E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What's the deal with dealers and BMW's survey?

04-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

What's the deal with dealers and BMW's survey?

When I leased my car, the dealer was telling me about the call you're supposed to get from BMW about your dealership experience. I figured it was standard BS that comes with a lot of stuff...but the sales guy was almost begging me to give him all 5's (which is the top score in each category)...telling me that even giving him a 4 is a "failing" grade. My experience was good (he was inexperienced, but very nice) so I said "sure, no problem". I didn't give it much thought. Then, a few days later, I got a call from someone at the dealership asking me how everything went and I thought THIS was the survey, but the lady went on to say that I should be expecting a call from BMW soon and that they would be asking me to score, from 1 to 5, on my experience. I was a bit surprised that I would be getting a courtesy call just for a survey, and I was having a bad day at work, so I kinda snapped and said that it took me 3 and a half hours to finalize my lease due to the inexperience of the sales guy and that I wasn't sure if I would be giving all 5's because of this. She seemed to this pretty badly and was telling me all kinds of stuff about how bad not getting a 5 looks for the salesperson, etc. I was still thinking "it's just a freakin survey!" so I just told the lady "we'll see how I feel when I get the call" and hung up. THEN, not 10 minutes later, I get a call from the sales manager asking me what went wrong, how he apogizes for any lack of experience from the sa...how he knows they need to work on their training and that it wasn't the sa's fault, etc. etc. I didn't know what to say...the SM was basically begging me to give the guy all 5's so I finally said "all right...sure". I mean, I guess it doesn't matter to me one way or another, so if it's helping the guy out...fine.

But man...anyone else go through this and why all the fuss?
2006 330i
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: hopefully...

i cant wait...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

I assume (someone correct me if I'm wrong) this is something from BMW NA.

There is actually an art and science to surveys, this "it has to be 5s" destroys all meaningful information that could be gleaned from a good survey.

Sad and stupid at the same time.

I will, however, use this information to my advantage next time, if it's still around. It is a bargaining chip for the informed consumer, if you're willing to use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300

i think its good that the dealers try to make sure that you are well taken care of and that your expectations are met.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHI
i think its good that the dealers try to make sure that you are well taken care of and that your expectations are met.
Well, of course.

But if everyone gets 5s all the time... then how is BMW to know which dealers actually rock and which dealers actually suck?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
But man...anyone else go through this and why all the fuss?
Unfortuneately the salesman has everything riding on whether or not you grade him a 5. I believe the majority of his commision is based on that. I know it is a screwed up system, but if the salesman HONESTLY did the best he could (since he was new) you should have given him 5's. If the guy was a bit of weasel I wouldn't hesitate to give him all 3's.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I cannot tell you how many posts have been devoted to this subject. Bottom line: the system sucks, it gets worthless data for BMW NA, they desperately need to overall it ASAP. It's so bad for customer relations that I would be willing to design a proper system for them if they fund a grant that includes a salary for E90fleet.
Appreciate 0