BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
ELSD and drifting

Hey everyone, we're finally getting good old Oregon rain and I want to go out one of these nights to an empty parking lot and practice doing some skids. However I'm curious as to how the eLSD effects the car. From what I understand, the eLSD uses the rear brakes to try and transfer from wheel to wheel. So will drifting quickly eat through my rear brake pads? Will the eLSD make drifting more enjoyable than an ordinary open diff or is it not even noticeable? My main concern however are the brake pads. I don't want to have to buy new brakes after 20 minutes of fun lol
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Hey everyone, we're finally getting good old Oregon rain and I want to go out one of these nights to an empty parking lot and practice doing some skids. However I'm curious as to how the eLSD effects the car. From what I understand, the eLSD uses the rear brakes to try and transfer from wheel to wheel. So will drifting quickly eat through my rear brake pads? Will the eLSD make drifting more enjoyable than an ordinary open diff or is it not even noticeable? My main concern however are the brake pads. I don't want to have to buy new brakes after 20 minutes of fun lol
Usually, you will get at least 25 minutes of fun before this happens.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I got about 50 minutes out of a brand new set of cool carbons.
But it was a blast.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sounds like it's not going to be worth it. What a shame.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Can you code this out of the DME? Or is it impossible? Not sure how people would make a 1er into a drift car then.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
Can you code this out of the DME? Or is it impossible? Not sure how people would make a 1er into a drift car then.
Quote:
A real LSD
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Sounds like it's not going to be worth it. What a shame.
lol, it's probably the most fun you can have in an RWD car like this.

I'd be more concerned about tires than brake pads, tho.

I can't tell a difference between a normal diff and this bullshit e-lsd thing (comparing an e90 and e82). Maybe just a bit in the snow, I found it to be more responsive for the lack of better word. Certainly, it does not get rid of the sad one-wheel wonder while leaving a junction in DTC mode.
      10-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Can you code this out of the DME? Or is it impossible?
Yes. It can be coded out. It's not a button on the dash, but it's not difficult.

You drift a 135i the same way you would any other car - swap in a LSD or weld the diff.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Yes. It can be coded out. It's not a button on the dash, but it's not difficult.

You drift a 135i the same way you would any other car - swap in a LSD or weld the diff.
I'd be interested in coding it, tired of eating through rear brakes at track days. Although, turning off DSC helps with it.
      10-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I'd be interested in coding it, tired of eating through rear brakes at track days. Although, turning off DSC helps with it.
I'll save you a google search

How to code out the nannies

Where to get the software to program your BMW
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      10-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #11
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thank you very much for this! I've been looking for easy (and cheap) ways to make my car a little for free-spirited than it is now in the handling department.
      10-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

I would rather keep the ediff until you get a real lsd. It is dimwitted and not optimal but I have noticed a difference. There is a noticeable difference in the ability to accelerate in precarious situations with the ediff where my non ediff 330i will spin the inside tire and go nowhere. Even on the track, it will allow rotation given a second to start reacting. I'm fairly confident that disabling the software is gonna gimp the car without a mechanical substitute
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
I would rather keep the ediff until you get a real lsd. It is dimwitted and not optimal but I have noticed a difference. There is a noticeable difference in the ability to accelerate in precarious situations with the ediff where my non ediff 330i will spin the inside tire and go nowhere. Even on the track, it will allow rotation given a second to start reacting. I'm fairly confident that disabling the software is gonna gimp the car without a mechanical substitute
The biggest reason I want it to be fully defeatable is so I can go sliding about come winter time, without worrying about roasting through my brake pads. I also want to code out some of the weird braking nannies.
      10-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
The biggest reason I want it to be fully defeatable is so I can go sliding about come winter time, without worrying about roasting through my brake pads. I also want to code out some of the weird braking nannies.
You can't code out the ediff and still slide reliably. The "e" part of the ediff is what makes it function like an LSD. If you code it out, it's a plain old open.
      10-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Quote:
Winter is probably where you most want the ediff- my no ediff 330i has much trouble in the snow (tires are not the problem before that gospel gets shoved down my throat). I got stuck several times on the same street because it was off camber and center-high, and the car spun the outside tire pulling me into a ditch. My ediff 135i can struggle a bit on the same street, in deeper snow, but it will get a footing because of ediff.

I have four track days on my current set of rear pads and have gone through maybe a third their life- that may not be insignificant but without ediff coding your sliding is going to be all momentum, not power induced. I am looking into adding the ediff function to my 330i (because my DD is not getting a $2000 LSD). I'd code out the other stuff too but even paradoxical3, the guy who discovered all this stuff, suggests keeping it on in lieu of a real LSD.

I get the concern if you're gonna be drifting all day, but it'll be hard to accomplish that without the ediff function and at the end of the day, the rear pads are easy to change and are on the cheaper end of things.
      10-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #16
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Winter is probably where you most want the ediff- my no ediff 330i has much trouble in the snow (tires are not the problem before that gospel gets shoved down my throat). I got stuck several times on the same street because it was off camber and center-high, and the car spun the outside tire pulling me into a ditch. My ediff 135i can struggle a bit on the same street, in deeper snow, but it will get a footing because of ediff.

I have four track days on my current set of rear pads and have gone through maybe a third their life- that may not be insignificant but without ediff coding your sliding is going to be all momentum, not power induced. I am looking into adding the ediff function to my 330i (because my DD is not getting a $2000 LSD). I'd code out the other stuff too but even paradoxical3, the guy who discovered all this stuff, suggests keeping it on in lieu of a real LSD.

I get the concern if you're gonna be drifting all day, but it'll be hard to accomplish that without the ediff function and at the end of the day, the rear pads are easy to change and are on the cheaper end of things.
I guess you're all right. Maybe I'm being too worried about my rear brake pads. I think I'll have to wait for our first snow, and see how it holds-up with the eLSD. I suppose I'll divert my focus to installing a multi-gauge, because BMW is too stubborn to include a simple water temp. gauge in as fun a sports car as the 1'er.
      10-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #17
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies
Quote:

I guess you're all right. Maybe I'm being too worried about my rear brake pads. I think I'll have to wait for our first snow, and see how it holds-up with the eLSD. I suppose I'll divert my focus to installing a multi-gauge, because BMW is too stubborn to include a simple water temp. gauge in as fun a sports car as the 1'er.
get a jb4 or MHD.

you'll want one eventually.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #18
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
get a jb4 or MHD.

you'll want one eventually.
+1 JB4's hijack gauges are super handy
      12-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #19
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
So do you guys have any tips? Do any of you slide your cars around with the stock diff? Is it even worth doing or is it just messy and frustrating? I'm awful at drifting so I'm in the search of a truly empty and large parking lot with no medians or curbs haha
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #20
K-Bag
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 OG M2

[Q] So do you guys have any tips? Do any of you slide your cars around with the stock diff? Is it even worth doing or is it just messy and frustrating? I'm awful at drifting so I'm in the search of a truly empty and large parking lot with no medians or curbs haha [Q]

Ive dont skidpan days with the e-diff. Its very difficult to do skids without an LSD. So I had an Mfactory one installed and now its slides like a boss.

Save your pennies.
Install an LSD.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #21
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bag View Post
Ive dont skidpan days with the e-diff. Its very difficult to do skids without an LSD. So I had an Mfactory one installed and now its slides like a boss.

Save your pennies.
Install an LSD.
I second this. Do the LSD. Every corner is an opportunity to hang the back out.

It totally changed the way I drive my car; with the eLSD as soon as I lost grip the car was a pig. I always drove in fear of rear-wheel spin. Now, the car is nothing but predictable, and the sound of rubber under stress is an indication that I'm in control.

In all seriousness, go and get a USB --> ODBII cable, and download a copy of NCSExpert. It'll take you a while to learn, but follow the instructions to the letter and it's much easier than you expect. Code off the eLSD and find an empty parking lot in the rain. Then code it back on and do it again. ... then save up and buy an LSD
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #22
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
So do you guys have any tips? Do any of you slide your cars around with the stock diff? Is it even worth doing or is it just messy and frustrating? I'm awful at drifting so I'm in the search of a truly empty and large parking lot with no medians or curbs haha

I like to flick it around in the rain sometimes - it's pretty hard tbh. The car fights to stay straight but will not hesitate to snap. You wont spin out but you have to let off the throttle pretty progressively or it'll snap back.
Appreciate 0