BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Unhappy Losing sleep over Deal

Hi guys,

I had a very interesting thing happen to me yesterday. Basically, I had ordered my car at a dealership (let's say dealership A), but ended up going with dealership B because their price came out to be lower. I emailed dealership A to cancel my order (I had not placed my deposit yet).

After the excruciating wait, it was just about time for dealership B to be getting my car (it should be coming in this weekend or so). Out of the blue, dealership A emails me saying that they forgot to change my vehicle configuration and that the car came in. The sales manager was apparently pissed, and they were willing to sell it to me for lower than invoice.

I couldn't ignore that price, it was too good to be true. It all sounded very fishy to me - who forgets to change that kind of stuff? I called dealership B to let them know what was going on. I felt that they had the right to know what was up. However, they were not willing to meet the price that dealership A was offering (it was definitely way below what B gave me).

I drove over there yesterday, checked out everything and yep it was there, exactly how I wanted it. They were not kidding about the price either. I wrote out the check (paid it in cash) and drove home yesterday with the car. I just couldn't wait any longer and seeing it right there in front of me pushed me over the edge and I just HAD to get it.

However, now I feel really bad for dealership B! I'm losing sleep over it, and I don't know if I did the right thing. I've never done anything like this before (first time new car purchase, first time order with deposit, the whole shebang). I know I can cancel my order with dealership B and get my deposit back (I actually think they never charged me for it), but they will now have a car with my configuration just sitting on their lot. What do people think? This was supposed to be a great day and I just feel so stressed out about the whole thing.

Also - this means that dealership B has a 6MT JB 135i coming in this weekend with the configuration listed in my sig for the taking, so I guess this will help someone else out there? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I understand the moral debate you are having, but you made the right choice - they will have absolutely no issue in the world selling that car and there's no sense in you giving away your hard-earned money.

Time to move on and enjoy your new car! Congrats! :smile:

EDIT: If you don't mind sharing, what did you end up paying for the car...?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

You definitely have the right to cancel your order in the States.

However, this is the exact reason why we will never have an BMW Individual program in the States. I would also feel bad about having the other dealership use a fairly rare 1er allocation on a car that I bailed on. (I wouldn't have done it though)

You probably should have at least talked to the other dealership that you ordered from prior to paying for that car, in my opinion. That CA just lost a large hunk of cash for doing everything right.

On a positive note, at least you ordered a car that will likely be picked up fairly quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

what is a bmw individual program?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

In other countries, you can order hundreds of paint colors, dozens of leather colors, trim pieces, options, etc. it's the BMW Individual program.

Personally, I do not think it's right that we in the States can order a custom car to our exact specifications and then be able to walk without a penalty.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
In other countries, you can order hundreds of paint colors, dozens of leather colors, trim pieces, options, etc. it's the BMW Individual program.

Personally, I do not think it's right that we in the States can order a custom car to our exact specifications and then be able to walk without a penalty.
Some of those colours look great. Particularly like Blue Onyx Metallic. Hate to think how much it would cost to individualise my car to that level. Maybe next time...
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Hi Larry,

I did in fact call the dealership that I ordered from immediately to let them know what was going on. They were not willing to budge or accommodate. :/ I definitely would have preferred to have bought from them!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:

ohhh, mini does that in the US

I thought that was bmw NA protecting the brand image and not allowing things like cloth
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well.. that's better anyway. Non-binding contracts are tough. If I were dealer B, I would be mad with you, but incredibly angry with dealer A.

Again, you bought a car that people would probably snap off of their lot. Might as well enjoy your car now, and don't lose sleep over it. You did what you had the right to be able to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
ohhh, mini does that in the US

I thought that was bmw NA protecting the brand image and not allowing things like cloth
Individual is usually for high end upholstery, color, and trim options, not different cloth interiors. Play with that configurator in the link I posted. They have some very nice options.. full leather interior, including dash.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
Don-Corleone
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

In deed it's not very ethical or polite but the dealer or sales guy who has been trying to stuff you isn't either. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's life and the cost of doing business. Just go by the dealer or get your wife/relative to do it and get your deposit back. Just say you are pussy whipped.

It's called the bad cop-good cop trick; I always do this with my father; it's a funny mental game similar to what the general manager and CA/sales guy do to any random Mr. Joe Schmo who wants a shiny new car!

My dad is a senior fiscal auditor and wealth manager and I am a strategic manager so we know our numbers and we love to use them as bargaining power :w00t:!

Last time I checked, BMW isn't paying for my mortgage, my wife's desire to go to Bali or the South of France, nor my life expenses thus if I save money on a good deal it's more money to spend elsewhere.

Don-
      08-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I would not lose sleep over it, they are not your friend, they are in it to make money. The would not think twice in getting over on you if given the chance and sleep very well at night doing so.
      08-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

The configuration you mentioned will have ZERO problems selling quickly for Dealership B. Don't sweat it. They weren't trying to make friends, they were trying to make money.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupé

Garage List
Don't even think about it twice. Always take the lower price. They are not in this to be friends with you as GigEm93 said. Plus, you just did someone else in your area a favor by ordering a 135i. Now someone doesn't have to wait so long and I'm sure whatever your config is, it will be perfect for someone looking for the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

Here in Texas (or at least Dallas), most of us are paying MSRP. I can't imagine having 2 dealerships competing for your business like this. And like Xin1120 said, you've done someone else a great favor - My leasing agent's supplier literally checked inventory in the entire country, and 6MT's are VERY hard to find (I gave in and went Steptronic, so I didn't have to buy a 'vert or wait for '09).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Thats business!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
That awesome that you had two dealerships competing, I'm paying MSRP, you are very lucky, you did the right thing
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Dealer A is doubly stupid. First they fail to cancel the order. Then they give it to you a a super-low price because they panicked.

Dealer B is smart. They had the option to sell it to you for a low price, but they made a business decision that they would have no trouble selling the car, so they refused to drop the price below invoice.

You also made a business decision.

The only one hurt is Dealer A, which is hurt only due to its stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
I would've done exactly the same thing & slept very well afterwards knowing I saved the extra cash.

Money talks & you took the best deal.

Business is business.

Dealer A did not panic & most certainly would not have sold at a loss.

Somehow, somewhere, they would've at least broken even on it.

It was probably more to do with Dealer A not losing a sale to Dealer B more than anything.

Funny how everyone says how Dealer B have been left with a desirable car which would fly off the lot. If the situation was reversed & Dealer A were the ones left with the car on their lot I'm sure they wouldn't be crying over it either.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

....It looks like a window or snippet of the bad economy we are in now. the dealership is even willing to sell at a loss? lower than invoice?

Oh well, better ship all those 1'ers to the east or Texas where they are all fighting for an MSRP.

By popular request, would you share us how much you ended up paying? If you dont, its going to be us who will lose a lot of sleep....LOL
      08-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #21
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Mind telling us who Dealership A is? I'm curious.
      08-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I see you live in Nor Cal. Where might this 1 be at so I can go and test drive it?!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0