BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
3rdgear
Private
China
Rep
Drives: black 1m gt 535i

Which one is a better car

Guys lately I have been thinking about the a45 quite a bit, I drove my friends and the pick up speed and handling is very impressive, it does feel a little faster than the 1m and the interior and seats are awesome. I've had my 1m for almost 2 years now and maybe it's time for a change but I see members here selling than really regretting the trade so I need to think hard before pulling the trigger, so guys pls share your thoughts with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgear View Post
Guys lately I have been thinking about the a45 quite a bit, I drove my friends and the pick up speed and handling is very impressive, it does feel a little faster than the 1m and the interior and seats are awesome. I've had my 1m for almost 2 years now and maybe it's time for a change but I see members here selling than really regretting the trade so I need to think hard before pulling the trigger, so guys pls share your thoughts with me.
More than most cars, the 1M has soul to it. That visceral experience seems to be what most people miss when they sell their car ...
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgear
If your mind is wandering it's time to go. It's a great car but the greatest car in the world is the one YOU like.

Let me know if you're thinking of trading it in. Looking for stock clean no-nav one. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
If your mind is wandering it's time to go. It's a great car but the greatest car in the world is the one YOU like.

Let me know if you're thinking of trading it in. Looking for stock clean no-nav one. Good luck!

NEWS HEADLINE!

NachoB is now willing to move to Shanghai, China to get a no-nav 1M of his liking!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:

NEWS HEADLINE!

NachoB is now willing to move to Shanghai, China to get a no-nav 1M of his liking!
LOL. desperate times call for desperate measures!

: )
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:13 AM   #6
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Agree with Nachob,

If you're thinking of moving, unless you drive it and dislike it, or own it and get tired of it, you'll always be wondering. So the guys here that have made the move and are looking to move back, they've done the right thing, they're enthusiasts and the drive is the most important thing to them, so finding the perfect tool is essential. As a process of that search, you go through the competition to ensure you've made the right decision. And because they came back, doesn't mean you will.

I love how nasty and highly strung the 1M is, however my friends think a car should be safe, smooth and predictable, they all bought Audis. I could never, so go through the process and you'll get it.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

There will always be faster, more comfortable cars...the 1m to me is more than numbers. I regret getting rid of mine big time.

I think you will seriously regret getting rid of one of the last (and best IMO) "analog" performance cars for an awd benz...
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Then also order a rest-of-world muffler, nachob.

I guess you still remember the heated discussions of 2012 in threads that were marked by a tendency to spiral out of control:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711749
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714642
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719739
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738635
      05-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I remember those as well as drone complaints no light on vanity mirror etc. I regret selling mine but it wasn't because I wanted something else. Got caught by the bad economy. I love many cars but the 1M is the end of the analog era for BMW as well as the beginning of the current era. I see it like the P-51 mustang. Both built with intense focus in a short timeframe. The Mustang was parts bin too. Eventually using Rolls engine over American motor and later versions adapted English Malcom Hood Canopies.

It was one the last and best prop fighters and some of it's technology even made not into jets. The first American jet fighters adapted the mustang airfoil design much like new M cars are turbocharged, have air curtains and the M3 uses a version of the 1M gearbox in MT version.

But even people that love the P-51 would rather fly in a Learjet to work than in the stang. So someone like the poster can love and appreciate it but want something else without taking anything away from it.

As for me, I want the dogfighter back and hope I can find a 1M again.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

The Merc may be faster in a straight line, but lacks personality. And with the boost they are running, there is little room to increase it. The 1er has personality out the tailpipes, and is just the starting point to making something ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

How on earth anyone can consider the 1M an "analog" car is beyond me. Nearly everything it does depends on digital electronics.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Don't feed the troll.

/thread
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes
How on earth anyone can consider the 1M an "analog" car is beyond me. Nearly everything it does depends on digital electronics.
It's when you compare it to new ones. It has enough analog left to qualify. It's manual only, no digital engine sound, fixed analog suspension. Yes it has a lot of electronics but new M cars are fully digital. Shifting is electronic, launches are electronic, suspension dampening is electronic, engine sound electronic, steering is electronic. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao
Don't feed the troll.

/thread
Who's the troll?

Me?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
I guess nachob did not mean it in a purely technical way, but more as a kind of metaphor. Think of the 'analog versus digital synthesizers' discussions amongst musicians. True that it's very subjective, but most musicians will tell you that the good old analog sound is warmer (though the synths are a pain to operate and maintain or even keep alive).
      05-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
see nachob's reply above this for the details as i totally agree with him.

you are right that MODERN cars are inherently much more digital (engine managment, electronically controlled stuff like traction control and brakes)-----BUT compared to the vast amount of electronics that are NOW coming in cars compared to a few years ago it has changed a lot.

you can't even get an M3 with a Manual Transmission that does NOT have rev matching! i don't want rev matching! i want to match my own revs dammit!!! and NO i don't want a DCT either....sorry! I would be happier with my slow ass, poorly shifted lap times! lol

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Manual transmission, set suspension, most importantly hydraulically assisted steering that actually lets you feel whats going on at the front wheels...

Compared to so many "performance" cars out there, this is pretty damn analog.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #18
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Manual transmission, set suspension, most importantly hydraulically assisted steering that actually lets you feel whats going on at the front wheels...

Compared to so many "performance" cars out there, this is pretty damn analog.

And don't forget, perhaps it's the last M whose dash was designed primarily without an iPad glued on top of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #19
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Who's the troll?

Me?
No, referring the analog comment!
Sorry -- moment of weakness.

Certainly it's no E30 M3 but as you said, in comparison to something like a GT-R ... It's all relative I guess!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #20
Buu
Rep
Drives: On the fence

Your joy is your own, your bitterness is your own no one can share it with you. At the end of the day you have to do what makes you happy no one else walks in your shoes. If your mind is set on the A45 then you better off asking this question on a Merc forum then it will validate your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #21
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
LOL. desperate times call for desperate measures!

: )
Good luck Nacho ... You will have driven one in at least three continents then! Cheers friend!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #22
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgear
Keep in mind that folks on this forum who've sold their 1Ms and now wish they hadn't, are a self-selected group. They've chosen to remain active on this forum and have plans to find another 1M someday.

How many other owners sold their 1Ms and never looked back? Obviously, they're not likely to be on this forum!

I thoroughly enjoy my 1M and have no plans to part with it anytime soon. However, when my eyes started to wander last year, I was lucky enough to be able to add an even more analog vehicle to the garage and now find myself driving it more than the 1M for the daily commute. . . Still love the 1M on the track though!
Attached Images

?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0