E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Premium Package- You got to be kidding me

03-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #45
mmeads
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster
I agree that it's too much for what it contains, but I didn't see a way to order the bluetooth, auto-dimming mirrors, homelink etc. without ZPP. That said, Im glad I'm getting leather instead of leatherette.

If you want the mirror (auto-dim, homelink etc) you can get it afterwards for $350 MSRP. I'm sure Circle could cut you a deal on it too.
      03-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #46
DTDREW
Rep
n/a
Drives:

getting premium package makes the residual value higher ..along with any other options. Would you get premium pkg for an extra 15 bucks a month in a lease? I would :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #47
Thomas
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e Touring

Garage List
I like the way it is in Europe, so you can individualize your car the way you want it.
I don't need a compass, I don't want to spent 500 euro's on alu trim in stead of almost the same looking titan matt trim, I don't want to spent 2500 euro on leather seats (if electric add 1800 euro, if heated add another 500 euro) etc.
Packages are for the manufacturer cheaper, because they can build the same kind of cars.. It's for a manufacturer difficult and expensive to individualize each car, that's why Lexus come with full options standard. It makes the building process more efficient and less expensive.
I think because in the States everybody wants a lot of options in their BMW's, BMWNA offers packages. If every American could order each option individually, the cars would be more expensive then with packages.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #48
Thomas
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e Touring

Garage List
I'm now reading LEDZEP's posts and realize he did say the same thing already..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #49
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

ZPP is a decent package and from the many writers opinions, everyone places a different value on different pieces that mean something to them. Personally, I wanted folding mirrors but the other items were not that important to me. When I asked if I could order this a-la carte, I was told "No. You have to get the whole ZPP." So, I passed on this. But again, that's just me. I'd rather save the $2k and save for a Dinan Stage 2 suspension, or something.

"The wouldn't be so many stars in the sky if we all had the same wish"
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDREW
getting premium package makes the residual value higher ..along with any other options. Would you get premium pkg for an extra 15 bucks a month in a lease? I would :-)
No, it doesn't.
The residual is based on the mileage used per year.
Currently, 12k miles is 64% and 15k is 62%.
Oddly, getting an automatic trans doesn't increase the residual,
which is GREAT for us manual drivers.

I think you meant that typically options get a nice return on resale?
And, that is true. You may pay $1400 for leather, but you'll get $700 for it after, say, 3 years. So, over the long term the cost is lower. But, the "residual" (percentage) does not change with more or less options.

But, I agree that the lease costs of the packages make them very very appealing, and even "affordable" if I can say that about a
BMW.

T
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #51
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
then don't get it.

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #52
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
No, Porsche has that title sewn up, with BMW and M-B fighting for second place.
Absolutely in my 996 i had to pay for power seats ....

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #53
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheneer
Absolutely in my 996 i had to pay for power seats ....
As well, they have different versions of power seats, don’t they? I think there at least 3 versions, no?

(also you can have different leather options on the seats and request exactly they put leather…)

Jon.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #54
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Well, the original poster made HIS comment and you felt it necessary to point at his wrongness. If you don't like it, don't do it.
The poster had a point, and you're trying to say he doesn't, then you say everyone should make their own decisions.
Which one is it?

T
If his stated opinion was something like "I've decided not to get ZPP because I don't find many of the components necessary and I refuse to pay extra for things that I think should be standard...." yada yada... but no, his comment was

Try package full of stupid crap. Compass, special mirrors. Leather is cool but the rest.... Why are people so obsessed with this package. Frankly I think that a 40k car, especially a BMW, should come with the homelink, mirrors and compass standard. Most SUV's do...

He starts his thread in such an overt and confrontational tone. So what exactly is he saying? I'm an asshole for being such a sucker to get ZPP? He's welcome to think that, and even to say it, but I get to respond. I don't think anyone without ZPP should have gotten it (until they start whining about not having this or that feature). I personally use each and every feature of ZPP and would not have even considered the car without it.

Leather interior = stupid crap?
8 way power front seats w/driver memory = stupid crap?
power lumbar support = stupid crap?
auto dimming rear and side view mirrors = stupid crap?
BMW Assist = stupid crap?
Bluetooth = stupid crap?
Power folding mirrors = stupid crap?
Homelink = stupid crap?

I'm just growing weary of the "if you don't like the exact same things I do then you're a fucking moron" threads lately. I've read hundreds of "here's why I didn't get this package or that package" threads and it never bugged me.

As far as him having a point, I think I partially agreed to that before. Sure, homelink, auto-dimming, folding mirrors, these should be standard in a $40k car? I agree. And they ARE. Without options the E90 is around what, 31K? Still maybe some of these should be standard even at that level, but for $40k you have built yourself a pretty loaded 325i.

So, teach BMW a lesson... teach us all a lesson. Get yourself a stripped E90 with no ammenities to punish us.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #55
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP

So, teach BMW a lesson... teach us all a lesson. Get yourself a stripped E90 with no ammenities to punish us.
Better yet, go get an EVO as they have one with manual windows, manual seats, etc. in order to save weight and increase the performance. No stupid crap in that car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #56
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by selm
Better yet, go get an EVO as they have one with manual windows, manual seats, etc. in order to save weight and increase the performance. No stupid crap in that car.
Get a Kia Rio, because they don’t sell the ‘good’ 400 bhp Evo in the US anyways!

Jon.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #57
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
.....I think things like PDC are stupid as hell unless you have a motor home, but I don't bash it or have any opinion about people who get it.....
Okay, now I'm ticked. I have PDC.

Seriously... the only reason I opted for PDC is my 3 year old son & all of the kids in our neighborhood. If he, or any of his toys (including his mini BMW) are behind my car, I'll never see them. At least there will be beeping & the navi display.
      03-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #58
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven24
Okay, now I'm ticked. I have PDC.

Seriously... the only reason I opted for PDC is my 3 year old son & all of the kids in our neighborhood. If he, or any of his toys (including his mini BMW) are behind my car, I'll never see them. At least there will be beeping & the navi display.
Ahhh, see I didn't think about that use. I was just thinking parallel parking. I stand corrected! So I guess what I should have said was: it would be stupid for me to have.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #59
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeads
If you want the mirror (auto-dim, homelink etc) you can get it afterwards for $350 MSRP. I'm sure Circle could cut you a deal on it too.

I've considered this just for the homelink. Has anyone else added it after the fact? A DIY would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #60
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #61
Discodancingrover
F=MA?
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
BMW = The Option(s) King
I think the true option king is Porsche. They have a ridiculous amount of options!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #62
DTDREW
Rep
n/a
Drives:

well a base 3 series lease is so high because its not worth much later on.. a 33k msrp lease is 430 a month and a 41k lease is 500. not much difference but its better to have all the options in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #63
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

nobody's forcing you to get the premium package. if you don't like it, don't get it.

that being said, i didn't get it, and i have no regrets.
      03-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #64
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's the EVO RS. Yes, no "stupid" crap in that car and many who buy it LOVE it that way as it's intended for the track crowd.

The regular IX is very limited in "crap", but has the standard awesome seats and power windows/locks.
That is a REAL drivers car in terms of construction for the purity of the driving. It's pricey, but take look at how it's built and you see the money is spent nicely.

Overall though, it's not a comparable car to the 3 series.
The EVO has no "lux" pretenses or brand prestige, nor does it hint at daily utility. It's a pure sports car through it's core, and for that,
it rocks!
I couldn't handle it day to day though. I do want some daily "civility" and sporting capability. Thus, the 3 series.

T
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #65
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDREW
well a base 3 series lease is so high because its not worth much later on.. a 33k msrp lease is 430 a month and a 41k lease is 500. not much difference but its better to have all the options in it.
I was agreeing with you to a certain point.
But, I think you're misunderstanding how leases work.
First a "base" 3 series is not $33k. It is $31,595 delivered, that's a 325i, manual in black, red, or white.

But, the point is that the residual is the SAME. That means, the percentage value at the end of the lease term is the same in
$31k car vs. a $41k car given the same lease miles.
For 12k, it's 64% and for 15k it's 62%.

You can't simply compare the lease costs that easily.
A 330i currently is leasing for nearly the same as a 325i due to differences in lease rates.
Still, the residual is an equal percentage of what you spent no matter what options you included.

The lease does not cost less because you got more options.
You're implying that more options, which give a greater overall cost, leads to a lower monthy because the car is worth more at the end of the lease term. That is FALSE. The leases are just pretty darn good with the 3 series in general. So, you can get more options for not much overall lease cost.

However, for the person who opts to buy with a loan or cash, there is a consideration on the value or worth of the items as buyers generally keep their cars longer.

So, again, I agree with you that getting options can still be worth the extra cost as the added options do get a return on the spent money when you go to sell it. That is not a considertion with a lease as the residual value of the car is a known percentage upfront taking the additonal options into the calculation.
You aren't going to get a 70% residual just because you optioned
your 3 series with every known item, while the other 3 series buyer purchased the base model. You will both get the same residual percentage on the lease.

T
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #66
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoSEA
You call it stupid crap and then say that most of it should be standard equipt-huh? The only reason for not getting the PP in my opinion is that more electronic means more things to malfunction or break.
Maybe my statement abount PP was misunderstood. I was qouting a few magazine writers (Bimmer, Roundel, etc.) reasonings for not purchasing additional options or packages on a BMW. I purchased my E90 with PP, SP and sat prep. I am happy with all of it (I would have left off the sat prep, but then I would have had to order the car and wait) My E90 325i TitSilver, Blk leather, PP, SP, 6 Speed Manual is everything that I want or need in an e90. The rest has already been said by LedZep.
Appreciate 0