BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #45
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Coincidentally, yesterday I ran my car with the new to me Stage 1 Aggressive tune after taking the car out of storage. I am 99% sure I filled the car with 94 before I put it away but I logged lots of timing intervention. Sport tune showed some also. I ran the fuel tank out and filled it with fresh 94 and now see zero timing intervention in either Aggressive or Sport. That answers your original question about the suitability of Petro-Canada Ultra 94.

Ultra 94 has a RON of 101.5. Stage 1 aggressive requires 93 octane, 98 RON or greater, so the numbers work.

I do see a bit of traction loss rolling on the throttle in 3rd gear (Direzza ZII's), but it is hovering around 0°C here at the moment. The throttle was never intended to be a binary control though, it does need to be modulated - that is what makes a car interesting to drive.

With respect to your comment about stiffness, I have M3 subframe bushings. The car absolutely needs these for handling, and probably for delivering the additional power of a tune (I got the bushings before the tune so I can't say how much better they can handle additional power).

Any timing issues or traction control intervention will reduce the smoothness you perceive. I presume you were testing with DSC fully off? Of course for a DD you will usually leave it on, so if it is always intervening dialing back the tune to Sport probably makes sense.
Ran the Sport LT map for 2 weeks and now back up to the Aggressive LT map. Running 94 octane the whole time but its 50/50 if I get timing intervention and sometimes a little other times 4/6 cylinders are getting it. Seems from a lower rpm like 2-3k the car responses better to the map than 3-4k which is where I like to downshift to all the time. Looking at the logs I first thought that the AFR wasnt responding fast enough to WOT but recently had a 3-4th pull where the AFR was pinned to 11.6-12.2 and I was still getting some timing correction in 2 cylinders. Intake temps are usually around 120-150 at the height of the pulls are these temps too high?

The only other thing I can think of spark plugs. Next step would be some e-tuning with Cobb but ultimately maybe some protuning with local folks.
Appreciate 0