BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Non-Original 1M owners Roll Call!

Inspired by the Original 1M owners Roll Call! thread- I thought we - crazy folk who are willing to buy a 4 year old car for greater than MSRP - deserve our own.

Might be nice to know when/where/and at what mileage you picked up your 1M and what, if any, mods you have planned. Also- pictures, lots of pictures!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

I'll start- I picked up my 1M off this forum with ~15k miles. I am the third owner- the first was an older gentleman who picked it up the car in Germany, decided it was a bit too much car and sold it shortly after returning (for a profit) to the second owner who took great care of it until selling to me.

Since purchase, I've done a bit of house keeping and made it my own:
1. Had a complete fluid flush, cabin and engine filter change, compression test and cylinder scope.
2. Full detail/paint correction, cQuartz and Xpel Ultimate PPF by Unique Car Care of Boston
3. Added a Forge FMIC, N55 mids and E82 1M Gloss Black Cosmetic Package
4. Picked up a second, new steering wheel (will store resale) and had the original wrapped in alcantara w/ orange stitching
5. Replaced the shift knob and boot (OEM)
5. New PSS' to be installed later this week (still debating going 255/275- any guidance appreciated)
7. Am waiting on a Lightweight front lip (more for protection than looks).

No tune planned- N55 mid improved throttle response and the car makes plenty of power for my use.

Photos

New PPF

Outdoors

Wheel

Last edited by Roundown; 05-26-2015 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
5. Having new PSS installed later this week (still debating going 255/275- any guidance appreciated)
cSurf I believe there are a bunch of threads on this in the Wheel/Tire section:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126863

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073331

I will probably be going with the 265/295 combo when the time comes.
      05-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Such a clean looking VO.
Congrats.
      05-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
5. Having new PSS installed later this week (still debating going 255/275- any guidance appreciated)
PSS 255/35R19 front + PSS 275/35R19 rear = way to go.

Several got this setup, including yours truly. Grip guaranteed.
      05-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
haha i felt so 2nd rate in the 'original 1M owners" thread so thanks for starting this!!! lol

Purchased: July 2014 from BMW Bridgeport (Connecticut) with 34xxx miles
Currently: May 2015 with 61XXX miles (yes i'm driving the hell out of it!)

I am the 2nd owner.

The car was totally stock when i bought it and is STILL totally stock except for a blue-stripe Alcantara M steering wheel. I do have a Vorsteiner exhaust waiting to be installed....but that thing has been sitting since October!! Not sure when it is going on! haha.

No other modifications planned. The car is amazing. I daily drive it and I couldn't be happier. Have all the maintenance history dating back to the original owner.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Thanks- this is helpful. I've read most of the tire threads and consensus seems to be 255/275- but wasn't sure if anyone was running 30, or sticking w/ 35. Figured 30s might be OK given the PSS has a slightly stiffer sidewall.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 03:48 AM   #8
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Purchased : May 2015
Miles : 13,xxx
Previous owners : 2
It has 1 small stone chip and still on its original tyres a credit to its last owners.

Looking at changing the FMIC and adding a Cobb.
I made some carbon trims and had the engine cover done in VO
it also has Lux angel eyes.
i have updated the Nav
Next tyres will be 255x35 and 275x35
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

I'm a new-ish 2nd Owner. I bought my completely stock Black 1M from a collector( with too many cars) in Napa CA with 5300 miles on it. Had it PPI'd with zero issues or changes needed…. utter perfection. It's staying in California, completely stock and garaged when not being driven. It's a 4th car.

3M on full hood and front fascia as well as rear wheel arches.

Going in for fluid changes this month.

Love the car!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:32 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Sorry to thread jack, but I have this setup also, which has one big issue.

The PSS 275/35/19 seem to throw up more stone chips on the rear quarter due to the square edge of the PSS tyre design.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Perfect timing - just hit 1 year of ownership!

I'm the 2nd owner of JAX S50's old 1M.
Bought it at 4k miles and it's now sitting at 19k.
The car is a stripper w/ one exception: the upgraded Harman sound system, which rocks! (pun intended)
Drivetrain is perfect... which is to say stock. Only modifications are black grilles, Lux angel eyes, and a hardwired V1.

Story time (long post ahead)!

I remember the excitement of buying this car like it was yesterday. After a ton of research and many (many) test drives in friend's, stranger's, and dealership cars, all it took was a 10 minute ride for me to decide: 1M.

I had owned a beater Z3 for over a decade, and loved that car to death. Mechanical soft top, 5 speed, and super light... it was incredibly tossable and just plain fun to drive... but when I moved back to the states it was time for something new - and frankly anything with more than 114hp. I wanted another convertible (moving to central CA after all) so I settled on a new 2012 Z4 sDrive35i.

Initially that Z4 blew me away. Moving from 114 to 300hp felt like discovering fire or inventing the jet engine. I bought the car in NJ and had a great father-son road trip across the US, stopping in Chicago, the Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton Nat Park, Yosemite, and San Fransisco. It was just a tour of awesomeness. But, eventually over the following year I came to realize my new, expensive, heavy, incredibly complex Z4 didn't really capture the same fun and smile-inducing feeling I got in the old Z3.
All the possible complications from the electric folding hardtop, pop-up iDrive, electronic parking break, and electronically adjustable steering and suspension just felt more and more like luxury items I didn't need, and would inevitably fail and lead to complicated repairs as the car got older. The Z4 was certainly fast in a straight line; it just didn't change directions or provide the driving feedback I wanted. Try as I may, I couldn't form an emotional connection to it.

So, the replacement search began! I looked into E36/8 M coupes, Z4 M coupes, the E46 and E9X M3s... then one day on a whim I test drove a 1M. It was in a word, perfect. Everything I was looking for. Even on a 10 minute test drive I could feel the sense of occasion it gave. The 1M just felt special.

Back then (spring 2014) there were 5-10 used 1Ms for sale in the US at any given time. Daily searches on Autotrader and the forums commenced while I advertised the crap out of my Z4. I looked a stock stripper in VO, having learned my lesson about not wanting any options or extras.

I think it took about 5 months until I came across JAX S5's car in Autotrader. I had a serious buyer for my Z4 and was looking to close soon. His 1M was everything that I was looking for - so I called him up and on the following day drove 450 miles to SoCal for a pre inspection.

Knowing what I know now, the pre inspection was completely unnecessary: his car was immaculate. Fair weather driven, garaged, and super low milage. We shook hands on a deal, and credit to him - he was cool with waiting another 3 weeks so I could sell my Z4 and get a plane ride back down to pick up the 1M.

Every day since has only reinforced my decision to sell the Z4 after just 1.5 years and daily drive a 1M. Alright, I'm done rambling (sorry, long post). So here's a few photos of purchasing my 1M -

Leaving my house before dawn for a 1M test drive. Just another spur-of-the-moment 450 mile drive from Monterey to SoCal:
Name:  IMG_5248.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  55.0 KB

One last PCH drive with the Z4:
Name:  IMG_4991.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  123.5 KB

Prepurchase inspection:
Name:  IMG_9058.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  181.8 KB
Name:  IMG_9068.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  219.6 KB

Crack-o-dawn flight from Monterey -> San Jose -> Palm Springs to take delivery. All I had on me was a cashier's check and cellphone... I had forgotten my phone charger. This is over Santa Cruz:
Name:  IMG_9181.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  66.2 KB

Last shot - my whip at a Boston chapter BMW CCA Cars & Coffee:
Name:  IMG_0026 (2).jpg
Views: 495
Size:  208.8 KB

Last edited by vasmir; 05-28-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
haha i felt so 2nd rate in the 'original 1M owners" thread so thanks for starting this!!! lol

Purchased: July 2014 from BMW Bridgeport (Connecticut) with 34xxx miles
Currently: May 2015 with 61XXX miles (yes i'm driving the hell out of it!)

I am the 2nd owner.

The car was totally stock when i bought it and is STILL totally stock except for a blue-stripe Alcantara M steering wheel. I do have a Vorsteiner exhaust waiting to be installed....but that thing has been sitting since October!! Not sure when it is going on! haha.

No other modifications planned. The car is amazing. I daily drive it and I couldn't be happier. Have all the maintenance history dating back to the original owner.

Looks fantastic- you get a lot more 1M in your life than most. Kudos.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #13
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir
Perfect timing - just hit 1 year of ownership!

I'm the 2nd owner of JAX S50's old 1M.
Bought it at 4k miles and it's now sitting at 19k.
The car is a stripper w/ one exception: the upgraded Harman sound system, which rocks! (pun intended)
Drivetrain is perfect... which is to say stock. Only modifications are black grilles, Lux angel eyes, and a hardwired V1.

Story time (long post ahead)!

I remember the excitement of buying this car like it was yesterday. After a ton of research and many (many) test drives in friend's, stranger's, and dealership cars, all it took was a 10 minute ride for me to decide: 1M.

I had owned a beater Z3 for over a decade, and loved that car to death. Mechanical soft top, 5 speed, and super light... it was incredibly tossable and just plain fun to drive... but when I moved back to the states it was time for something new - and frankly anything with more than 114hp. I wanted another convertible (moving to central CA after all) so I settled on a new 2012 Z4 sDrive35i.

Initially that Z4 blew me away. Moving from 114 to 300hp felt like discovering fire or inventing the jet engine. I bought the car in NJ and had a great father-son road trip across the US, stopping in Chicago, the Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton Nat Park, Yosemite, and San Fransisco. It was just a tour of awesomeness. But, eventually over the following year I came to realize my new, expensive, heavy, incredibly complex Z4 didn't really capture the same fun and smile-inducing feeling I got in the old Z3.
All the possible complications from the electric folding hardtop, pop-up iDrive, electronic parking break, and electronically adjustable steering and suspension just felt more and more like luxury items I didn't need, and would inevitably fail and lead to complicated repairs as the car got older. The Z4 was certainly fast in a straight line; it just didn't change directions or provide the driving feedback I wanted. Try as I may, I couldn't form an emotional connection to it.

So, the replacement search began! I looked into E36/8 M coupes, Z4 M coupes, the E46 and E9X M3s... then one day on a whim I test drove a 1M. It was in a word, perfect. Everything I was looking for. Even on a 10 minute test drive I could feel the sense of occasion it gave. The 1M just felt special.

Back then (spring 2014) there were 5-10 used 1Ms for sale in the US at any given time. Daily searches on Autotrader and the forums commenced while I advertised the crap out of my Z4. I looked a stock stripper in VO, having learned my lesson about not wanting any options or extras.

I think it took about 5 months until I came across JAX S5's car in Autotrader. I had a serious buyer for my Z4 and was looking to close soon. His 1M was everything that I was looking for - so I called him up and on the following day drove 450 miles to SoCal for a pre inspection.

Knowing what I know now, the pre inspection was completely unnecessary: his car was immaculate. Fair weather driven, garaged, and super low milage. We shook hands on a deal, and credit to him - he was cool with waiting another 3 weeks so I could sell my Z4 and get a plane ride back down to pick up the 1M.

Every day since has only reinforced my decision to sell the Z4 after just 1.5 years and daily drive a 1M. Alright, I'm done rambling (sorry, long post). So here's a few photos of purchasing my 1M -

Leaving my house before dawn for a 1M test drive. Just another spur-of-the-moment 450 mile drive from Monterey to SoCal:
Attachment 1217878

One last PCH drive with the Z4:
Attachment 1217879

Prepurchase inspection:
Attachment 1217882
Attachment 1217881

Crack-o-dawn flight from Monterey -> San Jose -> Palm Springs to take delivery. All I had on me was a cashier's check and cellphone... I had forgotten my phone charger. This is over Santa Cruz:
Attachment 1217880

Last shot - my whip at a Boston chapter BMW CCA Cars & Coffee:
Attachment 1217906
Great shot and great story.

Will I be seeing you at the next Boston CCA event in Wakefield RI (that pic looks like it might have been taken there...)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #14
GS WAX
Rep
Drives: 2012 VO 1 M coupe

Purchased at the start of April this year from the original owner.
I searched all over for a factory original 1M, unfortunately at the time most were either dealer presented painted to death cars, wrong spec or just too high mileage.

Finally found this one within minutes of it being advertised,rang it,deposit left, hired a car, went to view and a deal was struck.
While not being perfect, it was exactly what I was looking for, and for that matter exactly how I would have ordered it new in 2011( except I would have had the top tint windscreen), but I didn't set out to buy the best car available, just wanted a low mileage Factory original car in VO with perfect history, nav,and a few toys, this one has also elec mem seats, internet, apps, HK Sound, folding mirrors, all the Bluetooth and media bits, sun protection glass ect.
The car was registered at the end of Feb 2012, has the service pack till 2017 and I renewed the warranty for another year.

So far I have added a media snap in adaptor for my iphone 4s, black bmw perf grilles, M carpet mats,new wheel badges, the one of 450 plaque, changed the new pzero tyres to Michelin PSS(wish I had gone for PS2 now to keep original)and had a BMW kds done.

Its used as a weekend fun car and my only regret is I didn't buy a new one.... I remember drooling over the VO 1m on the stand at Wentworth while attending the BMW PGA championship Golf and thinking " that's a bit of me but phuk that price for a 1 series", how wrong I was

some pics after its first wash by myself and a quick wipe round with some Zaino grand finale, once I can stop driving it I might get round to doing a light correction and looking at the few marks on the body, but they don't bother me that much.

[URL=http://s137.photobucket.com/user/golfsads/media/Latest%2019%20002_zps0bc0up7f.jpg.html][IMG]

Appreciate 1