BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #23
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I'll quote myself, just incase you're still gonna try the wire thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
No, later models have no keyholes in the trunk.

He has to use a key for the front door, pop the hood, "jump" (by connecting jumper cables) to the battery terminal posts UNDER THE FRONT HOOD, and he will have enough power to unlock the trunk using the trunk button on the dash.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #24
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Not sure if this is the issue with that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
I concur. jumping the car prob will not work becaause that module mounted on top of the batter has no ground any more.
Definitely worth trying the jump first though. That wire thing is going to be a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #25
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
It's not recommended for personal install, which is why it's not in the manual. You would be surprised how many newer cars need programming after battery installs.

The only solution is to hook it up in the front and hope the terminals in the back aren't touching anything.
The new cars don't need to be programed after the battery replacement. The battery needs to be initialized and coded to the car. No programing is required.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

So this was rather easy, I simply jumped it and the car woke up and I'm able to now get into the trunk.

Thread/
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz7 View Post
Definitely worth trying the jump first though. That wire thing is going to be a pain in the ass.

There is more than one ground. It works. People have done it and posted ad naseum.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 09-06-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #28
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
I disconnected the battery (only one terminal) to install a lightweight battery over the weekend and I accidentally closed the trunk. Our cars don't have keyholes as you all know so I went out and purchased a charger/maintainer from Sears today. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

After about ten minutes of charging both terminals there was no evidence of power. The charger even stated it wasn't "charging the battery" which of course makes sense. I'm only trying to get enough power to pop that trunk so now I'm considering getting a jump from my wife's car. Is this a good idea?

I can't believe a BMW doesn't have a manual option for opening the damn trunk in the event of a disconnected or completely dead/unchargeable battery!

Any other advice?
All you need to do is to get a simple charger that has enough power/amps and connect it to both terminals under the hood.

Some new chargers won't start charging the battery if they can't detect any voltage form the battery , which is the case with your car.

You need to supply at least 14v to be able open the lock.

It happened to me many times and old school charger did the trick.

Good Luck,
Aleks.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #29
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
There are more than one ground. It works. People have done it and posted ad naseum.
Good to know. Glad this was sorted out so easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #30
inluvwithastripper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

My 1M has not arrived yet, but I have a 135 and it has a trunk key hole. It is under the lip of the trunk and not immediately obvious, but it's there. I would imagine the 1M has the same hole.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #31
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by inluvwithastripper View Post
My 1M has not arrived yet, but I have a 135 and it has a trunk key hole. It is under the lip of the trunk and not immediately obvious, but it's there. I would imagine the 1M has the same hole.
It doesn't.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
So this was rather easy, I simply jumped it and the car woke up and I'm able to now get into the trunk.

Thread/
That's awesome, glad the battery thing worked. Hanger would have been a royal PITA.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by inluvwithastripper View Post
Noop! It was done away on 135i's in late 2009 I believe. Part of BMW's decontenting of the car. I know my 2010 does not have one.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #34
tay
Rep
Drives: many

Quote:
That's no good if the battery's disconnected!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #35
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tay View Post
It definitely works when the battery is disconnected. I have done it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #36
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Another thing to not do is do not open a door with the battery disconnected. The drop down then back up when closed feature got screwed up in my car when I did it. Mechanic/Coder fixed it easily, but I couldn't.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #37
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Jumping the terminals under the hood area works. You are essentially plugging in a second battery. Doesn't matter that your actual battery in the trunk is disconnected.
      05-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #38
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

How do you even find a thread this old to rez?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #39
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert
How do you even find a thread this old to rez?
By using Searchy. A lost art , clearly
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #40
xjan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

A very old thread, but I thought it might be useful to give some info. I had a problem with the battery disconnected and trunk closed on my 1M. Luckily it had the fold down 1/3 and 2/3 seats, but... not the glow-in-the-dark handle nor nothing. Attaching a charger/starter to the battery terminals under the hood did not work.

Finally I managed to get the seats folded down by removing the left side rear shelf speaker and feeling around in the sound insulation foam under it to find the release cable. Twisting and pulling on the cable from the middle with pliers I popped the seatback lock finally and got access to the trunk
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #41
fjgregor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

After this happening to me a couple of months back, whenever I know I have to disconnect battery, I'll just hit the unlock levers JUST IN CASE. It might save you alot of hassle.

Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #42
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Jumping the terminals under the hood area works. You are essentially plugging in a second battery. Doesn't matter that your actual battery in the trunk is disconnected.
This.
      12-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #43
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Reading through this thread I could imagine if you have OP's problem that you could get confused. Adding some minimal accuracy in most statements ties all great advise together:

Quote:
No, later models have no keyholes in the trunk.

He has to use a key for the front door, pop the hood, "jump" (by connecting jumper cables) to the battery terminal posts UNDER THE FRONT HOOD, and he will have enough power to unlock the trunk using the trunk button on the dash.
Correct. Keep in mind that the charger or battery has to able to function as a steady 'voltage supply'. If the charging device claims to be an intelligent charger that checks the condition of the battery (that is not even connected) before supplying electrical power to the terminals, such chargers will not help you in the disconnected battery situation. Find a charger that has a steady voltage supply option or a spare battery and connect it as suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
I disconnected the battery (only one terminal) to install a lightweight battery over the weekend and I accidentally closed the trunk. Our cars don't have keyholes as you all know so I went out and purchased a charger/maintainer from Sears today. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

After about ten minutes of charging both terminals there was no evidence of power. The charger even stated it wasn't "charging the battery" which of course makes sense. I'm only trying to get enough power to pop that trunk so now I'm considering getting a jump from my wife's car. Is this a good idea?

I can't believe a BMW doesn't have a manual option for opening the damn trunk in the event of a disconnected or completely dead/unchargeable battery!

Any other advice?
It seems your charger was 'over-intelligent'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54dan View Post
It's not recommended for personal install, which is why it's not in the manual. You would be surprised how many newer cars need programming after battery installs.

The only solution is to hook it up in the front and hope the terminals in the back aren't touching anything.
The only way in which connecting steady supply to the terminals under the hood will not work (and might possibly damage your charger/2nd battery) is when in the trunk, the disconnected red supply battery cable connects somehow to ground. No need to ever disconnect the red battery cable, except for the minute before and after changing the car battery itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
The new cars don't need to be programed after the battery replacement. The battery needs to be initialized and coded to the car. No programing is required.
Correct, this is related to regenerative braking. The charging of the battery while braking, is implemented as a function of age and charging history of the battery. That battery history needs to be reset when you install a new battery and the date that the battery is installed in the car is entered and stored in the car's ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay View Post
It only depends on the ability of your charging device to supply electrical power even when the battery in the trunk is disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #44
gibbsb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M AW

Hooking up jumper cables to the + lug under the hood and to a chassis ground should power up everything. Done it many times on BMWs when I owned my shop.
Appreciate 0