BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
glendo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Coupe

Getting a Respray

Hi gang,

I want to keep my car looking as great as possible, and on a walkaround today i found about 8 tiny chips in the paint. Looking up close at the paint job overall years of this and that have left some minute scratches here and there, and things like carwash brushes etc have left some swirls in the paintjob too.

I was thinking and contemplating getting a respray (same colour) to refresh the car and rid myself of some of the scars.

Would love to paint the whole thing. Not looking at super deep 'take the glass out' level painting, more like a refresh on the car.

(09 135i)

Looking for recommendations, prices, advice, experiences and ideas......

cheers
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 01:40 AM   #2
D2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i - Sold

Why not try a stage 2 paint correction and paint protection with something like ceramic pro. It will cost you less than $1000 and will hopefully bring the result you are looking for. I did it to my 2008 jet black 135i a year ago and was very happy with the result. It still looks great (although I am very careful about the way I wash it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendo View Post
Hi gang,

I want to keep my car looking as great as possible, and on a walkaround today i found about 8 tiny chips in the paint. Looking up close at the paint job overall years of this and that have left some minute scratches here and there, and things like carwash brushes etc have left some swirls in the paintjob too.

I was thinking and contemplating getting a respray (same colour) to refresh the car and rid myself of some of the scars.

Would love to paint the whole thing. Not looking at super deep 'take the glass out' level painting, more like a refresh on the car.

(09 135i)

Looking for recommendations, prices, advice, experiences and ideas......

cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 02:30 AM   #3
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

^This, or put in some solid elbow grease and wax the car thoroughly to get rid of swirls and small scratches, then spend your money on a case of beer and some 3m protection... IMO it seems like overkill to repaint the car.
      11-29-2015, 02:45 AM   #4
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

Since I can't edit on my phone...

Edit; When I purchased my Monaco Blue (almost as bad as black) 135 last June, I don't think that the previous own did ANY paint care on the car. First thing I did after driving it on a 6 hour road trip to go scuba diving (It was on the way so the pickup the car so it worked perfectly), was spend a solid 2-3 hours wax and buffing out any scratches or imperfections in the paint. As I said previously the paint was in rough shape and the swirls were horrible, but after the wax and a little love the paint looked almost brand new....

On the other hand, the touch up paint in the rock chips on the hood isn't the best, but it's only noticeable if you're up close... I would not recommend the dealership touch up paint; even after using pen sanders, prepping the area, and using single hair paint brushes, it's almost impossible to get a perfect finish.

Just my $0.02 on it all.
      11-29-2015, 02:58 AM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I was in a similar situation and just bought a buffer kit that includes an idiot proof random orbital buffer, some pads and some polishes.

Got mine from carcarproducts

Really easy to take out scratches and give it a once over. Certainly pays for itself once you do a couple of panels. Respraying a panel is expensive and a lot of places do crap work.

Chips can be touched up with touch up paint. Yeah it doesn't look perfect but once they're touched up they look 900% better and you won't think about respraying it.

My car is white and after touching up the chips and going over them with the orbital the chips were very hard to spot when standing 1 meter away from the car
      11-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

you won't get away from even a same colour respray for less than a few grand.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
you won't get away from even a same colour respray for less than a few grand.
Maybe by a backyard job, a pro full body respray is more like 8-10k (not including any panel defects that's working on a clean straight car)

Get a pro detail done mate, you would be surprised how good they come up with a proper detail and since your car is quite new it should come up quite good!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:31 AM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Maybe by a backyard job, a pro full body respray is more like 8-10k (not including any panel defects that's working on a clean straight car)
a workmate recently got a respray to a nice metallic pearly purple colour for 4k. not closed-door either. From a base colour of.. faded+browny red+greenish panels lol.

'backyard' but professional with a full spray booth etc. took a couple of months, but it looks a solid 9/10
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 03:31 AM   #9
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Where are you based? If in Sydney try Raj at The Weekend Detailer, you can find him on Facebook. he has a ton of experience detailing BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
Scooby2
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i my09

I have had panels and new bumpers painted on previous cars. While it does pay to find a reputable shop to do it so you get a good job done. What nearly always seems to happen is after 1 to 2 years hairline cracks start to appear in the paint surface.

Try the paint renovation method as that is what I am going to get done.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Do not put shitty paint over the factory paint. A good paint job will cost you several thousand. You will have overspray all over everything, to paint around the rear 1/4 windows properly, the glass has to be removed. The mouldings on that glass only comes with the glass, so you have to buy new windows.

Honestly, this is a really bad idea IMHO.

Find somebody that can touch up the chips professionally, then have a good paint correction done. Then NEVER take it through a car wash with brushes.
Appreciate 0