BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Tyre for Cold Temperature

Has anyone got any recommendations for cold temps? I am going to be on a track that we are expecting -5 C ambient in the morning so I have to take my Trofeo's off.

Would the Yokohama AD08R work in these temps? Or is it going to be better off for me to just get a cheapo road tyre?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Has anyone got any recommendations for cold temps? I am going to be on a track that we are expecting -5 C ambient in the morning so I have to take my Trofeo's off.

Would the Yokohama AD08R work in these temps? Or is it going to be better off for me to just get a cheapo road tyre?
AD08Rs need heat. I'd probably choose either the RE-11 or the Pilot Sport A/S. The RE-11s are a risk- they will be very tricky to get up to temp, but will probably ultimately be faster once they get there. The Pilot Sports are the safe bet, but I think they'd be ultimately slower and you might never want to use them again. Are the tires going to start the day dead cold, or will you be driving to the event? If the RE-11s get to -5C they might go below their "glass transition temperature", at which point they cease to behave like rubber and start to behave like plastic. At that point grip goes out the window, and cracking is a worry. If you never let them get that cold they will be much happier.
      07-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Are Michelin PSS's more tolerant? I didn't really seem so based on Tirerack / Michelin's website but it seems to reason that they'd handle it better than the Extreme category ...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Are Michelin PSS's more tolerant? I didn't really seem so based on Tirerack / Michelin's website but it seems to reason that they'd handle it better than the Extreme category ...
Yea the PSS might be in between and perhaps the best bet. They do need a little heat to work, however, so you'll still need to manage your first laps out unlike the A/S. I own both the RE-11 and PSS, and my butt dyno says they work similarly when cool, ie 5 C. I've never tried the RE-11 really cold, though. I have tired the Hankooks around freezing, bad idea, while the PSS feel bad but not terrible.
      07-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Thanks Pete and ayao, I couldn't find too much information but found that the AD08R will work as long as it is above -10C or 14F, so have gone with that. Whilst the others says not design to work in freezing temp.

Ordered some in so will see how it turn out.
Appreciate 0