BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie135i View Post
the only difference i know of between jb4 and proceede is that the proceede has a 'learning' feature. So it learns what is safe for your car and adjusts the tune accordingly. Is this right?

Also MrBlonde is probably one of the best people to give you advice on this. He not only puts the mods but he's tested them with a dyno (check his thread).

My mate had an afe intake, and its true about it sticking out. So you know, vishnu recommends atleast some type of mods with map2. Eg. afe intake + downpipes. Also if you want to get your car serviced its a pain in the ass to take off/on. What people won't tell you is how hard it is to get the back hose/front hose to sit properly on this. That all said, his normal temps were about 10-15c lower than they are with the stock intake... That says something? Also he said it took longer to warm up with the afe intake than it did with the stock intake.
I just wanted to point out that one key difference you have missed is that the Procede does actually control timing. The JB4 does not (as far as I know JB4 = JB3 + CAN support and features that CAN adds). There is much argument on the effects of this, but I can assure you that it is beneficial and is a major part of our tuning as well as extra features such as launch control etc.

-- Adrian
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #24
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
amazing MrBlonde you are still around

I remember you from the DTM forum

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

What about the Cobb AP with no boltons? On their dyno their 135i made nearly 350whp just from their flash..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

Just stating the obvious here, but Cobb does not currently support any markets outside the USA, and have indicated that their plans are to get all ROMs in the USA supported before moving to other markets. So it is unknown when/if Cobb will support the Australian market that this thread pertains to.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Yep, I'd stick with Vishnu just by the fact that there is local support in Sydney

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #28
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

Don't forget about the RB Turbo upgrade! Its 2899USD plus 235USD shipping. Installation will be around $150 - $400 parts plus labour.

Will report back on labour costs.

I'm hoping for 80-100whp, but this'll depend on the tuning.

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #29
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Installed Procede V4 (waiting for non-beta V5 maps before I can be bothered to update the firmware/maps again). Love how the car drives even with this easy DIY option.

Next to go are the stock wheels/tyres when Brian@EWS gets back to me!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #30
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Why not install the ESS Directflash Stage2 hand flashing device. It dynos at around 360+rwhp with not boltons? It supports the Australian market. A Z4 35i owner in Sydney has bought one.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #31
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
Why not install the ESS Directflash Stage2 hand flashing device. It dynos at around 360+rwhp with not boltons? It supports the Australian market. A Z4 35i owner in Sydney has bought one.
I like the idea of Procede, with V5 maps and autotuning it offers much more flexibilty/safety for further mods in the future. Didn't know much about ESS whereas there was a plethora of info/videos/reviews/dynos for the procede with my car setup and future car setup. Couple of HP here or there is not as important as piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #32
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

The good thing about flash tunes is that it works with your existing DME. Not a piggyback. Also you don't have to remove single bolt or take unexpected chance damaging any components in the sensitive ECU area. I once had experience with a bad MAF sensor on another car and the dealer saw I had damaged/scratched bolts undoing an intake when I put it back to stock.

If you plan on modding greatly then a piggyback is for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

I am not sure which flash it is, but I currently have a customer who is getting his money back on an at home flash (in Australia) because after 3 attempts to flash his DME it keeps failing, so he is unable to flash his car. I am not sure of the exact details (which flash, which DME ROM), but my point is that to assume that an at home flash means trouble free tuning would be a mistake.

I have sold many Procedes, and have never heard of one being refused warranty work or any other issues with BMW.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #34
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Procede FTW!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #35
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I'm going to name my first child, Procede.

Actually I'm not, but I'm sure I could detect the numbskull fanboys nodding in agreement at the idea when they read it. I don't mind healthy debate, but the cheer squad is starting to bug me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #36
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I'm going to name my first child, Procede.

Actually I'm not, but I'm sure I could detect the numbskull fanboys nodding in agreement at the idea when they read it. I don't mind healthy debate, but the cheer squad is starting to bug me.
Fanbois?

Just because it is clearly the best product on the market and everything else is crap doesn't mean we're all fanbois... Especially when there is so much aftermarket support for it in the one city of Australia called Sydney why buy anything else? I mean seriously, a phone call to someone 1000km away is SOOOO much better than one to someone in another country!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #37
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Fanbois?

Just because it is clearly the best product on the market and everything else is crap doesn't mean we're all fanbois... Especially when there is so much aftermarket support for it in the one city of Australia called Sydney why buy anything else? I mean seriously, a phone call to someone 1000km away is SOOOO much better than one to someone in another country!
My reply was to the OP, who lives in Sydney. I'd definitely rather have someone who lives literally 10mins away from me that I can talk to and is able to physically examine my car.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #38
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I'm sure the Procede is a great product and from what I can see, Adrian@Vishnu is more than generous with his time and support on this forum. It's just the screaming masses that bug me when they wave the flag incessantly. Could be I just need more coffee to get over my grumpiness.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #39
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Fanbois?

Adrian is not 1,000 kms away from everyone. I was at his place on the weekend. Saw him two weeks before that.

I see more JuiceBox fanboy behaviour here than PROcede to be honest! Just relax :-)

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #40
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

The fanboyism isn't that pronounced on the Australian section, we're just offering our honest opinions on a product we have used on our own cars. Sure it's gonna be biased but hey, it's a forum.

I think what you're feeling here is BBK taking the piss on PROcede users

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #41
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

GET THE JUICE BANGER 4!!!
YOU WON'T REGRET IT.
It's the Men's Tune, or you can settle for the Boy's tune.

Sorry boyz I had too.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #42
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Adrian is not 1,000 kms away from everyone. I was at his place on the weekend. Saw him two weeks before that.

I see more JuiceBox fanboy behaviour here than PROcede to be honest! Just relax :-)
Like I said, it only helps if you live in Sydney. I know someone who had a procede in Brisbane, couldnt for the life of him get help when something was wrong (gasp, yes something was wrong with the Procede). Yet when I had a question about my JB3 I emailed it and had a reply in less than 10mins from someone from the USA.

Not everything is perfect. Yes I'm taking the piss like Jeef said, mainly because whenever the pros of the Procede are mentioned, there is always mention of the cons of other products. for eg;

I am not sure which flash it is, but I currently have a customer who is getting his money back on an at home flash (in Australia) because after 3 attempts to flash his DME it keeps failing

I just wanted to point out that one key difference you have missed is that the Procede does actually control timing. The JB4 does not

There is nothing wrong with giving pros and cons, but it's the way some are going about it that is bordering on 'faboism'. I'll be honest, 6 months ago everything was pretty fair, but in the last few months it's really becoming apparent because some users have recently bought the Procede the JB3/4 has been getting a bit of a slashing.

So the Procede has autotuning and stops knocking or whatever. I understand that it's a good thing.

If I had the choice of having the safety features, sure I'd choose them. Nobody is denying the Procede is a good product and there are some who are quite fair (MrBlonde for one). But if there are 10,000 procedes in the world, and 10,000 JB's and none of either have had problems running in standard form then is it really an issue?

Fact is, both produce similar power, both don't seem to cause problems, one costs half of the other one and support for anyone not living in Sydney is a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #43
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Very well put BBK.
I agree.
The Burger Motorsport support is second to none.

Also JB4 currently has adaptive PID which is actually 99% the same as the Procede Autotuning. I've been running the autotuning on my JB4 for over 3 weeks now and it's super smooth. The new JB4 also has many new safety fetures compared to the old JB3.

As for 'Knock' most of us guys don't really need to worry about the timing unless your running huge HP. You can quite comfortably view your timing on the oil temp guage with the gauge hijacking mode. Every map has it's set values that you just follow and you'll be ok. I run JB4, DCI, 3" C@tless DP's and heavy race gas and timing is always perfect and stable.

OH and I forgot to ad an extra $600 in your pocket.

DAMN I LOVE MY JB4!

Last edited by JB4-335; 02-10-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #44
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Not bashing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Also JB4 currently has adaptive PID which is actually 99% the same as the Procede Autotuning.
Not even close to Autotuning as it leaves off the table 1/3 of the tuning parameters most tuners use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
As for 'Knock' most of us guys don't really need to worry about the timing unless your running huge HP.
Unless your Mrs fills up on e10, or it's a particularly hot day, or a spark plug starts going south, or a fuel injector starts to not work correctly. At double the stock boost is it really worth the risk?
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0