BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
CT8282
Banned
Rep
Drives: 123d M Sport

123d M-Sport Coupe - REVIEW SO FAR!!

So I've had my AW 123d M-Sport since tuesday but have already managed to put over 400 miles on her so I thought it was time for my first review.

When it comes to the mechanics of cars and the terminology associated with them I know diddly-squat so this review will based purely on my experience with the vehicle from a non techy perspective.

Firstly a quick breakdown of the vehicle details:

123d M-Sport Coupe
Step auto transmission
Alpine White
18" wheels, style 261M
Sensatec Flashpoint Cloth interior
Comfort Pack

So, onto the review. In a nutshell this car is AWESOME!!

So far I have been following a proper break I routine for the car (I have started another thread with this great break in program) so by no means have I pushed the car anywhere near to what it is capable of doing.

My first point and probably the most obvious thing I noticed when I pulled away from the showroom is the ride. The M-Sport suspension is stunning. The ride is firm and feels incredibly solid but by no means offensive. Yes of course the bumps are slightly more noticeable but the the suspension seems to lap them up really well and just gives so much confidence in the car and it's handling ability. If I had to summarise the vehicle from this point of view I would say SOLID and QUALITY. These 2 words say it all. Bearing in mind I'm running 18's with run flat tyres I don't find the suspension too solid at all so for those unsure about having the M-Sport suspension or not, go for it.
Cornering is tight and precise. Before this car I was driving a VW Passat followed by a Saab 93 for about 4 months. These cars both drove very well, but the 123 puts them to shame from a handling perspective. When you point the steering wheel in any direction at any speed the nose of the car just goes there without arguing back. I was pushing 100mph last night and decided to see how the car would behave with some sudden/quick lane changes and the car is frighteningly responsive. I love the handling and cannot stress this enough.

So what about the interior. I was spoilt with the VW Passat as this was a quality vehicle, well built and very nice inside. The BMW is no exception and I would say better than the VW. The sport seats are superb and can be configured in so many ways to suit the individual. It's fair to say that I agree with those people who say that you really can get the best driving position possible with these seats. I was concerned that compared to the VW I wouldn't enjoy spending long drives in this car as it is more tuned for performance than long distance comfort. WRONG!!! When I collected the car I had a 2.5 hours journey back and loved every second. I was comfortable, relaxed and just thoroughly enjoyed being in the cockpit.
The M- Sport steering wheel is epic. The grip and feel of the materials is comfortable yet confidence inspiring. With regards to cockpit layout, everything is easily at reach of the driver and you don't need to move your body at all to reach the stereo, lighting controls or anything else for that matter. This means you can get on with concentrating on your driving.

So what about the bit you all want to know about? THE ENGINE!!

HOLY COW!!!

This engine packs 204bhp with 400NM of torque!! WTF!! It feels like you have the god of thunder under the hood! I've only depressed the pedal probably 65% of the way down so far and haven't gone over 3500rpm yet but the pull from those 400NM of torque is just amazing. It really doesn't matter what gear or at what rpm you are at, if you put your foot down even slightly the car just pulls, and HARD. It just makes you smile and my foot is desperate to push that throttle down fully, but I must be restrained and follow the break in program!! You can see why I've already done 400 miles since tuesday as I'm desperate to start driving this car hard. The acceleration is hard and very linear right from about 1750rpm right up to 5000rpm. (I know this as I test drove the same car 3 months back and pushed it hard to redline). I just love this engine. Inside the cockpit the engine noise/exhaust note is really really satisfying which was very surprising to me. At idle you can hear that you're in a diesel but once you get moving you would believe you were driving a petrol. I cannot fault this engine at all and when you consider that you can achieve up to 50mpg when driven conservatively it just shows how incredible this engine really is. I LOVE IT.

So what about the extra little bits then. The car looks awesome and the white paint just seems to work so much. I usually hate white cars but love this one. I saw an Audi A5 in white yesterday and it looked gross. Somehow the styling of the 1er coupe just suits the white colour. The rims look sweet and the exhaust looks nice too. It's funny as I keep noticing people looking and watching as I drive past, and the thing that is really satisfying is watching all those 3 series drivers check out my car. You just know they're wishing they had the balls to by the 1er over the 3, but the wife said 'what about the kids, we need a 5 door car', lol.

My only one criticism is the headlights. I didn't get the Xenons (wasn't allowed as this is a company car) so didn't get the Angel Eyes. It might be that I'm just not used to them yet but I don't think the lights are very powerful and I find myself struggling to spot bumps and contours on the road when hitting those dark country lanes. Even on full beam I find myself really having to concentrate which is slightly annoying but I'm sure I'll get used to them soon. Apart from this I can't fault the car at all.

I hope this has given an insight into the 123d. It's not very technical I know, but I wanted to talk about the experience more than anything. This car and this phenominal engine just makes me smile so much and I am totally inspired to get out driving, a feeling I have never had with a car before. So now I'm done writing this I'm off to drive some more!! Bring on the 1000 miles.

THIS CAR IS AWESOME.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Nice review, thanks. So they're selling the 123d in the UK in coupe form eh. I wonder when we'll get that stateside. The only reason I bought a 135i and not the 335d was that they don't sell the latter with a Manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I would have bought an M-sport 123d coupe if they were available in the US.
      10-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
I would trip over myself going to the dealer for a H/B 123d.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Respect your review. However, i wouldn't fall in love with the RFT yet.
Also, why did you go with the Slush box auto? I find that rubbish
Like clarkson would say......"i does not have the proper Manual gear box".
Oh......what would the Queen say
Enjoy the CARRRR!!!
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Love the enthusiasm you have for your new ride

The diesel unit in that pulls hard, is very efficient and is a reliable bugger. You'll have many fun filled miles with it.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Congrats on the new ride mate. I was given a 123d loaner and I was blown away with how much performance that diesel engine packs in. You can really feel the torque and on a roll it just goes... And I'm coming from a 135i Enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
esky
"Bessie"
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d coupe - AW/Terra, M sport

Talking

My AW 123d M-Sport (manual) comes in 25 days. This review just made me itchy!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
CT8282
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esky View Post
My AW 123d M-Sport (manual) comes in 25 days. This review just made me itchy!
You're gonna love it mate!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
esky
"Bessie"
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d coupe - AW/Terra, M sport

Thumbs down

After I get the car I will then only get to drive it for 3 weeks before spending 3 weeks in your country, CT8282. The wife is making me visit the relatives, driving around in a Ford Focus.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
Porta
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 123d Coupe

Nice write up

Probably have to agree with you on many of your points!

Funny, it was just a few hours ago whilst driving back to work I was thinking that the engine sounds much nicer than my last 4 pot diesel!

Whilst it is an incredable achievement for a 4 cyl. diesel its no N54/5

Hope you have purchased some winter wheels

CDV delete, BMWP Spoiler, BMWP Mirror Caps, BMWP Spolier
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
CT8282
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porta View Post
Nice write up

Probably have to agree with you on many of your points!

Funny, it was just a few hours ago whilst driving back to work I was thinking that the engine sounds much nicer than my last 4 pot diesel!

Whilst it is an incredable achievement for a 4 cyl. diesel its no N54/5

Hope you have purchased some winter wheels
No winter wheels! What would you recommend, and what's the implication if I don't??
Appreciate 0