BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Detailed a 2011 Jerez Black M3

This Jerez Black M3 was purchased recently, but unfortunately the paint had not exactly been treated with care during the short 15K miles this vehicle has been on the road. I put a plan together, and together with my friend Flex, Menzerna, Uber and Swissvax, we bought it back from the dead.

Owner had dropped the car off the day previous, and this is how I was greeted early this morning.

I had my camera on the wrong setting, so all pictures I took inside look a bit strange. But hopefully this shows how dirty and dull the paint was.

Very dull paint.

Ready for her wash.

Tackling the wheels first. All you need right here.

Plenty of dirt in there.

Washed the M3 with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash 'n Gloss.

Under the lights (and after stripping everything that was on the paint), you could really see the damage.

It had been a while since I've had to deal with RIDS like this.

Most of the car was done using yellow and green Uber pads.

Look at all the dirt I was pulling from the paint.

After a few hours, all polishing was done.

All done. LSP was Swissvax Insignix v1.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
looks great, fantastic job!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
You didn't clay bar? I was always wondering if it would be bad to not clay before waxing?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
You didn't clay bar? I was always wondering if it would be bad to not clay before waxing?
No, I did not clay. Checked to see if certain panels needed it, and came back with little to no contamination. Ever done the "baggy test"? Great way to see if a car needs to be clayed or not. I had parked my X5 close to a tree that was raining sap not long ago and it resulted in my having to clay all the horizontal panels, including the windows. What a pain.

What is strange though is that even though the baggy test and the test spots where I clayed didn't put any contamination, the pad still pulled quite a bit of dirt off the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
No, I did not clay. Checked to see if certain panels needed it, and came back with little to no contamination. Ever done the "baggy test"? Great way to see if a car needs to be clayed or not. I had parked my X5 close to a tree that was raining sap not long ago and it resulted in my having to clay all the horizontal panels, including the windows. What a pain.

What is strange though is that even though the baggy test and the test spots where I clayed didn't put any contamination, the pad still pulled quite a bit of dirt off the paint.
That's what I was going to point out - maybe a clay would have eliminated all the dirt you pulled out with the pad. Nevertheless, car looks great!
Appreciate 0