BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
What to do in NYC

I just responded to a what to do in LA/SanDiego post and it gave me an idea. I was wondering what to do in NYC as i will probably visit it in the next month or so. I will likely be there only 3-4 days. I'm going with the wife, we are pretty young, me early 30's her early 20's (:P) So:

1) What to do?
2) Where to stay?
3) Where to eat? - I have already decided to go to at least one expensive place called Jean-George's. I definitely need a Pizza place as i looooove pizza.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

1.) Everything
2.) Hoboken or Staten Island
3.) Little Italy, China Town, Beef Sandwitches (Central)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Katz Deli is a pretty popular place to go. Ive never been, I was always a 2nd Ave Deli fan.

You know, now that I think about it ive never gone and done any of the touristy things to do in NYC.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

I'm a NY Chef. I highly suggest going to Jean Georges for dinner. They have 2 dining rooms....the Cricket room & the Formal dining room. Be sure to request the formal dining room. You'll need reservations well in advance.

Ive had the fortune to work or apprentice in most of Manhattans highest rated restaurants. Though I've never worked in Jean Georges, Ive dined there multiple times, and it is by far the BEST dining experience in NYC. Just dont forget your wallet.....a fat one.

You could also try:

Per Se - Nouvelle cuisine
Felidia - Italian
Tabla - Indian/Spanish mix
Adour Alain Ducasse - French
Le Bernadin - French/seafood

Late night dining:
Blue Ribbon. They serve food till 4 or 5am. Its the best late night, hot spot in NYC.

Pizza:
The best pizza is Il Fornino in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. A 5 minute cab ride if youre in downtown NYC

check out Timeout New York's website, and see what is going on in the city the week you'll be there.

If its a gorgeous day, you can always rent a car or take the train to long island and check out beaches, historical sites, hamptons (car).

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
For pizza there is also Grimaldi's in the DUMBO (Brooklyn) and John's in Time Square. They are both good if you like thin crispier crust pizza. They are also both touristy style pizza places. Grimaldi's usually has at least an hour wait though (no reservations and no slices!). I like exploring the different regions of food in NYC, because I think thats one thing you don't see everywhere (cuisine from all over the world). If you happen to be a vegetarian (or your wife is), I love Candle 79...its a great restaurant regardless of meat or not, and may be my favorite in the city.

I would recommend not staying in Staten Island or NJ, but thats me. They are both much harder to access Manhattan than say Queens or Brooklyn if you don't want to stay actually in Manhattan. Especially SI since you would have to take a ferry.

There is too much to do to list! and it will really depend on what you like...theatre, shows, museums, nightlife, etc. Rooftop bars and decks are always very fun, and eating/drinking outside in general is great when the weather is good.

Hope that helps a little!

Tim
      06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Consider a hop-on, hop-off double deck bus tour to catch the major touristy sites in a matter of a few hours if you don't feel like driving/paying for cabs/enduring the NYC subway system, (which is an experience worth trying out!)
      06-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks i will probably take some type of double decker tour bus which i usually laugh at here in L.A. Also i will try those pizza places..my plan is to have pizza for lunch every day haha...and for Dinner ill try to hit up some of those places Anton suggested as he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. For entertainment im considering definitely the Met and maybe a show..along with checking out the famous 5 buroughs...which reminds me...where do they keep the Beastie Boys? i wanna go visit them lol
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
How much money do you want to spend? There are some fantastic restaurants in NYC of every conceivable cuisine. If you want to really plan things get a Zaggat restaurant guide. For things to do you have Broadway, museums, shopping, clubs. If you're lucky and the weather is nice New York has some of the best streets in the world to wander around on a warm evening. The Village, Soho, Union Square. I would recommend you get a hotel near Union Squre because it's more or less midway between midtown and downtown and you can get a subway there to anywhere. Just don't bring the 1 - you won't need it.
      06-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Im gonna throw this one out there.

My sister tends bar at a place called Ryan's Daughter on 82th between first and second ave.

Ask for Kim!

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
leftyone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135 convertible

Best way to see NY is walking. Pick an avenue, say 7th, and start at say 23rd st, and walk up to maybe 57th st. You'll get a great flavor of what the city is really like.
Enjoy your stay.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Im gonna throw this one out there.

My sister tends bar at a place called Ryan's Daughter on 82th between first and second ave.

Ask for Kim!
Is she hot?

You fell into that one man.

These all sound like good ideas for you. Trust me though, do not stay in Staten Island.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How about staying in Brooklyn? We will be flying there.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
How about staying in Brooklyn? We will be flying there.
Brooklyn is iffy. It's all about what part of it that you stay in. Ie avoid bedford styverson at all costs

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
All of the airports are in Queens, but probably JFK? That is in Jamaica...not an area I would stay in. Brooklyn is great, but as mentioned just be careful where you stay. Most nice areas are only a few blocks away from the "hood," and there aren't many hotels there either. During the day nowhere is that bad though IMO, I've walked through BedStuy, Brownsville, Fort Greene and drive my BMW through East New York on a regular basis, and I'm still alive. Brooklyn heights and Park Slope are beautiful though, and probably some of my favorite areas in the city. Queens has a few hotels, but mostly modest. I would recommend Manhattan if you can swallow the higher cost. Avoid downtown, because its mostly dead after dark, but is still a short subway ride away from anywhere else. Don't let the subway scare you, its not so bad, and its a great way to get around...but just be prepared to possibly see something "abnormal."

I agree with the walking suggestions. That is the best way to see a lot of NY. Soho and 5th, Madison are shopping areas. Greenwhich villiage and Chelsea are fun areas. You really can't go wrong.
      06-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
The Garage on 7th Ave South is a good place to get good food and be entertained.
http://www.garagerest.com/

The Gingerman on 36th in between 5th and Madison is the best place to order a flight of beers and hot dogs.
http://www.gingerman-ny.com/

Knickerbockers is a great steakhouse if you're too lazy to go to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn
http://www.knickerbockerbarandgrill.com/home.html

And like its been mentioned several times above, don't stay on Staten Island.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Walk around and take the subway whenever possible. It's not scary and is very efficient. I've been working in NY for 7 years and still enjoy doing touristy stuff. If you like museums I would check out the Met. You could blow a whole day in there. Stay away from Times Square. It's nothing but hayseeds and there is nothing there worth seeing IMHO.

Pizza - I LOVE Little Italy pizza (it's called "Little Italy"). There is one on 45th btw 5th & 6th and another on 43 btw 5th and Vanderbilt.

A Fancy restaurant is just a fancy restaurant. The food is good but the service is snooty which typically sucks the fun out of eating out. I try to aim for unique dining experiences and most of my favorites have been the great NY steak houses. Sparks is my favorite but Peter Lugers (Brooklyn - cash only) is also great and I was pleasantly surprised with Smith & Wolensky. Service is AMAZING and very helpful and down to earth. They're professionals.

One of my favorite places in the summer is El Rio Grande on 3rd between 37th and 38th (I think). My office is on Bryant Park so it's very close by and is typically our go-to place for drinks. They also have the strongest margaritas in the city (apparently). I had 5 one night and couldn't find Grand Central (I know midtown like the back of my hand).

I can add more if you have any more questions or ideas.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
The Gingerman on 36th in between 5th and Madison is the best place to order a flight of beers and hot dogs.
http://www.gingerman-ny.com/
Ginger Man is a great place. There is one in my city as well and the manager lives in my complex. I love that place! It's beer heaven! The one in Greenwich doesn't have the beer wall so I never go but the one in South Norwalk is excellent.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post

Knickerbockers is a great steakhouse if you're too lazy to go to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn
http://www.knickerbockerbarandgrill.com/home.html

And like its been mentioned several times above, don't stay on Staten Island.
Ive eaten in Peter Lugers...it was ok. But it was very overpriced.

I know a very good greek place in Queens if youre interested.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ive eaten in Peter Lugers...it was ok. But it was very overpriced.
Overpriced, a pain to get to, doesn't take credit cards, and slice your steak for you. I'd much prefer the Old Homestead in the meat packing district. The original John's in the Village has the best pizza, imho (well, Lisa's here in beautiful Westwood is the absolute best, but wouldn't be worth the trip for you). If you like Mexican, Agave on 7th is amazing. Great margaritas and guacamole. Personally, I don't think that Felidia is worth it; Becco has a more interesting menu (good sampler pasta option) if you have to go to a Lidia restaurant. Go to Little Italy before it's finally swallowed by Chinatown (and get dim sum in Chinatown while you're at it). Try Aquavit if you're interested in scandanavian, good stuff. Oh, and you HAVE to try the Oyster Bar in Grand Central - seriously, it's a hidden gem and a great time.

Just go to Travelocity, hotels, priceline - wherever you're comfortable with, and do manhattan. You're on vacation, commuting in would feel like work, and not be worth the possible teeny savings.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks EVERYONE so far ...i guess i will try to get a reasonable hotel in manhattan before venturing elsewhere..also i don't eat meat just FYI...except fishes (that aren't BP oil saturated)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Oh, and you HAVE to try the Oyster Bar in Grand Central - seriously, it's a hidden gem and a great time
Agreed, I've gotten lunch there on my way home from school on a number of occasions. There is a cool architectural feature of Grand Central right outside of the Oyster Bar that you have to check out if you go.
http://www.localoaf.org/2006/12/30/g...oustic-wonder/

You should also check out The Campbell Apartment in Grand Central. Its a neat bar but you have to dress the part to get in.
http://www.hospitalityholdings.com/

Last edited by tcd223; 06-10-2010 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #22
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Brokenvert, Im Greek. What restaurant are you talking about?

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0