E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Wheels got scratched on PS2 install --- help?

05-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Wheels got scratched on PS2 install --- help?

After getting my Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires installed this afternoon I decided to put on some Zaino tire shine (tires come really dirty when you first get them). Before putting the tire shine on I went over each wheel to check for scratches because I know that they tend to happen when installing new tires. After checking over all four, I found two minor scratches. One on the front right rim and the other on the back left. Do you guys think it's worth mentioning to the manager at Tires Plus? Even if I did, what would I want them to do about it? The only thing I was thinking about is that they'd have to reinburse me whatever it cost to get buffed out. Where do you get wheels buffed anyway? :rofl:

Think this could be fixed for minimal cost?

*Please excuse the tire grease on the first picture. That's all gone now. I gave the wheels and tires a good scrub down after taking these shots*

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

those are so minor I wouldn't even think about it

if you were on the west coast I'd buy you a sandwich if anyone ever said anything to you about it (unprompted of course), I'd send you a sandwich anyways but in my experience sandwiches don't mail well
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
those are so minor I wouldn't even think about it
Agreed. Your wheels will see much worse over time just from parking rashes and general crap (rocks, debris) on the road. Don't fret about it.. I doubt you can even really notice those unless you're standing close and looking for it.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

still sucks... they put impressions on the rim edge with the teflon coated pry bar. bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

yeah, not to alarm/scare you, but eventually it'll get worse than that, that's barely a scratch, just enjoy your car
      05-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
porksoda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530i

I think you should go complain and see what they can do... because its one thing if you scratched it but another if someone else scratched it who is supposed to be a pro.

Besides that like anyone else said you will probably get scratches on it magically out of nowhere eventually and its not very heavy scratches see if they give you some installation money back or whatever and just find a good reputable shop that does high end cars with touchless systems.

On another note how do you like the ps2s?

and how much did you end up paying for them?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #7
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
another vote for ....... not a big deal. But sorry it happened to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

It's true, it is minor, but do you think I could get both of these minor sratches fixed for $50 or somewhere around there? It'd be worth the 50 bucks to me. I know no one else will notice, but I'll still know it's there.

BTW: Sort of off topic but I have a small scratch on my windshield and I called Safe Lite about getting it fixed and they told me that unless it was cracked they can't do anything? Is that true? I sort of remember someone on this forum with a scratched windsheild (not cracked) was able to get it filled or something for about $50.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
yea, thats real minor..u could prolly buff it out yourself with some polish...you're bound to get little dings and scratches on parts of your vehicle as it grows...i wish they were all little like that
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda
On another note how do you like the ps2s?

and how much did you end up paying for them?
So far so good. Haven't really had a chance to push them to their limits though yet. One thing I notice without a single reservation is that the car rides much much smoother. Sort of like going from riding in a car with no suspension to a Lexus.

Not sure about tire noise though. Seems about the same to me. Maybe a tiny bit less. Tire noise is something I really don't notice to begin with.

As far as what I paid for them, came out to $1,087 with tax and install. I got a really good deal I think. Better price that Tire Rack. Fronts were $207.99 and Rears were $278.99.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

i think there's a DIY link somewhere in this site on fixing that.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
i think there's a DIY link somewhere in this site on fixing that.
I'm really not the DIY kind of person. I've had too many things go very wrong when I tried to fix them myself in the past. I leave the important things that I'm not confident doing to the pros.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

no biggy
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #14
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
I'm really not the DIY kind of person. I've had too many things go very wrong when I tried to fix them myself in the past. I leave the important things that I'm not confident doing to the pros.
Smart man!!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #15
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I would agree that it's no real big deal but if you plan to use them again I'd point it out in a polite but firm manner. I'd let them know your expectations so next time they are more careful. Remind them next time BEFORE they do the work.

If you don't use them again, let the next shop know of your experience before they do the work.

Also, give the new tire sidewalls a good scrub before the dressing. The cleaner the sidewall the better the dressing looks and even "new" tires are filthy.

Last edited by pander5; 05-26-2006 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #16
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5
I would agree that it's no real big deal but if you plan to use them again I'd point it out in a polite but firm manner. I'd let them know your expectations so next time they are more careful. Remind them next time BEFORE they do the work.

If you don't use them again, let the next shop know of your experience before they do the work.

Also, give the new tire sidewalls a good scrub before the dressing. The cleaner the sidewall the better the dressing looks and even "new" tires are filthy.
Thanks for the advice. Anywhere you'd recommend I go to get these scratches buffed out? I'm just over in Clearwater so any local place you recommend would be great.

Could most any paint shop do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Anywhere you'd recommend I go to get these scratches buffed out? I'm just over in Clearwater so any local place you recommend would be great.

Could most any paint shop do it?
Sorry, never had any experience with this kind of repair in this area so I wouldn't know where to steer you. I got a small curb scuff on my passenger front aftermarket wheel and rubbed it out myself. Because it was a chrome lip I wetsanded it down and then buffed it to the point it's almost invisible. Your's look silver clearcoated and I have not had any DIY experience with that finish. Maybe Ferman or someone like that can refer a GOOD local wheel repair shop or maybe the Suncoast BMWCCA chapter folks could do the same.

From the looks of the damage I wouldn't worry too much about it but I know how it feels even if you're the only one who knows they're there.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #18
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
IM SURE U GUYS HAVE SEEN THIS UP IN HERE BEFORE! THATS FOR WORSE THAN U HAVE . IN UR CASE ALL U NEED IS 2000 WETSAND PAPER, A BUFFER AND SUM PATIENCE, U LL SEE FAR WORSE BLEMISHES THAN THAT.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/w...uff-repair.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #19
pr330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

It is hard to see from the photo how bad the scratches really look. I had some bad curb rash on one of my wheels on my Boxster and a service came out that sray painted and repaired the wheel and put a cover of clear coat on it. It looked brand new and you could not tell it was damaged.
If it really bothers you, talk to the tire shop and tell them you want the wheels repaired. Mine cost $125.00 for a two inch scratch and they can go to $250.00 for a repaint. Ask your dealer. These guys hang around and make a good living doing this.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #20
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
After getting my Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires installed this afternoon I decided to put on some Zaino tire shine (tires come really dirty when you first get them). Before putting the tire shine on I went over each wheel to check for scratches because I know that they tend to happen when installing new tires. After checking over all four, I found two minor scratches. One on the front right rim and the other on the back left. Do you guys think it's worth mentioning to the manager at Tires Plus? Even if I did, what would I want them to do about it? The only thing I was thinking about is that they'd have to reinburse me whatever it cost to get buffed out. Where do you get wheels buffed anyway? :rofl:

Think this could be fixed for minimal cost?

*Please excuse the tire grease on the first picture. That's all gone now. I gave the wheels and tires a good scrub down after taking these shots*

Man that sucks that it happened. Usually they will post a sign that will state they are not responsible for damage to rims from mounting. They use it to get away with stuff like this. They are pretty minor and to repair them would probably cost more. Check out places that repair bent rims. They should be able to refinish it but might not be worth it. Glass repairs are usually best if you can get them repaired as soon as it happens. What does your insurance policy say about coverage for the front? When I lived in SC the state would cover damage to the front without paying a dime. I think it had to be atleast as long as a dollar bill or restricting field of vision. If your state does cover it and your blemish is too small than you know what to do. Not that I have done it or anything.
      06-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #21
H.Solo
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 325i Touring

Garage List
I wouldn't think about it... I got some little dings in my brand new rims, from the dealer when they were changing the wheels... but those are very minor.

I also got a nasty scratch from a parking rash on my right front rim:

but with a little wet sanding some polish and aluminum-paint its almost not noticable now.

So no worries, in a few years I might get Alpina-wheels instead!
      06-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #22
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Solo
I wouldn't think about it... I got some little dings in my brand new rims, from the dealer when they were changing the wheels... but those are very minor.

I also got a nasty scratch from a parking rash on my right front rim:

but with a little wet sanding some polish and aluminum-paint its almost not noticable now.

So no worries, in a few years I might get Alpina-wheels instead!
Did you rotate that picture? The brake calipers are suppose to be on the side not on the top.
Appreciate 0