E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of buying 330i/325i: How do they compare to Acura TL?

01-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #45
ed328ci
Grumpy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thd13
... I could've gotten a brand new, fully loaded '05 TL minus the A-Spec for $33K; which was about $10K cheaper than what I spent on my 330i...
So funny. Here, the TL A-Spec is more expensive than a 325i with Sport and Premium packages, and is the same price as a base 330i!

As others stated:
Reliablity - most likely TL
Safety - TL
Acceleration -TL though not be noticable amount in the real world
Handling - 325i (no torque steer!)
Interior room - TL
Nav - TL
External appearance - 325i
Resale - Similar, though the TL will probably have a slight edge.

It all depends on what's important to you.

BTW, I think that iDrive isn't terrible, it just isn't good.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #46
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

If someone has to ask the difference between the two, then they should get the Acura. The word "clueless" comes to mind.

For the record, The Acura TL is a Honda Accord in a Tuxedo, FWD and all. I wouldn't even consider a FWD car unless that car will be used as a beater. FWD Sucks, Why do you think that everyone is moving back to RWD? The main benefit of FWD exists in the manufacturing. It's cheaper to build FWD cars. If you want a further explanation on why FWD sucks, I'll post the article for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #47
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

We made a decision to go with the 325i over a TL, we owned an Acura for 5 years and 183kmi. Well we haven't let go of the CL-S yet, so I shouldn't speak in past tense. Anyway, we were ready for a change, and since the e90 is a newer design, it was more appealing. Yes, it feels more rewarding to drive, but that doesn't matter much to my wife. The thing that sealed the deal for her was that it was easier to park than the Acura, owing to its smaller size and shorter turn radius. The e90 is quieter than a TL on the highway, but the ride may feel stiffer due to the runflats. I don't know this for a fact but the Acura may have stiffer springs than the e90.

One advantage for FWD is that it's free of the driveshaft hump, freeing up more room for rear passengers, if that's important to you.

If you don't need a lot of speed out of your car, you might be just as happy with a TSX. While the auto makes it a real dog, it is nicely equipped for a whole lot less than a TL, with nearly as much room. (it's only 3 inches shorter than a TL)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #48
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The TL looks nice and I have test driven one before I even considered the E90. But without going into details I just wasn't impressed with it. When I went to BMW and test drove the a 2006 325i it was then I really understood what people mean when they say BMW is a drivers car. Even if the BMW is a few dollars more I think its worth it. An Acura will never be a BMW.
      01-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #49
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i (very soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Lane change and skidpad numbers does not a race make. Every comparo I've read shows the Bimmer faster around a track than the TL, G35, etc.
That's because in the past, the TL had inferior skidpad/lanechange and even older ones had poor acceleration. However, the latest incarnation has faster acceleration, better skidpad performance, and faster lane-change. It's in C&D 10/05, as cited previously.

Quote:
Lane change is just that--changing from one lane to another, not taking a corner. Front wheel drive is not at a disadvantage in that manouver.
But it does give an idea of how a car would perform with an abrupt maneuver, and the new TL handles better in this situation.

Quote:
Skidpad numbers only tell you how many G's it takes to break the tires loose, but tells you nothing about what the car does once the tires are loose.
Skidpad tells you how fast you can take a turn while maintaining control - in this case, the TL can take a sharper turn faster. Furthermore, we all know what happens with a FWD (the TL) loses traction - you have a little understeer and your turn radius widens....but when a RWD car loses traction, you have oversteer, which can lead to spinout and a disastrous situation.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really like the TL, IS350, C230, and G35. I would not be at all displeased to own one (in fact I do also own a C230).
And I bought a 325i myself...I'm just curious as to why people chose the 3.

Quote:
There are so many variables like repair bills, how long you keep it, etc. that there is no way to make it a sure-fire fact, but as far as cost of ownership, given the lower resale value of Accura versus BMW, The 325i may actually not cost you more.
Somehow I doubt that. TL resale value may be less, but the starting price is $5k-10k less to begin with!! Furthermore, the TL is extremely reliable compared to the BMW (which is good, but not excellent)...a repair or two can already set you back another several thousand.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #50
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellygas

Skidpad tells you how fast you can take a turn while maintaining control - in this case, the TL can take a sharper turn faster. Furthermore, we all know what happens with a FWD (the TL) loses traction - you have a little understeer and your turn radius widens....but when a RWD car loses traction, you have oversteer, which can lead to spinout and a disastrous situation.

only if the rear wheels lose traction before the fronts, which is not what will happen on ANY stock car (especially with traction control ON)

most rear wheel drive cars push just like FWD cars do, but they are more neutral than FWD in general.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #51
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
We should not argue over this subject. Let the driver try both cars (e90 and TL) and make his/her own decision. You will see why they call "BMW: the ultimate driving machine".
BTW, since I bought my bimmer, I spend more time on my car: driving around, washing, checking e90post and researching for new mod parts. Never happen to me before with my Accords. One more thing, with this baby, cute girls start hitting on me more...Don't you think that's nice?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #52
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G
You would not go wrong going with either vehicle. Here are the benefits I find comparing the TL and 330i:

1) TL is faster if comparing auto to auto/manual to manual.
2) TL has a better Navigation System if not one of the best in the market today. Voice activated and touch screan and ease of use.
3) TL is more roomier and feels more luxury and has nicer interior. (Guages are glowing blue/red with blue ambient light)
4) TL you will save yourself a good $4000-7000 because the TL comes fully loaded and the 330i you would have to add sport/premium package just to get what the TL comes with.
5) BMW 330i is a more fun vehicle to drive overall.
6) BMW handles better and is a true Sporty Sedan
7) BMW is a more solid built car over the TL.
8) BMW over Acura....Branding!!!!

Those are my honest opinion so take your pick. Let us know what you end up with.
I had an 04 TL for 18 months and now have a 330i sport pkg, etc. (specs below) and have had it for about 9 months. I can tell you from personal experience that the BMW is better in numbers 5,6, 7 above in the quoted post, AND the 330i has a better interior, better quality buttons, has a better navi (contrary to assumptions of a lot of people on here and elsewhere), the 330i has just about the same interior room (check for yourself) aside from about 1 inch of rear leg room, trunk is similar size, etc.

I DO NOT think the TL has a better ride. My SP ride in the 330i with 18 inch 162 rims is better than the TL with all seasons.

FWD handling is also terrible vs. the 330.

TL is not faster. I'd bet in DS auto that the 330i would beat my 04 TL off the line.

TL leather is very thin and cheaply made vs. the 330's leather. TL is DEFINITELY not more luxurious than the 330i with premium, leather, etc. Maybe compared to a 325, it would be, not the 330i.

TL aluminum had tons of scratches. My poplar in the 330i is worlds better.

No auto on lights or wipers in the TL. Once you have these - they are a huge convenience.

No options on the TL. EVERY TL has the same wheels, same HP, etc. Too cookie cutter.

TL's front overhang is like 24 inches. Lots of wasted space to fit that V6 in there.

SERVICE at Acura was TERRIBLE! Service at my BMW dealer has been unbelievable.

4 year maintenance!

Buy the 330i - get it loaded - pay the extra $7,000 - you won't regret it.
      01-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #53
subframe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i TitSil 6mt ZSP, ZPP,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangster
My first two cars were Acuras (an '88 Legend and a '00 TL) and I had planned on getting a G35, an IS, or another TL for my third car, but after test-driving an E90 (a 325i) I was completely sold even though I wasn't even seriously considering buying a BMW and was dead-set on getting another Japanese car.

The E90's Japanese competitors are tempting because they offer more power and more standard options compared to the 325 for about the same price, but there's no comparison in how they drive, look, and feel. There's also no comparison in how you will feel towards the car: Had I not test-driven the E90, I would have been none the wiser and would now be the proud owner of an Infiniti, Lexus, or Acura (probably an Infiniti), but I doubt I would have the same feeling that I have now of really owning and driving something special: I probably would not be meticulously handwashing my car, constantly reading and posting to forums like this, and decorating my garage with framed pictures from my car's catalog like I am now!

I really liked my Acuras, but I love my BMW. I love it, I tell you! I love it! But that's just me... Best of luck with your decision.
I own a 2000 TL and now an '06 325 6mt sport. I agree with this post. I always liked the TL, but I love the 325. I still own the 2000 TL and still use it as a beater. But, it is not even close to the 325. There is just something about the feel of that car that you can't appreciate until you drive it. It is totally awesome.

In fairness, I did test drive an '06 TL. I thought is was much better than my '00 TL. The manual in the '06 TL is very nice. The shifter has short throws and a nice feel, the one area that may be better than the e90. The TL engine is smooth and the accelleration is nice. But, the e90 is just something special. It is hard to stop driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 11:56 PM   #54
WooBah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G
You would not go wrong going with either vehicle. Here are the benefits I find comparing the TL and 330i:

1) TL is faster if comparing auto to auto/manual to manual.
2) TL has a better Navigation System if not one of the best in the market today. Voice activated and touch screan and ease of use.
3) TL is more roomier and feels more luxury and has nicer interior. (Guages are glowing blue/red with blue ambient light)
4) TL you will save yourself a good $4000-7000 because the TL comes fully loaded and the 330i you would have to add sport/premium package just to get what the TL comes with.
5) BMW 330i is a more fun vehicle to drive overall.
6) BMW handles better and is a true Sporty Sedan
7) BMW is a more solid built car over the TL.
8) BMW over Acura....Branding!!!!

Those are my honest opinion so take your pick. Let us know what you end up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Jon
I had an 04 TL for 18 months and now have a 330i sport pkg, etc. (specs below) and have had it for about 9 months. I can tell you from personal experience that the BMW is better in numbers 5,6, 7 above in the quoted post, AND the 330i has a better interior, better quality buttons, has a better navi (contrary to assumptions of a lot of people on here and elsewhere), the 330i has just about the same interior room (check for yourself) aside from about 1 inch of rear leg room, trunk is similar size, etc.

I DO NOT think the TL has a better ride. My SP ride in the 330i with 18 inch 162 rims is better than the TL with all seasons.

FWD handling is also terrible vs. the 330.

TL is not faster. I'd bet in DS auto that the 330i would beat my 04 TL off the line.

TL leather is very thin and cheaply made vs. the 330's leather. TL is DEFINITELY not more luxurious than the 330i with premium, leather, etc. Maybe compared to a 325, it would be, not the 330i.

TL aluminum had tons of scratches. My poplar in the 330i is worlds better.

No auto on lights or wipers in the TL. Once you have these - they are a huge convenience.

No options on the TL. EVERY TL has the same wheels, same HP, etc. Too cookie cutter.

TL's front overhang is like 24 inches. Lots of wasted space to fit that V6 in there.

SERVICE at Acura was TERRIBLE! Service at my BMW dealer has been unbelievable.

4 year maintenance!

Wow! What a great Forum! First, a big thank you to all posters for your help. Second, the professionalism is incredible. No insults, no bashing, no child like responses. I am impressed by the intelligence, civility, and honesty of all posters. I actually got honest opinions on both the TL and 330i, which included pros and cons of both cars.

I posted this same question on a couple of TL Forums, and venom was abundant. There was name calling, bashing, and out and out lies and distortions; not by all posters, but by many.

The above two quotes really give a great indication of the TL and 330i, and they really summarize my feelings about the cars as well. I am leaning toward the 330i, but I still am having trouble with rear seat leg room, and the comfort of the ride on a freeway or around city driving. Again, I have only been able to test drive, and the drive was not very long. So, it is hard for me to get a good feel for the BMW. It is the same for the TL, I can't get a good feel for its comfort level either from a test drive. Thus, I am on the Forums.

This is a lot of money, so I want to be right. So, I would love to hear some additional comments about the following:
-rear seat leg room of the 330i in comparison with the TL for two 6' adults.
-ride comfort (road noise, absorbing bumps) in city driving and freeway driving of 330i
-Navigation system and Bluetooth phone calling/reception for caller and receiver/listener in comparison with TL

I guess I should point out that whatever car I purchase, it is my first sport/luxury sedan. I will be moving up from a 1995 Toyota Camry (it has been a great car, no problems).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #55
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WooBah
Wow! What a great Forum! First, a big thank you to all posters for your help. Second, the professionalism is incredible. No insults, no bashing, no child like responses. I am impressed by the intelligence, civility, and honesty of all posters. I actually got honest opinions on both the TL and 330i, which included pros and cons of both cars.

I posted this same question on a couple of TL Forums, and venom was abundant. There was name calling, bashing, and out and out lies and distortions; not by all posters, but by many.

The above two quotes really give a great indication of the TL and 330i, and they really summarize my feelings about the cars as well. I am leaning toward the 330i, but I still am having trouble with rear seat leg room, and the comfort of the ride on a freeway or around city driving. Again, I have only been able to test drive, and the drive was not very long. So, it is hard for me to get a good feel for the BMW. It is the same for the TL, I can't get a good feel for its comfort level either from a test drive. Thus, I am on the Forums.

This is a lot of money, so I want to be right. So, I would love to hear some additional comments about the following:
-ride comfort (road noise, absorbing bumps) in city driving and freeway driving of 330i
-Navigation system and Bluetooth phone calling/reception for caller and receiver/listener in comparison with TL

I guess I should point out that whatever car I purchase, it is my first sport/luxury sedan. I will be moving up from a 1995 Toyota Camry (it has been a great car, no problems).

Thanks.
I also sat in the back of the 05 TL for a trip of 125 miles on California freeway. I didn't feel as comfortable as in the Lexus ES because Acura actually recalibrated the suspension firmer for TL. It feels the same as the 330i non-sport stock wheels. In the city, BMW is the king. There's no comparision between TL and 330i in the city, not even close to compare.
The 330i leg room is a bit less than the TL, but I would say it will fit the 6' tall guy just fine. My friend was 5'10" and he was okay in the rear, no complaint.
Navigation system with touch screen on TL is awesome. I actually like it more than the idrive which uses the knob and is very distracting.
My 330i bluetooth is flawless with my Rarz V3 and SLVR L7 with all phone book transfered to the car head unit. The sound is clear and clean. I don't know about the TL, but 330i's bluetooth is superior to the Lexus GS300's (no phone book transfered in GS300, only caller ID and you have to dial name from the phone book on the phone, sound's not very good). Not sure you can transfer phone book in TL. Anyone confirms this?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #56
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

What I noticed most about the TL is that almost everything comes standard - two options: w/wo navigation. If you wanted to have everything that the TL has to offer for your 330i, you're looking somewhere around $50K. But then again, you get the BMW badge over Acura, but it's more of a personal preference of what you're looking for. The TL rides smoother and the steering wheel is a lot softer - as opposed to the E90. Interior of the TL with Navigation(easiest on the market to use) is more elegant. But I prefer the exterior look of the E90, except the TL has dual exhausts. The TL is also quieter on the freeway and softer, but if you get the A-SPEC(bodykit, suspension, and bigger wheels and brakes) add on....then the TL will be very close to the E90. Front-wheel drive just doesn't do it for me. Get the 2005 if you want 270hp....otherwise, the 2006 will only give you 258hp.
      01-26-2006, 01:35 AM   #57
D&G
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:

Thanks.

Comfort: TL wins!!! Very comfortable ride. Not too stiff and not too soft. Just right and perfect for long trips. Unlike myself I like the tight stiff ride so I would choose the E90. So it depends if you like it stiff or comfortable.

Rear Seat Room: TL has more Leg room.

Navigation: TL wins. Voice command and touch screen. You can tell it to increase the temperature and you can tell it to where you want to go plus alot more. This really helps when you are driving and cannot play around with the buttons. And very easy to use compare to other navi's in the mkt today. The TL Navi is very smart and works like a computer. Navi is a must have in the TL but not for E90.

Once again it all comes down to your preferences. TL you will get both sporty and luxury together. E90 is a true Sport Sedan!!!! For myself I would choose the E90 just the way the car handles and drives (Best fun car I ever driven so far) even though it is a tad slower than the TL.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 01:46 AM   #58
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
This thread is already pretty long but its been informative and as I was in the same boat 8 or 9 months ago I thought I'd chime in with my experiences.

1) I would honestly and wholeheatedly disagree with any and all statements that the TL interior is nicer or more luxurious feeling than the E90's. The materials in the Acura are nice but the E90 easily tops it in all areas, from plastics to leather and back. Also, a throwback to the "bad interior combos" thread, the TL gives you FAR fewer choices as far as interior color and trim options.

2) It is a fact that the TL is significantly roomier in the backseat, partly in leg room but also, I'd say more noticeably, in width.

3) I see statements saying that there's enough room for 6 footers in the back of the E90 but I am going to have to dispute that claim. I am no taller than 5' 11" but my head, not hair, brushes the headliner when I sit in the back of my own car. It borders on uncomfortable, not that I've ever been there for a long time or while the car was moving. So unless I am very awkwardly proportioned (hope someone would have noticed by now), the backseat of the E90 is not a happy place for 6' and taller passengers for any long periods of time.

4) I highly suggest you take lengthy test drives of both cars. I don't know if you haven't had the time or the dealer hasn't but whichever it is, find a dealer that will allow it and make the time so you can make the best decision for yourself. I drove both cars for several miles. Try hitting up the dealer during your lunch break on a weekday, they are slow and probably won't mind as much on going on a 20-30 minute drive then.

In fact, I'd like to coin a new phrase. "A test drive is worth 1000 forum posts."

5) Speaking of my 30 minute test drive of the TL, it was a solid car with these exceptions:

- Serious torque steer powering out of corners which is a non-issue on the E90
- Good steering but not quite the laser-like precision like the E90
- At high speeds on the highway (around 90mph), particularly around bends, the TL felt a little floaty whereas the BMW feels so ridiculously planted and solid, I feel like I'm doing half the speed.

6) I saw a post actually claiming the TL would have a higher resale than the BMW. That claim is very dubious as BMW continues to rack up award after award, year after year, for having the highest resale value of any marque on the market today. Just check around. The TL also holds its value very well but believe me, the BMW is no chump.

Really the decision comes down to what is your priority, performance,E90, or perhaps you could say price/practicality or other things like preferring the looks of the TL. Honestly I think the practicality argument is a toss-up. For me the fold-down rear seat is way more practical than hauling around 4 or 5 people in comfort regularly. Then again I'm single and 22.

You obviously know which car I ended up going with and even the options I ordered (below). I've had the car for a little over 6 months now with no significant issues. I've taken the car in to be reprogrammed to have auto-locking doors and I'm scheduled to go in to finally fix the ticking in the B-pillar. If those are the only problems I'm going to continue to have, my only other worry is buying tires every 15K miles

I am comfortable with the ride of the 330 with sport package but you better like to feel "connected" if you get it. I do, but others who sit in the car with different priorities have said they might prefer the feel of an MB or Lexus to my car. Again, personal preference is the deciding factor.

Good luck with your decision. I think they're both solid cars. I have a friend who's a TL owner and he's extremely happy with his purchase as well.

Maybe we can make this the definitive E90 vs TL thread and have others ones like these for the other competitors so we don't have to rehash it every time. Plus, there's quality posts here
      01-26-2006, 01:55 AM   #59
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks.
First of all, this IS a great place. The people on here are the best. IMO, e90post.com should get some commissions or something from BMW, because I'm sure they've sold a bunch of e90's just by existing. And as an owner, I absolutely love having this community. I don't know how I'll ever buy another vehicle without this kind of online support. I've said it before on here, I wish I had an e90post for all the important things in my life.

Also, I wanted to mention that I have always like the current TL. I think it is a great looking car and it offers exceptional value.

However, I wanted to make this post to specifically talk about the roominess in the e90. The interior space has become one of my most favorite features about this car. I'm am constantly admiring how spacious it is. Case in point, I am 6 feet tall, and when I set the driver's seat to my optimal position, and the passenger's seat the same way (back/forth, height, and recline), it makes my car just perfect. I can sit in both of the rear passenger seats and be completely comfortable. My shoes (size 11) will snugly fit under the seats in front and my knees will NOT touch the front seats.

My point is this: take some time (I've spent more than 4 or 5 hours in the life of my ownership) to get to know and adjust the seats. Once you do that, I think you'll be very impressed with how roomy our interiors are. I truly believe the e90 can hold 4 full sized American males comfortably if you just take the time to adjust the seats correctly.

Yeah, this is a long post, but I don't think enough has been said about how great the interior, particularly the size, of the e90 is.

For what it's worth, I found this to be the best way for me to adjust the drivers seat (I have manual sport seats):
0) Start with a Baseline position. Lower the height all the way down, rock the seat fully forward, push the seat back far enough so you can easily fall into the seat when getting in, and set the recline at a midway position
1) First, adjust the height. Starting with the seats as far down as possible, adjust the verticle positioning of the seat until there is a snug 3 finger widths of space between the top of your head and the ceiling of the car.
2) Next, adjust the pitch of the seat. The seats have a lever that you can pull to rock the seat like a rocking chair. The longer your legs, the more you'll probably want to "rock" backwards.
3) Next adjust the backward/forward sliding distance of the seat. At 6 feet tall and 35 inch sleeve, the perfect position for me is where my arms are most natural with the steering wheel (which I have set at all the way up and all the way back). At that length, my left hand can reach all the window buttons (at the beginning, you still have to get used to how far down the front window buttons are) and my right hand can reach the gear selector without my back leaving the backrest. Also, at this point, only the most padded and forward protruding part of the sport seats side bolsters is infront of the B-pillar line. In other words, if you looked at my car from a dead on side angle view, the seat backs would be basically completely behind the pillar separating the front and rear compartments.
4) Adjust the recline of the back rest, and you are now good to go!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 02:06 AM   #60
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
3) I see statements saying that there's enough room for 6 footers in the back of the E90 but I am going to have to dispute that claim. I am no taller than 5' 11" but my head, not hair, brushes the headliner when I sit in the back of my own car. It borders on uncomfortable, not that I've ever been there for a long time or while the car was moving. So unless I am very awkwardly proportioned (hope someone would have noticed by now), the backseat of the E90 is not a happy place for 6' and taller passengers for any long periods of time.
Wow, I haven't seen Armen52 post in a long time. Anyways, like my post earlier, I wanted to say that I can sit in the back of my car very comfortably and I'm 6ft. My head does not scrape the top of the car, though I can touch it if I sit up extremely straight.

Also, I'm a big fan of the iDrive for what it's worth. I think the two things I've spent the most time adjusting, playing with, and obsessing about are the seating position of the front seats and the iDrive/Navigation system.

For me iDrive was not fun at all when I first interacted with it, and I played with it for about a good solid half-hour. But you get used to it if you put in the time, and it's not hard to learn its ways, though they are unique. Like the car, but just less intuitively, it will become a natural extention of you and and you'll appreciate your driving experience that much more.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #61
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

my brother who is 6'4 is fine with the E90's backseats. We test drove the C-class and he felt cramped. But with the E90 he has plenty of room. No complaints whatsoever. I dont know how often you're planning to seat 5 adults in the E90 but it's pretty roomy. I was in the same position as you. I test drove the C-class, looked at the TL, and the G35. Im not just saying this because I have an E90 but it came down to the TL or the 330. I just like the E90 overall. I love everything about the car. I remember pulling into the BMW lot. OMG what a sight. If you dont mind spending the extra money, I guarantee you will end up with the bimmer.

"you're gonna like the way you look (in it). I guarantee it"
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 02:11 AM   #62
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
The Acura TL is a great luxury car, but I don't consider it a sports sedan.

Your comparing apples and oranges.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 02:30 AM   #63
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, I guess I stand corrected. If we've got guys that are 6' 4" not complaining about the back seats then I'm sold!

Either I have an unusually long upper body or I sit up VERY straight.
      01-26-2006, 02:49 AM   #64
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Jon

4 year maintenance!

You are soooooo right
I bought a 2005 & loaded extras to $37,000.00 +.
2 days before picking up my car I canceled order for my BMW.
Loaded my 330i for $48,800.00 and have zip regrets!

TL is a very nice car...BMW it will never be!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #65
seevemonka
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325,black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
What I noticed most about the TL is that almost everything comes standard - two options: w/wo navigation. If you wanted to have everything that the TL has to offer for your 330i, you're looking somewhere around $50K. But then again, you get the BMW badge over Acura, but it's more of a personal preference of what you're looking for. The TL rides smoother and the steering wheel is a lot softer - as opposed to the E90. Interior of the TL with Navigation(easiest on the market to use) is more elegant. But I prefer the exterior look of the E90, except the TL has dual exhausts. The TL is also quieter on the freeway and softer, but if you get the A-SPEC(bodykit, suspension, and bigger wheels and brakes) add on....then the TL will be very close to the E90. Front-wheel drive just doesn't do it for me. Get the 2005 if you want 270hp....otherwise, the 2006 will only give you 258hp.

There the same engine.It's just that there is a recalculation on the horsepower.It was an incorrect hp figure before 2006.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #66
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by seevemonka
There the same engine.It's just that there is a recalculation on the horsepower.It was an incorrect hp figure before 2006.
I was just about to say that... They did the same thing with the RL too (was 300, now 290 hp). There was a new regulation put out that required tighter controls over how car manufacturers report horsepower.
Appreciate 0