BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Soooo...a few words on the ESS DirectFlash Stage 1 tune....

I waited with untold impatience for my car to hit 1200 miles and have it's service performed. While they were at it I also had the tech (my buddy) perform the CDV delete mod (highly recommended!).

After a short drive to purchase a $50 battery charger (gotta keep the juices flowing during the "flashing" procedure) I proceeded to immediately start the uploading procedure from the 1M to the scanner. It took about 40 minutes for the scanner to read the stock file. I emailed it to ESS and was emailed my modified file back the following afternoon. It took about 20 minutes to upload it back onto the 1M. This was my first flashing procedure ever but the process went without a hitch mainly due to the very clear instructions included with the software.

Long story short the two words that best describe the 1M after the tune are SMOOTH(er) and STRONG(er). No lights on the dashboard, no hiccups, no weird noises, no drama. The tune is totally transparent which was/is a huge relief to me. If I didn't tell you and you never floored it you might never know it was there. The one thing I did not want to compromise was the beautiful drivability of this machine.

Aaah...but the power!!! Smooth, creamy torque all over the freaking place. At any speed and in any gear you can feel the additional horses under the hood trying to (and often succeding!) break the tires loose. I drive with the stability control disabled at all times (except in the rain) and now I just have to show the car that much more respect with the throttle in the twisties. Having said that, the more natural (read "linear") progression of power that the car now has makes this much easier.

All in all, money very well spent and highly recommended for those of you who desire more power without sacrificing any drivability

Last edited by Die ///M Rakete; 10-31-2011 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

You emailed your original file to ESS? Is the ESS tune specific to your engine/ECU?

Don't understand why they'd need your original file...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
You emailed your original file to ESS? Is the ESS tune specific to your engine/ECU?

Don't understand why they'd need your original file...
Yes. That is part of the procedure. I don't exactly know why they need it, but my guess is that they use your original file to modify so that there will be no compatability issues. This seems like a very elegant approach and seems to work quite well
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
Yes. That is part of the procedure. I don't exactly know why they need it, but my guess is that they use your original file to modify so that there will be no compatability issues. This seems like a very elegant approach and seems to work quite well
Hasn't it got something to do with your VIN code, atleast that's how I understood it

Each flash unit will have a code and therefore not useble for other ecu's.

If i'm wrong please corrct me
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hmm truly elegant would be plug-in, download, upload and play. And yes, even the current ESS method is waaay more elegant than installing ANY hardware, regardless of long it is supposed to take.

Congrats on the upgrade - sounds like a lot of fun!
Appreciate 0