BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

[QUOTE=Stoutnj89;8150395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burger16b View Post

I know but when you do get European delivery u have to ship the car back??? Who pays for that??

Its included in the Euro delivery price more info on BMW's website such as insurance ect being included.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #24
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
[QUOTE=burger16b;8150425]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post

Its included in the Euro delivery price more info on BMW's website such as insurance ect being included.
Oh ok.. Thanks

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #25
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

buying new you'll never 'make out' on your purchase. (perhaps a very niche car, short run won't depreciate bad..think r32...but the 135 is not that car)

the 135 is a little bit more rare than say the 335, but i'd compare it to the zhp 3 series of the e46.

From my previous experience with e46s...a 48k car, at 3 years 25-30, and 5 years around 20. more miles lesser value.

buy new if you're planning to keep a while or want to spec out your car.

mine had everything except hk and nav, 09 in july with under 7k for 28k (from bmw dealer). that's some major depreciation. i know in 2 years, when i'll sell mine (still some warranty) it will be worth low 20s. realistically about 3k per year.

i move from car to car every 1-3 years; buy right, sell right (can't be in a hurry for either one) and i keep my expenditures generally at 200/mo or less. i try to stick with cpo or factory warranty cars but have so far not been burned on the few i've kept beyond that.

there can be a significant hassle finding the car you want used; plus it is used.....you'll find people on both camps here.
      10-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
my car had the sticker in the glovebox still. $38,xxx. i paid less than $25k. perfect title, carfax, blah blah blah.

in a word, the resale on bmw's in general sucks total ass right now
In reality all car brands resale has dropped a bit. But, it depends on the car and the market. In some areas used car prices have gone UP due to the economy and some people not wanting or being able to afford a new car.
In those areas used prices tend to go up as demand goes up.

Still, in general, BMW's resale is as high as it always is. It's a brand that has high resale value in comparison to other brands. So, let's say that a 3 year used BMW with 35K miles typically sells for 55% of it's original MSRP.
Also, let's say a typical same year same mileage used 350Z sells for 45% of it's MSRP.
Now, in the current market the Z is selling for 40% of it's MSRP.
Ok, and the BMW also drops the same percentage due to market, at 50%.
The BMW still sells for a higher percentage of it's MSRP, but it's actual selling price is lower than before, due to the decline in overall market value.
Thus, the BMW still retains a higher resale in comparison. Meaning, BMW resale hasn't fallen out of line in comparison to other brands.

BMWs are still rated at the top of cars that retain a higher percentage of original MSRP.
And, it may actually be even better than most other brands.
That is evidenced by BMW's recent surge in new car sales. That means that the markets desire for BMW's is higher than other brands, that show little to no improvement over the past year. When a brands new car sales are up, then so is their used car market prices, as demand is higher there as well.
Another factor demonstrating BMW's resale is BMW's lease rates that still show high residuals. Current 1 series models have a higher residual now than when I bought my 09. That shows you something positive.
BMW knows their used car market, as at least 50% of their new cars sales are leases.

Overall, a BMW will retain a higher resale value compared to most any other brand. In the Chicago area there aren't many used 1 series, but the ones at the dealerships still show a healthy price tag.
Seems the HPFP issue isn't hurting BMW as some people thought, or wanted, it to be. Good.
The last thing we need is for actual BMW owners wanting new or used sales to go down.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #27
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

i think it also helps that our cars are a bit uncommon, thus we get to set the price to a limited extent. there isn't much to compare to.

a 3 series is easy to find used, so the prices are low to entice people to pick theirs. the 1 series, even though i felt like i got a good deal, i still feel i paid more then i wanted for it just because it was hard to find, especially in manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
I picked up my '08 Jet Black on Coral Red 135i for $26k with M Sports package, premium sound, auto.
What was the mileage?
Does it have the premium package?
If not, then does it have power seats?
Blue tooth?
BMW assist?

I see you have coral red, which is leather only, but you can have leather with no premium.

Oddly, edmunds.com doesn't list, nor show a value for sport/M sport, or for the upgrade audio. That sucks really, cause those are costly options and they don't list a value for them. People use their website to get an idea on how much to spend for a used car, and edmunds does us a disservice by not including those options.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #29
Gdubz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tanzanite M440i (Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
What was the mileage?
Does it have the premium package?
If not, then does it have power seats?
Blue tooth?
BMW assist?

I see you have coral red, which is leather only, but you can have leather with no premium.

Oddly, edmunds.com doesn't list, nor show a value for sport/M sport, or for the upgrade audio. That sucks really, cause those are costly options and they don't list a value for them. People use their website to get an idea on how much to spend for a used car, and edmunds does us a disservice by not including those options.
38,5xx - Pretty high, but I didn't mind, I plan to have the car for a very long time and I only put approx 8k miles/year on it.

It has the M Sports package, the Premium Package (power seats, blue tooth, BMW assist). It claims to have heated seats, but I honestly don't know how/where to turn them on (I'm not an idiot, I just honestly haven't taken a break from driving it to break out the owner's manual :P)

I honestly don't know, I've driven manual-trans cars for 10 years and this is my first auto. I wouldn't mind buying a used '10 or '11 135i 6MT in a few years... I kinda miss the shifting already.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #30
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Just got an '08 w/ sports package, comfort access, upgraded sound and dynamatted in a 6spd manual with 39,xxx miles for $24k USD.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #31
///M///M Good
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: people nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
i think it also helps that our cars are a bit uncommon, thus we get to set the price to a limited extent. there isn't much to compare to.

a 3 series is easy to find used, so the prices are low to entice people to pick theirs. the 1 series, even though i felt like i got a good deal, i still feel i paid more then i wanted for it just because it was hard to find, especially in manual.
It's not uncommon because of an artificial limit that's going to affect the supply/demand ratio in a positive way for the seller, it's uncommon because few people buy the things new (low demand) and there's going to be few people in the market for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #32
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

take 33% off the new sticker price, thats the value of your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #33
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
as long as bmwfs supports their lease residuals, and offers super low money factors, I will continue to lease. i have zero interest in selling any car second hand, let alone a niche car such as the 135i. just my .02... all those who bought, good luck
      10-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #34
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
i think it also helps that our cars are a bit uncommon, thus we get to set the price to a limited extent.
that's not how supply and demand works... there is a reason our cars are not common... most people would prefer a 3 series. If this car was a fan favorite, I bet BMW would produce more of them.
      10-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #35
Gdubz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tanzanite M440i (Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
as long as bmwfs supports their lease residuals, and offers super low money factors, I will continue to lease. i have zero interest in selling any car second hand, let alone a niche car such as the 135i. just my .02... all those who bought, good luck
Buying isn't really bad either... I just think its more long-term than leasing, for obvious reasons. You can buy a car, make your payments, and in 3-4+ years go trade-in for a newer model and most likely won't flip negative. Just don't plan on upgrading in <2 years.

Obviously if the plan is to trade up every few years from the start, why not lease?

I've never leased a vehicle before, but with my track record the past couple years, I'm thinking I should start.
Appreciate 0