BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
S@mster
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

N55 conrod bolt failue?

Hi guys,

was wondering if anyone has experienced a conrod bolt failure on their N55 (the bolts that attach the conrod to the crank shaft)? And what do BMW do for this under motorplan?

I was driving home a few nights ago on the freeway, doing around 120km/h in 6th, and my engine went up in smoke with a cloud of oil spewing out f my exhaust, when the tow truck came to pick me up, the broken conrod bolt fell out of the hole in my sump So I'm guessing my engine internals are a mangled mess!

Car is about 8 months old with 7900km on the odometer. I honestly don't want BMW to try and 'fix' my engine, I would expect a complete engine replacement, correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I doubt a dealership would want to even waste the time trying to fix something they could just swap out like that.

Expect at least a Short Block replacement with your old head and accessories. But odds could be good that they'll do a Long Block and send the whole thing back to Munich, because man I don't think I've ever heard of that happening, especially so young.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
S@mster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
I doubt a dealership would want to even waste the time trying to fix something they could just swap out like that.

Expect at least a Short Block replacement with your old head and accessories. But odds could be good that they'll do a Long Block and send the whole thing back to Munich, because man I don't think I've ever heard of that happening, especially so young.
Means a long time without my wheels Thanks for the information though.

Now to try and get the dealership to organise me a courtesy car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW will replace your engine with a new (rebuilt) one. They do not let the dealers repair engines or transmissions anymore. Those days are long gone. Since your car is so new you might be able to get a new replacement car. I don't know how good your lemon laws are. ?

Did your engine have any loud rattles (from the loose connecting rod) before it blew? Sometimes con rod bolts get over stressed on missed downshifts(over rev's) and let go that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
S@mster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
BMW will replace your engine with a new (rebuilt) one. They do not let the dealers repair engines or transmissions anymore. Those days are long gone. Since your car is so new you might be able to get a new replacement car. I don't know how good your lemon laws are. ?

Did your engine have any loud rattles (from the loose connecting rod) before it blew? Sometimes con rod bolts get over stressed on missed downshifts(over rev's) and let go that way.

I'm not totally sure on our lemon-laws either.

It all kind of happened at once, but yes there were loud rattles went the motor went. I didn't have any missed downshits, it happend on a subdued drive home on the free way after about 10 minutes of driving in top gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I remember one other guy with a 1M that also had an engine let go. Also at very low miles. Sh** happens. Thats why there is a warranty. I am sure BMW will take car of you. But keep us updated.
Appreciate 0