BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Milky Oil Cap & OFHG Seep

Hello all,

Doing a little winter fluid top up and I have noticed that my OFHG has began to seep on my 128i with the N52. Removing Oil cap revealed a little milky residue under the cap. However, coolant appears to not be oily.

Car is located in Toronto, where currently weather ranges from -10c to -15c (~5f) outside. Doesn't help that my apartment ran out of underground parking spaces before I moved in. So the car sits outside overnight.

I know OFHG is on the list to do now, most likely will not be able to do the job until I visit my mother and have access to her garage in a few months.

Is it safe to continue driving the car like this? Or will I run the risk of mixing oil and coolant? or am I just paranoid and is the cold weather be at fault for the milky residue?

Long post, But I would appreciate any words of affirmation please. haha.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:17 PM   #2
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

I'd say yes 100% safe to drive, with all the usual don't hold me accountable if something goes horribly wrong caveats. the milkiness you're seeing in the oil is just water condensate from not getting the engine hot enough. If you can, drive it for an hour or so to get the oil temp to full normal. That will evaporate out any moisture and get rid of the look. The OFHG isn't leaking badly. You could get away with another 50k miles with that little leak based on the average for sale ad engine bay picture.:ROFL:
Appreciate 3
      01-16-2024, 04:18 PM   #3
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-PA View Post
I'd say yes 100% safe to drive, with all the usual don't hold me accountable if something goes horribly wrong caveats. the milkiness you're seeing in the oil is just water condensate from not getting the engine hot enough. If you can, drive it for an hour or so to get the oil temp to full normal. That will evaporate out any moisture and get rid of the look. The OFHG isn't leaking badly. You could get away with another 50k miles with that little leak based on the average for sale ad engine bay picture.:ROFL:
Oh okay, Thank-you very much.

My heart skipped a beat when I opened the oil cap lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 04:48 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Yep, I'll say this is normal (milky oil under cap) when you have shorter drives and the car doesn't completely warm up. Pretty much only happens in the winter.

I won't comment much on the leak, I'm blessed to not have any. Normally I'd shrug it off but there have been incidents with it getting on the belt and causing bigger problems. I think it ends up where the belt slips and causes more damage.
Appreciate 1
nevetstoj144.00
      01-17-2024, 03:21 PM   #5
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Yep, I'll say this is normal (milky oil under cap) when you have shorter drives and the car doesn't completely warm up. Pretty much only happens in the winter.

I won't comment much on the leak, I'm blessed to not have any. Normally I'd shrug it off but there have been incidents with it getting on the belt and causing bigger problems. I think it ends up where the belt slips and causes more damage.
Thanks!

I will keep an eye on the leak, checking if oil is finding its way on the belts.

I understand from some sifting through this forum that the crank can suck in the belt on these engines?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 06:32 PM   #6
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetstoj View Post
Thanks!

I will keep an eye on the leak, checking if oil is finding its way on the belts.

I understand from some sifting through this forum that the crank can suck in the belt on these engines?
Yeah that's correct. I think the belt absorbs the oil over time, swells up and disintegrates into strands and gets mashed behind the crank pulley and through the seal.

That gasket can totally wait for warmer weather to be fixed, but good on you for finding it. It's not too hard to DIY if you're handy, you just need one special socket.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:49 AM   #7
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

Funny from the looks of the bolt, it looks like it was done already. Tough job on N54 but much easier on a 52. Like others have said. Pay close attention to the belt. Do it and the tensioner if it is due or getting wet.
Appreciate 0