BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
aleal86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i

high pressure fuel pump fixes problem?

Hey everybody I need you gus responses on this one. Have the cars that had their fuelp pumps changed to the new high pressure fuel pump bmw has been reccomending had problems happen again? Do the new pumps solve the issue or does it still persist? My car is in the dealer related to a engine reduced light and they reprogrammed the car but I think its the fuel pump from what I've been reading on this forum. Just wondering if once this is changed on my car I should be comfortable or will it happen agan? Please comment back. Thanks much!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

yes, unfortunately some people have changed their HPFP 3+ times.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The revised pump has been in use for a while now both as a replacement for warranty work, and as original equipment on cars being built, and it doesn't really seem to have decreased the failure rate. All the '09 cars should have had it from the factory, and the failure rate on them when compared to the '08 cars seems to be about the same, from what we've seen in the polls.

As mentioned above, there have been several members who've had the revised pump fail also.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
SB135
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 135

I have a 05/09 build and have gone through two pumps already. One @ 2500 miles and another two weeks ago @ 6500 miles. After the first pump, I was told by the dealer that I wouldn't have any problems, but still do...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The revised pump has been in use for a while now both as a replacement for warranty work, and as original equipment on cars being built, and it doesn't really seem to have decreased the failure rate. All the '09 cars should have had it from the factory, and the failure rate on them when compared to the '08 cars seems to be about the same, from what we've seen in the polls.

As mentioned above, there have been several members who've had the revised pump fail also.
Thats the feeling I get as well.. Doesn't seem like BMW has gotten a handle on the issue yet, or at least they haven't completely solved it.

The reality is no one really knows the cause. There is speculation that its ethanol in the gas, but I think its just speculation as there is no hard evidence on that.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
135ILess
Rep
Drives: 135I

Sorry for my english..i'm french

it's funny cause i spoke with one of my collegue about the HPFP problem that BMW have with the N54 & he smile at me..and start to laught! and said to me without telling him any of the symptom..long crank starting!!! he said without hesitation...LOL i discover that before working with us he was working for Lotus & before that with Bosch company. They supply many fuel pump for many car brand. he told me that he worked especially on the same problem (Arizona GM facilities ground) for the CTS, the HHR??, Sky & Soltice duo..One of the main problem about this problem is the temp inside the engine bay, specially when the car is stop & re-start after 10 min after a hard session of driving. the temp get so hot under the hood that the fuel start to vaporise inside the pump... now try to pump that..what killing the pump lillte by little it's the starting he said. after that, you have the problem of lubrication, the pump cannot be lubricate properly with fuel vapor. he said to me that BMW will never find a solution about this problem. he said also that he's sure that us here in Canada, there not to much problem about that cause the ambiant temps is colder in any season than you guy from state. Maybe is wrong, maybe not.. i'm just relate is statement and i'm not an expert. After that he show me a lot of picture with elise, Exige and even the Evora that he did all engine test,calibration on. locky baster!!! Just want to share this with you

Last edited by 135ILess; 12-14-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
aleal86
Enlisted Member
Rep

^ so ur sayig that it could be caused by the high temp in the engine and the fuel is evaporating....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
aleal86
Enlisted Member
Rep

as soon as i was done commenting, my service advisor called me and told me that they were done fixing my car... he said they replaced an injector in one of the cylnder because it caused a misfire and thats what caused the engine malfuntion light to go off ...... they said they reprogrammed my car to the new maps from bmw and it should run fine... but i have my doubts. i think ill be back i the dealer pretty soon.....

anyone else have an opinion please share??????
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
135ILess
Rep
Drives: 135I

Maybe not evaporate, cause it a close chamber, but if i remember correctly is statement. the gaz is getting so hot that it's starting to boil and some vapor start to form inside the pump. i know it's a basic explanation. it's the only thing i can said for now, i'll try to talk with him and get more info tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Older carburated vehicles would have problems with the fuel vaporizing in the lines, and it was commonly known as vapor lock.

The problem was pretty much resolved with the higher pressure pumps used in fuel injection systems (about 45PSI compared to 4-6PSI for carburators IIRC), but it's possible that the heat is causing problems with the HPFP. That might help explain why certain drivers have repeated failures, and other people have none. It may simply be a matter of their driving habits, or normal commute.

Maybe frequent trips in traffic cause it to degrade faster than trips on the highway, or the other way around, or maybe it has to do with the frequency of hot starts. The direct injection system certainly poses some engineering challenges, but I haven't heard of GM having issues wih their DI systems at all. It seems to be a European problem (Audis have it as well) but that may be related to a common supplier or design philosophy.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #11
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Fuel cooler anyone?

JUST REDESIGN THE PUMP SO THERE IS NO CAVIATION BMW!!!

Come on.