my craziness.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Isn't the 1M actually built on a shortened M3 Chassis?? Would buying an 1M and swapping the tranny (just sayin) be easier?? Then again MT is what this car is made for....
      02-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Isn't the 1M actually built on a shortened M3 Chassis?? Would buying an 1M and swapping the tranny (just sayin) be easier?? Then again MT is what this car is made for....
Well, in technical perspective, swapping the gearbox might not be that easy. It will require a lot of fiddling with electronics and probably some structural modifications in order to fit it. I am not sure I am willing to make a swap like that.

Keep in mind that if I ever manage to do this conversion, I AM NEVER SELLING THIS CAR. So from this point of view, the cost of the conversion is not really that big of an issue, its the result.

Guys, stop thinking practically... start thinking about the essence of this conversion.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
135i with N54 and DCT were available in 2010 in other parts of the world.
What markets got it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
Interesting, well at least here in Europe all of the BMWs that I have driven, and that would be pretty much every model and every engine since at least 2005 have the DTC button. Hold it down for 1 sec to turn DTC on, hold it down for 3 secs to turn DSC completely off.
I'm not sure what brought DTC up, DCT is the dual clutch transmission or as it's also known, the DKG (Doppel-Kupplungs-Getriebe).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
turning a 1 series into an M car is fail
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
What markets got it?

I'm not sure what brought DTC up, DCT is the dual clutch transmission or as it's also known, the DKG (Doppel-Kupplungs-Getriebe).
Well, for one, here in Bulgaria we got it. I do not think it would be any different in the rest of Europe. I am talking about the Dynamic Traction Control (i.e. DTC) not the gearbox. The 1 M Coupe has something like M Drive Mode (i.e. MDM, the button can be clearly seen in the brochure on the dashboard, it replaces the DTC button). Anyway, I can live with not having the MDM.

I also forgot to add the tail lights. They are a thing of beauty.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
turning a 1 series into an M car is fail
I don't think so. Many people buy the standard 1 series and opt in for the M bumpers, and do exhaust conversions. What is the difference here?!!!! You just get an already amazing car - 135i Coupe, and turn it into an even more amazing car - 1 M Coupe. Same logic applies. It depends on how far is one willing to go with modifications. In this case I would like to match the 1 M Coupe's performance, hence the suspension replacement. The dual clutch gearbox will only contribute to that end.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Lol.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well, for one, here in Bulgaria we got it. I do not think it would be any different in the rest of Europe. I am talking about the Dynamic Traction Control (i.e. DTC) not the gearbox. The 1 M Coupe has something like M Drive Mode (i.e. MDM, the button can be clearly seen in the brochure on the dashboard, it replaces the DTC button). Anyway, I can live with not having the MDM.

I also forgot to add the tail lights. They are a thing of beauty.
I'm not talking about DTC, I'm talking about the 7 speed dual clutch transmission (DCT).

What markets got a 135i with the N54 and the 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission, which is what you intend to convert into this wannabe 1 Series M Coupe?

As far as I know, up until Feb. 2010 every 135i out of Leipzig came with an N54 and a 6MT or a 6 speed auto. They then switched to the N55 with the option of a 6MT or the 7 speed dual clutch transmission.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
I'm not talking about DTC, I'm talking about the 7 speed dual clutch transmission (DCT).

What markets got a 135i with the N54 and the 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission, which is what you intend to convert into this wannabe 1 Series M Coupe?

As far as I know, up until Feb. 2010 every 135i out of Leipzig came with an N54 and a 6MT or a 6 speed auto. They then switched to the N55 with the option of a 6MT or the 7 speed dual clutch transmission.
I am glad we lifted the mist around the DTC DCT mix up. I guess we were talking about different things.
Here in Europe, the 135i comes with the DCT, not sure since when though. Will have to check on that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Well, in technical perspective, swapping the gearbox might not be that easy. It will require a lot of fiddling with electronics and probably some structural modifications in order to fit it. I am not sure I am willing to make a swap like that.

Keep in mind that if I ever manage to do this conversion, I AM NEVER SELLING THIS CAR. So from this point of view, the cost of the conversion is not really that big of an issue, its the result.

Guys, stop thinking practically... start thinking about the essence of this conversion.
The bolded statement caught my attention. If you do this your NEVER selling the car? Never is a long time, how can you be so sure that 5, 10, 15 years down the road you won't hate the car or wish you hadn't dumped so much money into it.

Quote:
I don't think so. Many people buy the standard 1 series and opt in for the M bumpers, and do exhaust conversions. What is the difference here?!!!! [B}You just get an already amazing car - 135i Coupe, and turn it into an even more amazing car - 1 M Coupe[/B]. Same logic applies. It depends on how far is one willing to go with modifications. In this case I would like to match the 1 M Coupe's performance, hence the suspension replacement. The dual clutch gearbox will only contribute to that end.
You won't be turning it into a 1 M Coupe, it will just be a modified 135 that resembles a M. Yes I know I'm pointing out the obvious.

I'm sure you could get the DCT to mount a n54 135, with enough money anything is possible. Do you really hate the n55 so much? So you won't have a twin turbo motor like the 1m (or like the z4 35is) but you will have invested so much money at this point that I'd guess you could of gotten plenty of power out of the n55. Vishnu is doing some impressive things with the n55 motors, and i expect there will be much more to come.

I'm not going to give my personal opinion as to your plan because hey, its your car your money. Just wanted to point out a couple things that you may want to consider before taking such a big financial plunge. More power to you and if you go ahead with your plan take a lot of pictures and document the entire process.

and +100000000 on the tailights... the LCI headlights and taillights look drop dead gorgeous IMO, especially the tails. Ok so I guess I did throw my opinion in.

Just keep in mind there will always be something bigger and better down the road and the 1m won't be the be all end all car that some are making it out to be.... although it is extremely impressive.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #14
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I am glad we lifted the mist around the DTC DCT mix up. I guess we were talking about different things.
Here in Europe, the 135i comes with the DCT, not sure since when though. Will have to check on that.
Lol, I was almost convinced you were taking the piss when you said "We have DTC, just press the button on the dash...". I was tearing my hair out thinking "is this guy for real? He asked about DCT (dual clutch) and is now talking about DTC???"
haha

But yeah you might want to double check that your 135i that is available in Europe as a DCT (dual clutch) is N54, as I thought all DCTs available on 135i were with the N55 engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyorll View Post
Lol, I was almost convinced you were taking the piss when you said "We have DTC, just press the button on the dash...". I was tearing my hair out thinking "is this guy for real? He asked about DCT (dual clutch) and is now talking about DTC???"
haha

But yeah you might want to double check that your 135i that is available in Europe as a DCT (dual clutch) is N54, as I thought all DCTs available on 135i were with the N55 engine.
Yes, there was a mix up and it was weird for me, I'm guessing it must have been for other people as well.

As it turns out the DCT does only come on the N55 engine, BUT I have been reading and enquiring into that particular engine and even though some people and BMW are saying that they have chosen the N54 for the 1M Coupe because it was the better engine, the N55 might actually turn out to be quite tune capable. The single turbo is actually larger than the turbos of the N54 and the way it operates is quite different as well. After all it might not be that bad if the engine is N55 so long as the car looks good and there is a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

out of sheer curiosity, would the 1m front end bolt to a 135? I would love the front bumper and wider fenders.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
135i with N54 and DCT were available in 2010 in other parts of the world.
Quote:
No, some other markets got N54 with the DCT in 2010.
Where?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Where?
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #19
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
out of sheer curiosity, would the 1m front end bolt to a 135? I would love the front bumper and wider fenders.
Well, if its not a straight bolt on, you should be able to do it with some fiddling. The biggest concern here is that you will have to change all fenders and front and rear bumper since it will look silly if only the front fenders are the wider ones and at the back you have the standard.
Appreciate 0