BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
sonicgrounds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formel1 View Post
you remove the filter/air box, unplug a sensor, plug the JB+ into the sensor, then the harness you just unplugged..reinstall the air box..you're done. At stock settings it's not supposed to throw any codes. I "have heard" of people who run full boost with a solenoid bypass trick and have zero codes...who could that be out there..anyone? You would obviously have to uninstall b/f service as it would be obvious on visual inspection.

Yep, been running 100% with Solenoid for about six months and no codes. Awesome tune in my opinion. Especially if you are planning on keeping the car for at least 4 years. I am very tempted to go for JB3 but with these small turbos no one has run it for more than a couple of years tops. So no one knows what four years of running map 5 will do. PLus JB+ at 100% I can crush just about most cars on the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
subscience
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post

I just might when i get closer to possibly considering this. For now Ive just been kinda tryin to get sum info is all
All tunes have a possibility of being detected. If you're not willing to lose your warranty, you don't want an aftermarket tune. [Edit- Except the BMW Perf. Kit]

08 jet black 135i | sport, 6-mt

Last edited by subscience; 12-29-2009 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #25
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
+1000. If you're not in a position to spend an extra $200-$300 on a tool to let you identify and clear codes in the DME, then your certainly not in a position to pay your local BMW dealer to fix a major engine problem that they blame on your tune.
The BT is only $120 with a JB3 purchase, or $150 with a JB+ purchase.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #26
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Yea, the problem with the BT tool wasnt the price..i never said that at all, its that you NEED a laptop to go with it whilst hooking it up to your car, i do not have one and no i dont know anyone who would just love to hand me theres whenever I feel like tweaking. So its either buy a laptop just for this which seems a bit outside, get the tune and risk the codes and fucking up the warranty, or just keep it stock...Sucks, I am used to a different kinda tune, I had APR stage 2+ on my gti, was dealer installed (APR), they hooked it up, boom, and cruise control usage for the programs. Zero codes, no need for an additional tool, and absolutely guaranteed not to be detected by a dealer while put under stock mode and locked out. Great shit, its a bitch we cant get something like that for the 1er =\ I mean Im not too interested in swapping between this and that program, If im gonna tune the 1er, i want it on a performance tune, not too crazy but def an upgrade from stock and just leave it that way, but still have the ability to switch back to stock if need be. This is supposedly PnP but seems to me to be almost a bit more difficult then necessary.

Really, im buyin the 135 as a car I dont NEED to tune the hell out of to really perform well, the GTI was a fast car stock i suppose but to really get it to the performance I wanted I had to put $6k+ into it which was no good. Was really just looking at the possibility of a tuning program that didnt come with a bunch of extra problems, codes or necessary things to buy in addition. If not, o well. I doubt the car needs it anyhow, already drove the 135 twice, shits a TON better overall then even my modded out GTI, hence the buy =)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #27
rock1t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Yea, the problem with the BT tool wasnt the price..i never said that at all, its that you NEED a laptop to go with it whilst hooking it up to your car, i do not have one and no i dont know anyone who would just love to hand me theres whenever I feel like tweaking. So its either buy a laptop just for this which seems a bit outside, get the tune and risk the codes and fucking up the warranty, or just keep it stock...Sucks, I am used to a different kinda tune, I had APR stage 2+ on my gti, was dealer installed (APR), they hooked it up, boom, and cruise control usage for the programs. Zero codes, no need for an additional tool, and absolutely guaranteed not to be detected by a dealer while put under stock mode and locked out. Great shit, its a bitch we cant get something like that for the 1er =\ I mean Im not too interested in swapping between this and that program, If im gonna tune the 1er, i want it on a performance tune, not too crazy but def an upgrade from stock and just leave it that way, but still have the ability to switch back to stock if need be. This is supposedly PnP but seems to me to be almost a bit more difficult then necessary.

Really, im buyin the 135 as a car I dont NEED to tune the hell out of to really perform well, the GTI was a fast car stock i suppose but to really get it to the performance I wanted I had to put $6k+ into it which was no good. Was really just looking at the possibility of a tuning program that didnt come with a bunch of extra problems, codes or necessary things to buy in addition. If not, o well. I doubt the car needs it anyhow, already drove the 135 twice, shits a TON better overall then even my modded out GTI, hence the buy =)
dude
go to craigslist.com and get a used Thinkpad T40 or something for a couple hundred bucks.... if not, just get the jb3 - and don't take it to the dealer!!!
if not, don't get it period.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

^+100000

If you just bought a BMW I'm sure you can afford a laptop. Hell, I just saw one advertised at Best Buy for $250.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #29
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

I don't think his problem is necessarily the laptop thing. I think he's generally just looking for an easy, safe, tune. That requires no effort/swapping/etc.

Best bet for ya man would be the BMW Performance upgrade. A little more expensive, but actually certified, etc by BMW so no need to jump back in forth
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #30
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Is that specifically hardware or a certified tune as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:35 AM   #31
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

you need bt tool with any tune. so yup get a cheap laptop on craigslist or on forums. and go with package deal with either jb+ or jb3 with the 1 vin bt tool. and you will be set !!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #32
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

You could also go the Dinan software flash route. Dinan matches your BMW warranty so you can let them battle it out with BMW should any issues arise. Only issue is that it will cost you 2-3 grand depending on what stage you want.
      12-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Is that specifically hardware or a certified tune as well?
hardware (intake) and a tune. The gains aren't as substantial...but I haven't seen any dynos...they very well may be underrated.
It's 2 grand, no idea if you can negotiate.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
You could also go the Dinan software flash route. Dinan matches your BMW warranty so you can let them battle it out with BMW should any issues arise. Only issue is that it will cost you 2-3 grand depending on what stage you want.
Damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
hardware (intake) and a tune. The gains aren't as substantial...but I haven't seen any dynos...they very well may be underrated.
It's 2 grand, no idea if you can negotiate.
And Damn!!

..hmm
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #35
lll3575
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #36
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

You could get the DME tune. They say it is undetectable unless they are looking for it.
You can't turn it on and off like JB3 though.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #37
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
You could get the DME tune. They say it is undetectable unless they are looking for it.
You can't turn it on and off like JB3 though.
If you have to take your car in for something other than a HPFP failure they will likely scan the computer and find it. I am friends with my SA and Tech and they told me about the instances where they would have to scan the ECU and hook it up over night so the boys in Germany could look at it. Anything other than HPFP or the common injector and DV issues these cars have require more indepth scanning and they will find it in the DME. Failed turbos or engine damage and your hosed. Too big of a risk for me. That is why I went with the JB3 for my car and why I started selling them. Plus I know terry and he is smart as hell and great at this.
      12-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #38
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

A customer at my tuner shop just had his engine replaced at the dealer to the tune of $20k. It was covered under warranty, as he did not have a tune. HOWEVER - the dealership went into the ECU box and was measuring the length of the wires to determine whether any of the wires had been spliced and/or modified. So *IF* you're going with a piggyback - spring for the plug and play version!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #39
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
A customer at my tuner shop just had his engine replaced at the dealer to the tune of $20k. It was covered under warranty, as he did not have a tune. HOWEVER - the dealership went into the ECU box and was measuring the length of the wires to determine whether any of the wires had been spliced and/or modified. So *IF* you're going with a piggyback - spring for the plug and play version!
Ya it is a risk but even the JB3 Pin out does not require you to cut or splice wires,just unplug them from the plastic keepers and plug them into the JB3 wires. There is still some risk that they could tell if you break a wire end or leave tape residue on the wires. It is possible, but that is the best reason to go for the PnP. it is clean.
      12-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #40
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Is the BT tool pretty easy to use like for someone like me who doesnt recognize all the different codes n shit..like if theres a fault code from my JB3 tune and I plug in the BT, will it automatically bring up any fault code without u having u SEARCH for em or something? I mean, it IS possible for me to get a cheap laptop for this purpose and go with the PnP, as long as its something I can unplug and clear codes easily before going into service. Im not much of a DIYer but if I do any mods on my soon-to-be 1er, i will prob wanna do em all myself. I had a local tune shop do most of my mods i had on my GTI and wow do those labor charges add up
Appreciate 0